1.    #1  
    guys ...
    i hate it when any media player will look in audio folder /Audio in your SD card.. is there any @#$@#$# way we can disable this ??
    i already sorted my SD card like this

DCIM
    DOCS
    FAV
    httpd
    IMG
    MID
    MP3
    PALM
    PRC

so why the hell they will look the mp3 in /Audio ? cant we disable this ? Im currently running RealAudio for palm which when i noticed this problem.

No problem with Ptunes..
    Why are you bothering with RealAudio then?
  3.    #3  
    coz real audio can do streaming video ..
    and its faster in selecting songs ..
    but the problem is it will only read /Audio
    How about putting your audio files in the /Audio folder? Look! There's a door in that wall you've been butting your head against. Amazing.
    No offense but if anything an /MP3 folder isnt an ideal name anyway. Suppose you have some .wav or .ogg files your want to play? They are all Audio but not Mp3.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    Define "any media player"
    Sounds like simply a quirk of realaudio so take it up with them.
    I've found that most palm apps and most devices that use sd cards such as cameras insist on particular directories. audio players is maybe one area where this is often not the case and so realaudio should probably follow suit. This way your existing sd cards that are loaded up to play in other mp3 players will not be incompatible with realaudio.

But, I find realaudio to be less than user-friendly in other ways too and so I generaly don't use it. I dislike the nag popups and invasive default configuration on theuir desktop client for instance. The same goes for Apples QuickTime plugin. And they both also share the fact that they *used* to be better.

So now I just use mp3 and ogg and wma & wmv and xmms or winamp or media player and ptunes.

The ability to do video is at least a feature that doesn't exist anywhere else without re-encoding the video into a proprietary format. (or do you need to do that for palmos realaudio too?) Even without the need to re-encode I'd find video of very little use on the treo unless I could watch TV. And THAT sure isn't happening soon.

hmmm or maybe it's not so crazy. Just set up a beefy PC with a tv tuner card and a realmedia encoder and server and a basic cable or dsl internet connection. Then access your stream via the treo's internet connection.

This would require at least one thing, but ideally two things:
    one: the realaudio program on the palm must be able to support internet streamed content like ptunes can listen to shoutcast or other streams.

two: ideally the realaudio client should be able to send commands back to the server so you can change channels.

realmedia could write that easily, but we can't and probably there is little hope of anyone begging them to write the feature until 5 years from now when the rest of the world catches up and realizes they could have it and wannt it. By then though, they can probably just have a actual tv tuner built in or in a sd card obviating the need for this TV proxy idea.

But that's not a show stopper. Right now at this very moment you can simply install vnc server on your PC and palmvnc on the treo and operate a tv tuner app on your pc to change channels. It's slow but doable, and you can set a really low resolution & color depth for the desktop in the vnc server and that coupled with the treo's fairly high speed connection would make it not to bad really.

Can realaudio play wmv ? Because there is a free wma/wmv encoder that can act as a streaming server that has some nice low bandwidth 160x160+audio formats which PocketPC devices can all play. I was using it back when I had a Jornada548 and devices are way better today than that thing was.

Damn now that would be trick Watching TV on my treo.
    Last edited by KEYofR; 05/02/2004 at 04:16 PM.
    Code:
    Brian K. White  --  brian@aljex.com  --  http://www.aljex.com/bkw/
    +++++[>+++[>+++++>+++++++<<-]<-]>>+.>.+++++.+++++++.-.[>+<---]>++.
    filePro BBx  Linux SCO  Prosper/FACTS AutoCAD  #callahans Satriani
    Quote Originally Posted by xaix
    [b]coz real audio can do streaming video[/b[ ..
    and its faster in selecting songs ..
    but the problem is it will only read /Audio

No it can't! The PalmOS version of Real Player cannot stream RA or any other type of file! The only reason to use Real Player is:

1) Its free...good reason
    2) To play RA files downloaded from Real store

Otherwise, IMO PTunes is superior to Real Player in every way and you can stream shoutcast, mp3 stream as well...
    Last edited by Gaurav; 05/03/2004 at 11:53 AM.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    No I can't!
    Don't beat yourself up about it, gfunk -- no one can do everything.
  9.    #9  
    sorry guys ..
    i think im just not in a good mood today ..
    after finding out with the lightwave problem i had ..
    sorry if im a little bit rude ...
    Quote Originally Posted by snerdy
    Don't beat yourself up about it, gfunk -- no one can do everything.

HA!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    No it can't! The PalmOS version of Real Player cannot stream RA or any other type of file! The only reason to use Real Player is:

1) Its free...good reason
    2) To play RA files downloaded from Real store

Otherwise, IMO PTunes is superior to Real Player in every way and you can stream shoutcast, mp3 stream as well...
    I still think Real Audio's audio quality is better than Pocket-Tunes, and that's a big reason why I've now switched over to real.

GFunk, I can't ever stop staring at your avatar.
    Quote Originally Posted by xaix
    guys ...
    i hate it when any media player will look in audio folder /Audio in your SD card.. is there any @#$@#$# way we can disable this ??
    i already sorted my SD card like this

<snip>
    so why the hell they will look the mp3 in /Audio ? cant we disable this ? Im currently running RealAudio for palm which when i noticed this problem.

No problem with Ptunes..
    The story here relates to SD card design. The design pholosophy goes like this
    1) long filenames and directory structures are hard to manage with small keyboards / palm screens
    2) it would be better if stuff just organised itself
    so the design is:
    a) the sd card knows what the default folder is for each type of file
    b) the installer (and other apps that were playing nicely) only put files in the right places
    c) the default folder for mp3 is /audio (not sure if it always is or not)
    d) there is an api where applications can ask the sd card where to look for a given file (e.g. mp3s)
    e) you have put your files in the wrong place!

In my mind it's actually a really good design - the problem is that people don't know about it so are expecting their sd cards to be like windows.
    I've had to adjust treobutler to let people do non-standard folders - there's really no reason why Real couldn't do the same!
    The palm installer will put stuff in the right place - but presumably other card writers don't bother.
    Hobbyist Software
    VLC Remote - Control VLC from your Pre
    Remote - Control iTunes from your Pre