Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Any recommendations for a backup application (RAM to SD Card) for my Treo 600?
    BackupMan.....
    You might want to consider also BlueSync, since you backup to your SD, you might lose your SD to some bad readers and then you don't have a backup of your your backup.
    Back Up Buddy
    I like Right Backup best.

http://standalone.com/palmos/right_back_up/

JC
    You need to try all of them. I did and purchased two of them and routinely use only one of them. The one I ended up routinely using is Backup Manager (BackupMan). Pros and cons abound here, the cons not that bad. One thing they all lack is true security. Encrypting a file but not providing a password to protect that encryption does not do a lot for security.

Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger
    One thing they all lack is true security. Encrypting a file but not providing a password to protect that encryption does not do a lot for security.
    BackupBuddyVFS encrypts the backup and a password is required to restore (decrypt) the files.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    I am a registered user of BackupBuddy/VFS and though it may encrypt and a password is needed to restore/decrypt the files, that is not so.

I verified the preferences setting for encryption/password, ensured that the encryption option was set and then did the backup. After the backup was done, I then verified the operation with Filez. Yep, the new folder was created and the files were there.

With FileZ, I was able to cruise the folder, select a file, change the name of a file and subsequently copy it over to main memory. The file I copied over and experimented with is SyncAll. Now, does this mean that the file operates properly? It did. Does this mean security to me? No, not in the least.

In addition, when BackupBuddy VFS does its backup, it backsup into the same folder used before. If you want not to overwrite files, then rename the folder and it will create a new one.

The program does backup and restore. The security it offers is none.

The same with Backup Manager. There is no encryption, no password prompting, et cetera. The files are clumped into one really big file that Backup Manager works with, but anyone can open Backup Manager.

Security? None with either program. If you are looking for security, then check out programs like Teal Lock and PDA Defense and its Pro release. I tried all that I could find at the two major download sites and purchased Teal Lock and OnlyMe. OnlyMe had some minor problems and Teal Lock has worked perfectly (no crashes). PDA Defense did a great job on the first day, then after that, stopped working. You need a strong security program such as one of the above - all three are strong in locking the PDA, which in most situations is what is needed. Teal Lock added a few more features than the rest. Anyway, continuing. With Teal Lock, an option is available to allow specific file interaction while locked. My needs do not extend to this point, so I have not experimented with it.

The bottom line - if security is important, and it should be, then a good backup program along with a good locking and/or locking/encryption program needs to be used. Do not rely on the backup program by itself.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdType
    BackupBuddyVFS encrypts the backup and a password is required to restore (decrypt) the files.
    With FileZ, I was able to cruise the folder, select a file, change the name of a file and subsequently copy it over to main memory. The file I copied over and experimented with is SyncAll. Now, does this mean that the file operates properly? It did. Does this mean security to me? No, not in the least.
    BackupBuddyVFS does not encrypt applications, ONLY DATABASES.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    I did more playing and yes, it does when the backup is done, encrypt the databases, not the files. When I opened up BackupBuddyVFS to restore the two files that I had destroyed during play time, I was not prompted for a password. Again, what good does encryption do without any prompting for a password during the restoration process? None.

As mentioned during a previous post, a locking program or dedicated security program is needed in addition to a backup program.

Ben

=======================

BackupBuddyVFS does not encrypt applications, ONLY DATABASES.
    bclinger, the password is stored in RAM. If you were to hard reset your device (erasing all RAM) that password would not be there, and you would not be able to decrypt the files without entering it. BTW it has to be in RAM so that files can be encrypted using that password during automated backups.
    Ok, but the true security it should provide just is not there. Without a locking program, if the Treo or whatever the PDA one has, is misplaced, access to it is still 100%. If the new user acccidently deletes a file or whatever, it can still be replaced with no limitations. The hard reset scenario is a different aspect of a backup. If I did not have a locking program, I would feel much safer if my backup program were truely capable of being secure.

Ben
    ---------------

bclinger, the password is stored in RAM. If you were to hard reset your device (erasing all RAM) that password would not be there, and you would not be able to decrypt the files without entering it. BTW it has to be in RAM so that files can be encrypted using that password during automated backups.
    Quote Originally Posted by XistBoi
    Any recommendations for a backup application (RAM to SD Card) for my Treo 600?
    You can also try Botzam Backup. I've been using it since November with no problems.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    The first I tried and I just downloaded it again for play. Ben
  15.    #15  
    Thanks so much folks!
    bclinger, yes I totally agree that a real security program like TealLock or PDA Defense should be in place, but the security in BackupBuddyVFS is sound. If you missplace your Treo without security, someone has access to the un-encrypted files in RAM anyway! Besides, you can NOT take the card out and extract the files unless you have the ability to decrypt them.

BackupBuddyVFS's ability to restore files without entering a password might be confusing you. Its a matter of convience because you stored the password in RAM. The idea is, if you have access to RAM where you launch the app, then there is no point in asking for the decrypt password because you have access to the password anyway.

If you have a security app in place, RAM will be locked and bit wiped hopefully (as in our previous disscussion of why TealLock is inadequate for SMS lock), along with that stored password.
    I downloaded and tried Botzam again - same situation. I grant the statement of it being in ram, accessing the files on the card cannot be done outside of the PDA, et cetera. As for Teal Lock and the SMS issue, I have not seen that problem. My PDA locks and when the SMS is received, Teal Lock requires the password before progressing, at least in my installation.

As for the note by Xistboi, these discussions are very good in bring out the finer points in the programs all of us are interested in. Life with a PDA without a good security program is risky.

Take care. Ben

------------------

bclinger, yes I totally agree that a real security program like TealLock or PDA Defense should be in place, but the security in BackupBuddyVFS is sound. If you missplace your Treo without security, someone has access to the un-encrypted files in RAM anyway! Besides, you can NOT take the card out and extract the files unless you have the ability to decrypt them.

BackupBuddyVFS's ability to restore files without entering a password might be confusing you. Its a matter of convience because you stored the password in RAM. The idea is, if you have access to RAM where you launch the app, then there is no point in asking for the decrypt password because you have access to the password anyway.

If you have a security app in place, RAM will be locked and bit wiped hopefully (as in our previous disscussion of why TealLock is inadequate for SMS lock), along with that stored password.
    As for Teal Lock and the SMS issue, I have not seen that problem. My PDA locks and when the SMS is received, Teal Lock requires the password before progressing, at least in my installation.
    Again, with TealLock you only get the system's default lock screen when an external program like TreoHelper locks the device. In that state, TealLock does not provide any of its security measures like wiping the device after a number of bad password attempts. This also hinders activating a lock using other clever methods.

What is really needed is a way to bit wipe from SMS. Hopefully someone will create an API to activate it directly and TreoHelper can add it. Ive emailed PDA Defense. Sorry for being off topic but security is a real issue when it comes to backups on any computer.
    We have released VeriSafe - a utility that lets you store and restore your data from the external memory card.

Some of the features include --
    1) Auto backup (any time of the day)
    2) Incremental backups (only the diffs -- compressed)
    3) Partial Backups
    4) Selective Restores
    5) Encrypted backups
    6) Treo 600 optimized
    7) Fully 5-Way Navigator enabled (don't need the stylus at all)
    8) Efficient logging support

Another feature that is in the works is the ability to hard reset your device remotely.
    Quote Originally Posted by PDAapps
    Another feature that is in the works is the ability to hard reset your device remotely.
    Nice!! I would like to see the option to bit wipe a few selected files before the hard reset process. That includes their copies in the backup on the card. Newly installed databases would default to the settings: bit wipe RAM copy, dont bit wipe backup copy. Sound good?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast