1.    #1  
    I read or heard somewhere that either Verizon or ATT is now testing VoIP with the Treo600 using a software. Anyone heard the same or otherwise? I'm sure VoIP is the next big thing so I figured we should be on the forefront of this, no?
    I'm guessing it probably isn't happening. I don't see why they'd want VoIP to happen. They already have voice through their networks. It wouldn't be cost effective for them to use data for voice. I don't think we'll be on the forefront of this until we have wi-fi data access speeds. That hasn't been the priority for Handspring/PalmOne.
    There's no way any of the carriers would promote a VoIP program - the only thing that would happen is they would lose more money. In fact, if there was a VoIP app available, I'd imagine they'd put the same kinds of restrictions that they're putting on the PPP wireless modem apps - i.e. "If we can prove you're using it, you lose your network access".

Skype (http://www.skype.com/) recently made a PocketPC version of it's PC VoIP client. I've wrote them asking for a PalmOS version, but never heard back. At this point, I'd say they're the ones to watch. There are some open source H.323 apps, but I've not heard of any talk of getting them ported to PalmOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by manilenio
    I read or heard somewhere that either Verizon or ATT is now testing VoIP with the Treo600 using a software. Anyone heard the same or otherwise? I'm sure VoIP is the next big thing so I figured we should be on the forefront of this, no?

I know Orange offers a PTT service using the Kodiac VoIP client in Europe. (AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $cellular$ $based$ $PTT$ $is$ $basically$ $VoIP$ $anyway$). $However$, $I$ $understand$ $Kodiac$ $only$ $works$ $on$ $GMS$ $networks$... $Perhaps$ $there$ $is$ $a$ $CDMA$ $version$ $possbile$ $for$ $the$ $Treo$?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I now have ATT VoIP service for my home phone - they call it CallVantage service. Nice savings over previous Verizon copper wire service.
    I have NOT seen that they are offering this service to work with hand helds / cell phones. The home service puts a telephone adapter (TA) immediately after your cable or DLS line. I will keep my eyes open for this option.
    If they DID do a VoIP client for the phone it would open up a whole mess of problems for them on the E911 system (here in the Ew Ess Ay, anyway.)

It's a complex problem I won't go into here, but I doubt very seriously that there would be any real advantage to.

The CallVantage service is interesting, but God help you if you take that CallVantage phone with you somewhere (like a hotel with broadband) and have an emergency. They won't be able to find you right away.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    There is already a VoIP app for the Treo 600. It's called GPhone (http://www.vliusa.com/prof_personal/palmgphone.php). It works OK, but is more of a glorified chat app than true VoIP.

The point is that the carriers can't really stop this unless they shut down ports.
    Signed up for the free trial and downloaded the app for the palm (website says only tungsten C is supported).. It installs on the treo 600 but when I try to login, it says login failed. I can login to the windows client/website so I know it's not the userid/password that's wrong.