1.    #1  
    Looking for some advice...I am currently bogged down with hardware. I have a cell phone, a Zire71 and a Sidekick. I use the phone for business, the Zire for Calendar and other Palm apps, and the Sidekick for email and Web (don't like the SK as a phone).

Obviously this is too much. I want an all-in-one device. Or maybe just reduce it by one. Am thinking of getting a Treo600 which will do the Palm Apps and the Web/Email stuff for me. Might not use it as a phone, I love my small cell phone and not sure I want to live without it. But the Treo could be a good extra or backup phone; I am thinking of the Sprint (like the color better, service is good in this area) version, and having a plan with unlimited data and minimum cell minutes.

Will I be happy with this as a replacement for my Zire71 and SK? (I don't care much about the screen res, I view some photos on my Palm but it's not a big deal to me, I use my laptop for photos).
    I put off using a PDA because I was not about to carry it and a cell phone. Along came the Kyocera 6035 and gosh, what a combination. The device was an excellent phone (and I mean excellent) and a great PDA (though not a lot of memory and no color, could not see it well at night, among a few of its faults).

The Kyocera 7035 was announced and never showed. Along came the Treo 300 and hey, more memory, color, a nice keypad (hated the stylus from day one with the Kyocera), and the phone was ok.

Along came the announcement of the Treo 600. Gotta have this the moment it is announced. Waited and waited. Announced and gave it two weeks to see the initial user reviews. Bought. Love at first use. A few problems due to its newness and approach of operation. Now it never leaves my side. Used solidly from about 6A until 6P, both PDA/phone. Reliability? no question there. The programs I routinely use that are not updated (beta testing) are rock solid. The resolution? No problem for me.Programs? Tons of them.

Programs? Email: Snapper
    Combined IMAP email and IM: Chatter
    Datebook: Datebook 5
    Backup: BAckupManager
    Alarm - Bob's Alarm

I even use some utilities from TC members.

What do I not like about it? Durability? It has been dropped bunches of times and it works like a champ. Size? no problem. Battery life? Yeah, the only thing that comes to mind.

Ben

============

Quote Originally Posted by zumabeach
    Looking for some advice...I am currently bogged down with hardware. I have a cell phone, a Zire71 and a Sidekick. I use the phone for business, the Zire for Calendar and other Palm apps, and the Sidekick for email and Web (don't like the SK as a phone).

Obviously this is too much. I want an all-in-one device. Or maybe just reduce it by one. Am thinking of getting a Treo600 which will do the Palm Apps and the Web/Email stuff for me. Might not use it as a phone, I love my small cell phone and not sure I want to live without it. But the Treo could be a good extra or backup phone; I am thinking of the Sprint (like the color better, service is good in this area) version, and having a plan with unlimited data and minimum cell minutes.

Will I be happy with this as a replacement for my Zire71 and SK? (I don't care much about the screen res, I view some photos on my Palm but it's not a big deal to me, I use my laptop for photos).
    I went from Palm Vx + cell + pager ---> Sidekick (couldn't live without Outlook / MSOffice synch capability) ---> Treo600. I never looked back. The Treo handily deals with my data/organizer needs, is a solid phone, can handle web/e-mail, as well as my word/excel functionality.

The digital camera/video is a nice toy, and the pTunes and mmplayer add a nice additional A/V feature that, now that I have, I make actual use of and couldn't imagine doing without.

I'd say absolutely make the switch.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks everyone for the advice.

Hope I can find one in the stores tomorrow.
    Wait!!!!!

Buying a Treo 600 is like going to Vegas and playing craps. You may be one of the lucky ones if it works. OR--you could be like heaven only knows how many of us out there that can't get one that works. Palm has a real problem with these phones. Read some of the posts out there. I am waiting for my 4TH phone. The service from Palm "Customer Support" is among the worst I have ever seen. BE CAREFUL!!
    What I don't understand about this post is the need for a small cellphone if you are going to carry another device. Unless your phone is infinitely small, the Treo alone will always be smaller than the Treo plus another phone.

I can't say if you'll be happy because there's always a usability process that people are used to and they sometimes don't buy into the new way of doing things. I can say that the Treo generally excels at all the things you are looking for which is the reason that most people here love them.

I have never had to deal with Palm customer support. The Sprint store has been great for me thus far.
    couple of interesting notes: i own happily and proudly own a blackberry 7210 from at&t wireless (phone coverage could be better).

treo600: i owned one for 3 days (along with the blackberry). i am a heavy corp email and bloomberg user (all my bloomberg messages are sent to my email). if you depend on Inbox Subfolders, you might as well forget the Treo, it does not have that capability. the keyboard on the treo is a bit small for my liking, but it gets the job done.

battery life: treo 600 1 day, blackberry 4 days

complaints/problems: not a one with the blackberry, but the Treo boards are full of Treo complaints. in truth, it's an inferior product in many ways, but i will say that it's full of more bells and whistles than any other product out there.

would i switch? i would either buy a small phone (for better coverage) to accompany the blackberry (or go with Verizon's blackberry but they still do not allow for non-enterprise server Internet Connectivity, at*t does), or wait until some software company comes out with an application that allows for Inbox SUbfolder access/viewing.

regards
    Based on the last post, I did look and see that inbox subfolder sync is possible, just not 'out of the box'. You have to upgrade the included Chapura PocketMirror software.

I guess that is the price you pay if you are using Palm anything with Outlook. ;-)

This is my first Palm style phone, but have owned Palm devices for years and have lived with those quirks.
    Zuma, this is what i was speaking about, these are quotes from other messages on this board (there are many good things to be said, perhaps some are due to user error, but i don't think these are):

how do i contact them? I am expecting 5th treo in two months. treo should be recalled. I have dreaded network search/calls going straight to voicemail problem along with horrible battery life/ recharge rate...

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my Treo600- that's the main reason why I've put up with getting replacement units (count them -- four since I bought mine in February).

Battery charged overnight... light still RED (not green)!

I got the third replacement today. It's a refurb unit with a dent (okay, a small dent, but still), a yellowish (but bright) screen, Cingular firmware (although it's not, apparently, locked), and the biggest problem of all: it randomly decides that it's been unplugged from the charger, so it makes the bee-deep noise of being unplugged, and then immediately makes the buh-deet! noise of being plugged in again.
    Quote Originally Posted by driddle
    Based on the last post, I did look and see that inbox subfolder sync is possible, just not 'out of the box'. You have to upgrade the included Chapura PocketMirror software.

I guess that is the price you pay if you are using Palm anything with Outlook. ;-)

This is my first Palm style phone, but have owned Palm devices for years and have lived with those quirks.

while i appreciate the help, i beg to differ. Chapura pocket mirror professional does allow you to synch subfolders, that would be subfolders of others than that of the INbox (allows for contacts sub, notes sub, and tasks). why do i know this? because the software still does not exist. i've tried multiple message boards, many have some slick work-arounds, but a gimmicky work-around is not what i'm after. why i still have the blackberry, it's the leader in business email communications.

thanks for the help
    This thread makes me wonder if I should have stuck with my T68i and AT&T. ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by springer
    Wait!!!!!

Buying a Treo 600 is like going to Vegas and playing craps. You may be one of the lucky ones if it works. OR--you could be like heaven only knows how many of us out there that can't get one that works. Palm has a real problem with these phones. Read some of the posts out there. I am waiting for my 4TH phone. The service from Palm "Customer Support" is among the worst I have ever seen. BE CAREFUL!!
    I don't seem to have a problem with mine. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones! Definitely my favorite phone/PDA/browser EVER!

Dave
    Treo 600 ROCKS!

It would be perfect if it came with a better phonebook rather than me having to shell out more money for an aftermarket app...

GO HERE -> LETS TALK
    and do a search for Treo 600.

Amazing prices with and without service.

I paid $100 more last week through http://www.a1wireless.com and I thought that was a good deal...

Jim
    The Blackberrry doesn't belong in this thread because the user is looking for something that will do Palm apps. He'd still need to carry his Zire and his small cell phone (he likes the small cell phone). In essence you basically just replace the Sidekick with (I think) a bigger device with a similar feature set. That's in the opposite direction from where this user wants to go.
  16.    #16  
    bmac, you are correct. I love the Palm OS and have some apps that I rely on; I cannot just switch to a Blackberry.

As for keeping my phone, I imagine that I could get used to the Treo as a phone and give up my smaller one, but for now I will probably keep both. Reducing from 3 devices to 2 is already going to be a huge improvement for me. There are also some phone number issues...I know I can move my Cingular phone # to Sprint, but I am still under Cingular contract and also have other phones under Cingular with Family Talk. It's complicated at this point, and I am thinking that once I get used to using Treo as a phone I can just switch later.

As for those warning against Treo for quality issues, my experience with these boards is that this is where all the quality and service issues come out about a product, and the problems are magnified. Overall this product gets great reviews and doesn't seem to have widespread quality problems.