Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I am currently synching to the Palm desktop. If I want to change and synch to the Outlook calendar and contacts how do I do it? Do I have to reinstall the software? I certainly don't want to lose any data. Any help will be appreciated.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    I think that you will have to reinstall the software and you shouldn't lose any data. I'd backup your information on backupman if you have it, just in case.
    I'm having trouble doing the opposite to you and currently sync with Outlook. When I reinstall the software Palm Desktop says failed to open contacts, calendar etc etc and they don't sync. So I use Outlook at the moment. The only reason I want to go back to Palm Desktop is so I can enable a password to prevent access.
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Quote Originally Posted by danbee46
    I am currently synching to the Palm desktop. If I want to change and synch to the Outlook calendar and contacts how do I do it? Do I have to reinstall the software? I certainly don't want to lose any data. Any help will be appreciated.
    You have to install PocketMirror for your particular version of Outlook/Operating system, then check the sync preferences to make sure Outlook is set to syncronize with handset.
    Here's the procedure (direct from Pa1mOne support site):

< Home < Support
    Support Knowledge Library

Solution ID: 25263

How To: Switch between Outlook and Palm Desktop synchronization

Depending on your device, you might be synchronizing with Outlook using the palmOne Outlook Conduits (Tungsten T3, Tungsten E), or PocketMirror conduits (Treo, Visor, and some other models). Both of these types of conduits are installed and activated when you run the CD-ROM that came with your device.

Switch synchronization: palmOne Outlook Conduits
    These instructions apply to the palmOne Outlook Conduits that are included with Tungsten T3 and Tungsten T3 handhelds. T The Palm Desktop installer determines which conduits are activated during the installation process.

If you want to switch synchronization from Palm Desktop to Outlook, or vice versa, you'll need the original CD-ROM that came with your handheld.

Insert the CD-ROM into your computer. A window should open, containing the contents of the CD-ROM.
    From the Discover Your Handheld screen select 'Install Microsoft Outlook Conduits'
    Select Install
    If you are currently using Palm Desktop to manage your contacts, calendar, tasks, and memos you will asked to confirm you want to change to Outlook. Answer Yes to switch to Outlook.
    If you are currently using Outlook to manage your contacts, calendar, tasks, and memos you will asked to confirm you want to change to Palm Desktop. Answer Yes to switch to Palm Desktop.
    Please note that switching conduits does NOT transfer data between these applications.

Two potential methods for transferring this data:

See Exporting/Importing in your Palm Desktop Help and/or Microsoft Outlook Help.
    Ensure your handheld data is up to date prior to switching conduits, above, then change your new conduits to "Handheld Overwrites Desktop". Perform a HotSync operation to transfer data from your handheld to your desktop.
    Remember: Some applications will continue to synchronize with Palm Desktop. Use Palm Desktop to manage application such as Photos and VoiceMemo.

Switch synchronization: PocketMirror Conduits
    PocketMirror is third-party software included with all Treo and Visor devices, and some additional palmOne devices, that allows synchronization with Outlook.

The simplest way to switch synchronization from Palm Desktop to Microsoft Outlook (or vice versa) is to re-install the software from the CD-ROM that came with your device.

Insert the CD-ROM into your computer. A window should open, containing the contents of the CD-ROM.
    Click the option for installing Palm Desktop.
    When asked, choose "I want to use Microsoft Outlook" or "I want to use Palm Desktop" during the installation process.

Click to see larger image in new browser window.
    To come back, close the new window.

The installer will activate the proper conduits for synchronizing with the application you chose above.
    Duplicate records
    Be aware that switching between older versions of Palm Desktop and Outlook might cause the palmOne Outlook Conduits or PocketMirror to duplicate your records. For information about duplicate records with PocketMirror, see the Chapura article titled What causes duplicates when I synchronize with PocketMirror?

Macintosh note
    There are no conduits for the Macintosh version of Outlook available in the box with palmOne devices. Macintosh users require additional software to synchronize with Microsoft Outlook or Entourage on the Macintosh platform. The Entourage PIM conduits are free with Entourage. See also information on synchronizing with Entourage for Macintosh.

A little from Column A, a little from Column B ...
    What if you want to mix the synchronization between Palm Desktop and Outlook? For example, your Tasks synchronize with Palm Desktop and everything else with Outlook. Well, the good news is that it is possible ... but not with the software supplied by default with your handheld. You need to purchase a more sophisticated conduit set for Outlook which allows you to select which conduit links you wish to make to Outlook. PumaTech IntelliSync to our knowledge provides this capability.

Multiple users on the same desktop computer
    You can't install Palm Desktop conduits for one user and PocketMirror conduits for another on one installation of Palm Desktop on one PC. While this may be possible to achieve using the multi-user capabilities of NT, 2000 or XP, it is not a supported use of Palm Desktop
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    That's got to be one of the longest posts I've ever read! Seems fairly straight forward. Will see if I can swap them over.
    It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer- Albert Einstein.

Palm M505> Palm Tungsten E> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Sony Ericsson P1i (running Styletap BETA)> iPhone 3G 16GB

Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    Here's the procedure (direct from Pa1mOne support site):

< Home < Support
    Support Knowledge Library

Solution ID: 25263

How To: Switch between Outlook and Palm Desktop synchronization

Depending on your device, you might be synchronizing with Outlook using the palmOne Outlook Conduits (Tungsten T3, Tungsten E), or PocketMirror conduits (Treo, Visor, and some other models). Both of these types of conduits are installed and activated when you run the CD-ROM that came with your device.

Switch synchronization: palmOne Outlook Conduits
    These instructions apply to the palmOne Outlook Conduits that are included with Tungsten T3 and Tungsten T3 handhelds. T The Palm Desktop installer determines which conduits are activated during the installation process.

If you want to switch synchronization from Palm Desktop to Outlook, or vice versa, you'll need the original CD-ROM that came with your handheld.

From the Discover Your Handheld screen select 'Install Microsoft Outlook Conduits'
    Select Install
    If you are currently using Palm Desktop to manage your contacts, calendar, tasks, and memos you will asked to confirm you want to change to Outlook. Answer Yes to switch to Outlook.
    If you are currently using Outlook to manage your contacts, calendar, tasks, and memos you will asked to confirm you want to change to Palm Desktop. Answer Yes to switch to Palm Desktop.
    Please note that switching conduits does NOT transfer data between these applications.

Two potential methods for transferring this data:

See Exporting/Importing in your Palm Desktop Help and/or Microsoft Outlook Help.
    Ensure your handheld data is up to date prior to switching conduits, above, then change your new conduits to "Handheld Overwrites Desktop". Perform a HotSync operation to transfer data from your handheld to your desktop.
    Remember: Some applications will continue to synchronize with Palm Desktop. Use Palm Desktop to manage application such as Photos and VoiceMemo.

Switch synchronization: PocketMirror Conduits
    PocketMirror is third-party software included with all Treo and Visor devices, and some additional palmOne devices, that allows synchronization with Outlook.

The simplest way to switch synchronization from Palm Desktop to Microsoft Outlook (or vice versa) is to re-install the software from the CD-ROM that came with your device.

Click the option for installing Palm Desktop.
    When asked, choose "I want to use Microsoft Outlook" or "I want to use Palm Desktop" during the installation process.

Click to see larger image in new browser window.
    To come back, close the new window.

The installer will activate the proper conduits for synchronizing with the application you chose above.
    Duplicate records
    Be aware that switching between older versions of Palm Desktop and Outlook might cause the palmOne Outlook Conduits or PocketMirror to duplicate your records. For information about duplicate records with PocketMirror, see the Chapura article titled What causes duplicates when I synchronize with PocketMirror?

Macintosh note
    There are no conduits for the Macintosh version of Outlook available in the box with palmOne devices. Macintosh users require additional software to synchronize with Microsoft Outlook or Entourage on the Macintosh platform. The Entourage PIM conduits are free with Entourage. See also information on synchronizing with Entourage for Macintosh.

A little from Column A, a little from Column B ...
    What if you want to mix the synchronization between Palm Desktop and Outlook? For example, your Tasks synchronize with Palm Desktop and everything else with Outlook. Well, the good news is that it is possible ... but not with the software supplied by default with your handheld. You need to purchase a more sophisticated conduit set for Outlook which allows you to select which conduit links you wish to make to Outlook. PumaTech IntelliSync to our knowledge provides this capability.

Multiple users on the same desktop computer
    You can't install Palm Desktop conduits for one user and PocketMirror conduits for another on one installation of Palm Desktop on one PC. While this may be possible to achieve using the multi-user capabilities of NT, 2000 or XP, it is not a supported use of Palm Desktop
    Okay...what is the procedure for for syncing Outlook's Contacts, Tasks and Notes with my Treo 650 over Active Sync?

j...
    I don't have active sync and the procedure outlined above was with the use of PocketMirror (3rd party software) which I believe was not provided with the 650.

I currently have a problem with this myself. I can't hot sync (via USB cable not active sync) my notes as it hangs when it tries to.