Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    interesting...i just looked and i dont even have a handspring folder under prog files....

can you tell me the exact names of the files i am to delete (save somewhere else first) and I will locate them that way....

please
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ncasalejr
    i would love to do this but have no clue where to even find these files to delete....anyone have simple instructions for me? Please

I did say please
    I'll try...but I'm by no means an expert. These are the steps I took that worked for me. I really have no way of knowing if they will work for you as well. So please backup your unit before you begin.

First download and install the SysTool program. I've attached a copy to this message.

Launch SysTool (after you've backed up your Treo). Under preferences, have SysTool sort by application. Then make sure you're looking at your file list in "LIST" mode (instead of detail), and in the bottom lefthand corner of the screen, select the "U" for unsved.

This should now display your files in a format that will list the HsAH files, associated with "Unknown", at or near the top of your list....or at least sorted together.

Find the HsAH files associated with "Unknown" (I had 4) and delete them.

That's it. Please keep in mind I've only done this once and I'm not an expert with these type of database files. But you asked for help and you did say please...so these are my steps. They worked for me. Good luck.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by limoman; 05/24/2004 at 08:34 AM.
    interesting...i just looked and i dont even have a handspring folder under prog files....

can you tell me the exact names of the files i am to delete (save somewhere else first) and I will locate them that way....

please
    I am in no way an expert, but just do a general search for a FOLDER named "CC". That's where all of my data is. Let me know if you don't locate it.
    "I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer."
    I figured I would go ahead and load systools and have a question for you. What is the significance of all the files/items listed in "Unknown"? Are they needed? I only ask because I have a storage problem and would love to delete unnecessary files. Thanks!!

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by limoman
    I'll try...but I'm by no means an expert. These are the steps I took that worked for me. I really have no way of knowing if they will work for you as well. So please backup your unit before you begin.

First download and install the SysTool program. I've attached a copy to this message.

Launch SysTool (after you've backed up your Treo). Under preferences, have SysTool sort by application. Then make sure you're looking at your file list in "LIST" mode (instead of detail), and in the bottom lefthand corner of the screen, select the "U" for unsved.

This should now display your files in a format that will list the HsAH files, associated with "Unknown", at or near the top of your list....or at least sorted together.

That's it. Please keep in mind I've only done this once and I'm not an expert with these type of database files. But you asked for help and you did say please...so these are my steps. They worked for me. Good luck.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by csherman
    I figured I would go ahead and load systools and have a question for you. What is the significance of all the files/items listed in "Unknown"? Are they needed? I only ask because I have a storage problem and would love to delete unnecessary files. Thanks!!

Craig
    Again, this is pretty much new to me. Please read the following for info on these files and this app: (From the SysTool Website)

About SysTool

Occasionally when applications are deleted from the handheld or attached memory cards, it is possible for orphaned preferences to be left behind in either the saved or unsaved database on the handheld. These preferences are used for storing system and applications setting and registration information.

SysTool is designed to allow you to view and delete the saved and unsaved preferences that are stored on your Palm OS handheld.

There are two views of the preference databases available, list or detail, and these can be toggled using the buttons at the bottom of the form. The current database being viewed can be toggled by use of the 'S'aved and 'U'nsaved button at the bottom of the form.

The 'List' view displays the four character creator code of the preference, and then the application name which has that same creator code. If an application with that creator can not be found on the handheld (or attached VFS drive - ie. a SD/MMC card) then "-Unknown-" is displayed. If the application was found on the VFS drive then the application name is underlined.

"-Unknown-" preferences may have belonged to a deleted application, a type of application that is not searched for by SysTool (see list below for what is checked) or be registration information for an application still stored on the handheld. Therefore it is important to be sure that an "-Unknown-" preference belongs to a deleted application before it is deleted using SysTool.

The 'Details' view displays the creator (and version in [ ]), program and size details at the top. The box underneath shows the actual information stored in the database for that record. Where the values in the preference convert to readable text characters then these are also displayed, otherwise a single '.' character is used.

The two arrows at the top of the screen ('<', '>') can be used to quickly move through the preferences database for viewing purposes. The values inbetween show the currently selected preference and the total number of preferences in the database. In both views the up/down hardware buttons can be used in preference to the pressing the arrows.

Selecting 'Delete' will allow you (after acknowledging a warning) to remove the preference from the current database. As a warning, currently it is not possible to Undo this step. Therefore, it is neccessary to be certain that the preference can be deleted before continuing with the delete operation. As a precaution it is recommended that the habdheld is fully backed up before deleting preferences, in case of error.

Application Types

'appl' Standard Application
    'HACK' Hackmaster Hack
    'DAcc' Desk Accessory
    'panl' Preferences Panel
    'exgl' Exchange Library
    'libr' Standard Shared Library (Added v1.0.1)

NB: VFS drives are only searched for type 'appl' applications.
    Okay -- thanks for posting this!

Craig
    just deleted the one file...still didnt work...fustrating...i emailed HS on sat...no reply yet...
    i have 10 total unknown files
    cclk
    hsex
    hsdb
    hsdi
    date
    spr1
    vzth
    hssd
    mr 2
    cirf

i didnt see any hsah at all...

i must have a new problem!
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    cclk
    hsex
    hsdb
    hsdi
    date
    spr1
    vzth
    hssd
    mr 2
    cirf

Were you looking at Unsaved files? If not select the "U" in the bottom left corner of the screen.

IT WORKED FOR ME! Thanks Limoman for the help and the instructions. I can now send attachments with my email again!!!
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Worked for me tooo.. Thanks a lot..
    cclk
    hsex
    hsdb
    hsdi
    date
    spr1
    vzth
    hssd
    mr 2
    cirf

Were you looking at Unsaved files? If not select the "U" in the bottom left corner of the screen.
    Same issue here. I have no HsAh files regardlesss of view. What does this mean?
    This worked for me as well. Thanks for the help!

Nareau
    I have a similar problem with Treo resetting when I try to open attachments in SnapperMail with Camera. I have tried for some time to figure it out and even started a thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=52733

So far, no help from anyone: PalmOne, SnapperMail, or others. This thread contained what looked like a solution: I found the HsAH files on my Treo and deleted them with FileZ hoping to see this problem go away; it did not. Treo continues resetting itself when opening attchments with Camera. Seems that several of you had a similar problem.

Ncasalejr: Your problem looks quite close to mine. Have you found a solution?
    I am having an attachment related crash with SnapperMail and BugMe! .... When I tap on the "attach" icon in SnapperMail, I've got 2 entries for BugMe! ... if I choose either one, *bam* .... reset.

I do not have any HsHA entries in either my saved or unsaved preferences. However, I have two EPb4 entries marked as BugMe2004 in the unsaved prefs list.

Should I delete the two EPb4 entries to see if this problem clears? Also, if you delete something in Unsaved Preferences, and it was needed, doesn't the application re-create the Unsaved Preference the next time it's run?

Thanks for the help.

Jack
    Well! I thought that the problem with resetting was Camera related. Your experience seems to suggest that it might be something with SnapperMail after all.
    Sounds like the Exchange Manager is screwed up.

Quote Originally Posted by ZJack
    I am having an attachment related crash with SnapperMail and BugMe! .... When I tap on the "attach" icon in SnapperMail, I've got 2 entries for BugMe! ... if I choose either one, *bam* .... reset.

I do not have any HsHA entries in either my saved or unsaved preferences. However, I have two EPb4 entries marked as BugMe2004 in the unsaved prefs list.

Should I delete the two EPb4 entries to see if this problem clears? Also, if you delete something in Unsaved Preferences, and it was needed, doesn't the application re-create the Unsaved Preference the next time it's run?

Thanks for the help.

Jack
    What is Exchange Manager? If it is screwed up, how can verify that? And how can I fix it?
    Manorton: Although I still do not know about Exchange Manager I noticed the following: when opening an attachment within SnapperMail with JpegWatchLite I get "Transfer" window with a message "Transfering filename.jpg" and an option to "Cancel." When I select Camera to open the attachment I get the same "Transfer" window for a split second before the reset. Perhaps that is where the problem really resides: in the transfer routine? Is that what you call Exchange Manager? I tried to find on my Treo something with this name (Exchange Manager) using FileZ and CleanUp, but to no avail. So, what is it? Where can I find it? How do I test it?

By the way, I reloaded the ROW-1.12 update just to be sure that I did not screw up anything, an the problem continues.
    Here is a link to Exchange Manager

Like file associations in Windows. You double click on a TXT file it opens in Notepad (or whatever is associated with text files). JPG files might open in IE. Imagine what would happen if you deleted Notepad.exe and tried to open a TXT file. It pops up a window saying it can't find the app.

It could be that the settings changed or are corrupted. Did you do the Treo update? I understand the update somehope broke the file association links for the Pictures app or that there is a bug in the app. Does anyone know what changed (if anything) with the picture app?

It might not have anything to do with the Exchange Manager, but I'd troubleshoot that.

Quote Originally Posted by piotrek
    Manorton: Although I still do not know about Exchange Manager I noticed the following: when opening an attachment within SnapperMail with JpegWatchLite I get "Transfer" window with a message "Transfering filename.jpg" and an option to "Cancel." When I select Camera to open the attachment I get the same "Transfer" window for a split second before the reset. Perhaps that is where the problem really resides: in the transfer routine? Is that what you call Exchange Manager? I tried to find on my Treo something with this name (Exchange Manager) using FileZ and CleanUp, but to no avail. So, what is it? Where can I find it? How do I test it?

By the way, I reloaded the ROW-1.12 update just to be sure that I did not screw up anything, an the problem continues.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast