1.    #1  
    I have had my US T Mobile Treo 270 since July 2003. While I really enjoyed the device when it worked, I find it unbelievable that a device as unreliable as this was even sold in the first place and/or that Handspring/PalmOne never recalled the device to fix the various problems associated with it.

Earlier this year (2004), I experienced radio problems several times. Because I like the phone so much, I even put up with the rather time consuming, 2 to 3 hour, radio reset procedure on two prior occasions. About two weeks ago, I experienced the radio reset problem again. I performed the radio reset procedure but could not get the phone to work .

Frankly, I’m astounded by the dismal quality control on these things. From reading the various threads here, it appears that a lot of people have had a lot of problems with their Treo 270s. I for one am simply not interested in putting up with this any more. In fact, I don’t think anyone should have to do so.

I have totally lost confidence in this device as it appears that one cannot tell when his Treo might simply stop working. It is simply unbelievable that the only so called fix offered for the radio problem is the radio reset procedure, which essentially requires one to have access to a computer to backup one’s data and spend 2 -3 hours waiting for the phone to (possibly) come back to life. What if one was on the road and needed to make a phone call in an emergency situation? Also it simply makes no sense for someone to have to carry around a laptop to get their phone to work.

I have asked T Mobile for a refund of the purchase price I paid for this so called “smart phone” whose reliability is highly questionable. While I am not sure whether my request will be successful, I feel that if we can get a sufficient number of purchasers of the Treo 270/Treo 180 to document the various problems they have had with this device, perhaps we can take some collective action against PalmOne/T Mobil/Other Carriers that would cause them to refund the purchase prices or, to the extent such problems have been fixed in the Treo 600, offer a free upgrade to that phone.

Would anyone be interested in joining in such a collective effort?

If so, please respond to this thread. It would also be helpful if you could include in your email the following information:

1. Name on this forum.
    2. Device.
    3. Date of purchase (important for warranty purposes).
    4. Where purchased.
    5. A list of the problems you have had with the phone and how much time you have spent resolving the problems (include prior exchanges of your phone, etc.)
    6. Days you had to go without phone service while waiting for phone to be repaired/exchanged.
    7. Identity of your carrier.
    8. State of your residence.

Thanks for the input. Please use asterisks before the numbers in submitting your responses as this would facilitate automatically entering this information into a database.

My information

*1. ssbtreo
    *2. Treo 270
    *3. July 28, 2003
    *4. Amazon.com
    *5. Radio reset problems on 3 occasions. Fixed by following radio reset procedure on 2 prior occasions. No luck with radio reset procedure on third occasion. Spent nearly 12 hours trying to resolving these issues (including time spent performing radio reset procedure and talking to T Mobile customer support/downloading radio reset application, etc.)
    *6. 2 weeks.
    *7. T Mobile
    *8. California
    Have you tried asking to exchange your 270? Perhaps you have a bad unit? Unless you have given them a chance to fix the problem, it seems a bit rushed to push for the class action you are suggesting.

Good luck though getting your phone working how it should.
    Quote Originally Posted by ssbtreo
    Frankly, I’m astounded by the dismal quality of this thing.
    Fixed to correct for inductive reasoning.
    My girlfriend's Treo 270's lid just cracked (surprise, surprise). PalmOne wants proof of purchase that I'm going to have to hunt down -- if I haven't already lost it. The thing is, I know I bought in in January of this year and registered it immediately after purchase. By amazing coincidence, they have no record of the registration and claim it is out of warranty.

Considering how many cracked flip lids I've read about on these things, I'm really amazed that an actual class action suit hasn't been filed for this problem alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by ssbtreo
    to the extent such problems have been fixed in the Treo 600, offer a free upgrade to that phone.
    LMAO! You're having problems with the 270, a phone that I NEVER had a single problem with AND you're wanting a free "upgrade" to the more problematic 600? LMAO!
    I'll join your crusade! I have had two Treo 270 phones w/ cracked lids. I use my phone about 2-3 times per week and yet I still managed to have the lid crack on both of them. I am no longer under warranty w/ Handspring and all that they can offer me is $150 to fix my phone. When I ask them what I should do next year when the lid breaks (since it is apparently a design defect on their part) they inform me that I will need to pay again to have the phone fixed. So I am stuck -- keep paying $150 a year to maintain my phone or just write the $500 off.

I regret buying this product so much because when you do go to walk away from it, you are walking away from more than just a phone, you are walking away from a PDA, text messager, web browser, etc. It was an investment thrown down the drain for me.
    Also, I am so frustrated w/ the customer service at handspring --- I start off every email message w/ "My handspring is no longer under warranty, but I feel this product defect should be fixed by you" .. and they answer all of my requests w/ the same answer ==== "If your device is under warranty, then you should mail it in for repair" ==== I am frustrated because they don't actually read the message I am sending.

Here's my info:

1. Name on this forum: ccdd1144

2. Device: Treo 270

3. Date of purchase: September 2001

4. Where purchased: Online from Handspring

5. A list of the problems you have had with the phone:
    Broken lids -- but the device is used very little

6. Days you had to go without phone service while waiting for phone to be repaired/exchanged: 15

7. Identity of your carrier: Cingular Wireless

8. State of your residence: California
    Threads like this make me sick.

Look, the first generation Treos were just that. If you were expecting a perfect product, you probably also believe in the easter bunny.

Handspring/Palm offered a $399 upgrade to all Treo owners. If you chose not to accept it, that's your fault. Legally, all they are required to do is honor the terms of the warranty they provide with the product. Asking for more is ridiculous. If you prevail (which you won't) Handspring/Palm will make themselves liable for refunds to all of us who bought the upgrade. For that reason alone, you might as well forget about it. Bottom line is it'll never happen and its obnoxious and childish of you to expect it will.

GET OVER IT!!!!
    I have the same problems with t270 and t-mobile.
    Right hinge on the flip cover was blocked and the cover broken twice, still
    under wararnty. T-mobile replaced but both time charged me for $70.

My SIM card cover slipepd out and was lost twice, as well. LAst year in March, Handspring sent me a replacement adn I paid less then 10 bucks for it, but I ma now without teh cover and the phobne for three weeks and there is no help. None wants to sell it!

What a shame for both companies.
    Regarduing the therad - how can we succeed when you have those guys like DUOART - he is happy, or is STILL happy and he simply doesn't listen.
    Forget it!
    Does anyone have a SIM card cover to sell?
    You can't succeed and you shouldn't.

My wife and I had T180s (my wife still does) she broke her cover twice. I simply acknowledged it as a weakness in the design and bought a replacement on Ebay the first time and epoxied it the second time. I did the "battery drain radio reset trick" twice on my unit. Annoying, but it worked. Had two warranty replacements for GPRS not working correctly.

Yes the first generation Treos are dogs. Quit your complaining. Case breakage like that does not qualify for warranty replacement. The loss of the SIM door is troublesome. If I still had my wife's first T180 I'd send you the door. Even so, you can probably get replacements from Palm/Handspring but if you're too cheap to do it there is another solution: duct tape.

Life sucks sometimes. Get over it. There's no reason why Palm/Handspring should give anyone a phone with greatly enhanced features for free or pay refunds for phones that work as advertised but have cases that are kind of flimsy.

By the way: T-Mobile offers damage/theft/loss insurance for $3.99 a month. I'd strongly recommend it.
    Last edited by duoart; 06/24/2004 at 07:52 PM.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    (Oops.. sorry.. first use of the Quick reply option)

Sorry, but this post doesn't make sense -especially for a first post.

I've had my Treo 270 since August 2002: zero problems and it still works all day nearly every weekday. I've got Blazer feeding me stock quotes, news, etc. in always-on mode, or the phone going, from about 9 to 4 about 250 days a year. I've never liked the Palm software, but for the basic functions I need, the 270 has been great. I'm waiting for a better idea, but I haven't seen one yet -including the 600.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Thank you for your efforts. Snarky comments here notwithstanding, it is time SOMEONE did something about this. There is a design flaw with this phone. If it is used any amount at all, it cannot NOT break.

I'm on my third one in 6 months. Broken right hinge every time. The second one broke within a WEEK. This one broke too but my husband glued it back together. It looks like hell but the repair has lasted 3 or 4 months now which is more than I can say for the original. He had to remove the hinge functions though so now it doesn't turn on and off when you open and close the flip.

T-Mobile sucks in every way. They charged me $70 for the replacement phone, even though I had ASKED for the insurance, as I ALWAYS do because I always get fairly expensive phones.

Here's my info:

1. Bliss149
    2. Treo 270
    3. January 13, 2004
    4. Next Generation Mobile
    5. BROKEN FLIP x 3
    6. T-Mobile was AWFUL about getting me another phone. They offered me some lousy loaner phone. What the hell good is that to me without a PDA?
    7. I use the phone for business and was it for about a week.
    8. T-Mobile
    9. MS
    Ooops - forgot the asterisks:

*1. Bliss149
    *2. Treo 270
    *3. January 13, 2004
    *4. Next Generation Mobile
    *5. BROKEN FLIP x 3
    *6. T-Mobile was AWFUL about getting me another phone. They offered me some lousy loaner phone. What the hell good is that to me without a PDA?
    *7. I use the phone for business and was it for about a week.
    *8. T-Mobile
    *9. MS

P.S. There were also a lot of disgruntled users on C-Net.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo
    (Oops.. sorry.. first use of the Quick reply option)

Sorry, but this post doesn't make sense -especially for a first post.

I've had my Treo 270 since August 2002: zero problems and it still works all day nearly every weekday. I've got Blazer feeding me stock quotes, news, etc. in always-on mode, or the phone going, from about 9 to 4 about 250 days a year. I've never liked the Palm software, but for the basic functions I need, the 270 has been great. I'm waiting for a better idea, but I haven't seen one yet -including the 600.
    I've had it since they first came out in (I think) June, 2002, and except for the original backlight problem which was solved by a replacement unit the first week I had it, I have not had a cracked lid (although, having known about the problem, I open and close it delicately), a problem with the sim cover or battery problems. When I travel, I use it extensively for email and I use it everyday.

When I DO upgrade, what is the best platform? GSM-GPRS or Sprint's?
    Quote Originally Posted by briareus
    Considering how many cracked flip lids I've read about on these things, I'm really amazed that an actual class action suit hasn't been filed for this problem alone.
    The only people who make out in class action suits are the lawyers. The best you can expect is discount on an upgrade and probably a small one at that.

By the way, I'm pretty sure that the reason the lids break is that people push the speaker against their head by holding the heavy part of the treo (keyboard and screen part). That stresses the hinge. If you put your hand on both parts and use your finger behind flip lid to push against your ear, you'll stress the hinge less. I never broke my lid, but my wife did twice. She's not had a broken lid since she stared being more careful.

GET OVER IT PEOPLE!!!!
    Seems to me that if Handspring knew it was a design flaw they should be willing to replace/repair the hinge.
    Bad news-- I bought my 270 last August and the hinge broke this am, right hinge jammed and lid cracked off at the hinge. Since it is out of warranty I expected to pay for the repairs BUT...they wanted to charge me $159 for a broken hinge! Wouldn't pay that in a million years for a hinge, especially if it is a design flaw. I wanted to purchase a hinge and repair it myself but they conveniently had "none in stock". I went on-line with AT&T and ordered my 600 after I found out my 270 couldn't be fixed without paying an exorbitant amount.
    Good news--I called PalmOne AGAIN this morning (still stewing) and after a bit of polite arguing, they have agreed to repair the hinge AND waive the $159 fee. Now I'll have to put my order for the 600 on hold and see what happens.