Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Why Sound Off?

Well, I for one have often gone into church or a movie theater or some meeting and purposefully turned my sound off and then realized much later, after missing several calls, that my sound was still off. Sigh...

I read a post in the Treo Central discussion group about someone having a similar problem as me, turning the sound off and forgetting it was off. They said, "Why not an icon you can tap and start some mechanism to remind you that you're sound is muted." And from that was born "SoundOff."

I also did a little statistical research of cell phone users with regard to this same challenge and found that every one of them (117 users) has done the exact same thing. I quickly dismissed the opinion of several naysayers who insisted, "All you need to do is look at your phone and you can see the ringer switch is in the mute position." Not true.

Anyway, SoundOff is now available for free and I hope it proves useful to those who try it. It has worked for me but of course, your mileage may vary.

One more thing, if you like SoundOff and find it useful, you could make a small donation to my retirement fund by visiting PayPal and using my eMail address of cquick2@earthlink.net.
    Last edited by quickster; 05/17/2004 at 07:44 PM.
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
    Gonna give it a try. It's rare that I'm in a situation where I turn the button to mute, but because it's rare it usually leads to my forgetting to turn it back on. It might be a while, but I'll let ya know what I think.

Thanks for coming up with this solution!
    quickster,
    never failed to amaze me with his creation.
    thanks a lot mate.

~lanujang
    Great app Quickster. This is just what I needed. I can't tell you how many times I would go through the day after a meeting or church, you name it, not realizing my phone was silenced.
    Donation coming your way.

Tks Again
    Quick
    This is great, thanks! I almost completely missed this too. I can't believe what an elegant, simple solution you came up with. I recall there was a whole thread on this issue (pre-board crash)...I hope everyone who has been looking for a solution comes across this!
    Am I missing something? Installed and it doesn't do anything on my Treo? No icon, nothing?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Not sure what exactly the app is supposed to do. Am I correct in thinking that if you have SoundOff enabled and mute the phone it will display the SoundOff screen every 5 minutes?

If yes, next questions are:

* does the screen come on to display the SoundOff screen?
    * if yes, for how long does it stay on?
    * is the SoundOff screen displayed when the screen is already on?
    * if yes, how does it interact with other applications? e.g when I tap the screen does it go back to the application that I was using, does it automatically go back after some time?

Thanks for enlightening me.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mol
    Not sure what exactly the app is supposed to do. Am I correct in thinking that if you have SoundOff enabled and mute the phone it will display the SoundOff screen every 5 minutes?

If yes, next questions are:

* does the screen come on to display the SoundOff screen?
    * if yes, for how long does it stay on?
    * is the SoundOff screen displayed when the screen is already on?
    * if yes, how does it interact with other applications? e.g when I tap the screen does it go back to the application that I was using, does it automatically go back after some time?

Thanks for enlightening me.
    I thought most of these issues were explained in the readme text file but let me explain the operation here again.

Unfortunately, and as of right now, I have not been able to detect within the code when the User changes the ringer switch from ring to mute while SoundOff is not active.

SoundOff will not start if the ringer switch is NOT in the mute position. That is because I do detect this in real time when starting SoundOff.

So, when you tap the SoundOff icon the app will start and the first thing to do is set the time.

After this, the large SoundOff screen is displayed. Tap anywhere on the screen to dismiss that screen. After the preset time, the SoundOff screen will again be displayed and then every n time. You can dismiss the screen at anytime by tapping almost anywhere on the screen.

As far as I have been able to ascertain, it does not interfere with any other alarms or notifications or applications.

When you move the switch back to ring mode SoundOff will dismiss itself after the elapsed time and will not activate itself again.

As mentioned earlier, I am working on some methodology to detect the ringer switch changing position.

Hope this makes sense and clears up the confusion.
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
    Quickster, this another great app. Wondering if you could add some additional time settings to the notification times. Maybe one for an hour and a half (ex: delaying the notification, until you get out of a long meeting), maybe one for 2 hours (ex: delaying the notification, until you get out of a movie), maybe one for 3 hours (ex: out for dinner). Great app. I am also keeping an I on TreooffOn. You should post your email in this thread to so folks can paypal you some donations.
    New Treo 700P Sprint User
    Old Treo 600 Sprint User
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Demo
    Wondering if you could add some additional time settings to the notification times. Maybe one for an hour and a half (ex: delaying the notification, until you get out of a long meeting), maybe one for 2 hours (ex: delaying the notification, until you get out of a movie), maybe one for 3 hours (ex: out for dinner). Great app. I am also keeping an I on TreooffOn. You should post your email in this thread to so folks can paypal you some donations.
    Demo,

Will look into adding some additional, read that as longer, times this weekend.

I do have a PayPal account and my eMail address is cquick2@earthlink.net.
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
    ok so I need to clarify. In order for this to work, after I move the switch to the off poition I need to run SoundOff, because it's not posible to detect the switch change at this point?

Kind of a pain. If that's really the case, why not just make the app replace the switch. If we have to run it anyway, why couldn't it just do what the switch does. Shut all sound off. Then it nags every so often like you have it do, with a button to restore sounds on the nag screen. Maybe two buttons. One says "Restore sounds' the other "Stay Silent".

Pretty cool though. I just dont want to have to remember to run it when I flip the switch. Damn it I am lazy and looking for a one step solution.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  12.    #12  
    Woof said, " In order for this to work, after I move the switch to the off poition I need to run SoundOff, because it's not posible to detect the switch change at this point?"

Well, as of right now that is the correct procedure.

I have been trying to force the sound to mute within my application but there appears to be a problem with the Handspring API and that does not work yet either.

Stay tuned for updates as it is not a dead issue just yet.
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
    Still not sure I fully understand it.

Does it mean EACH time I switch to mute I need to run SoundOff? Or only the very first time to enable and configure it?

BTW, cool avatar quickster!
  14.    #14  
    Mol,

Thanks for the comment on my avatar. As a side note they are releasing Tron again. Great movie today and was really cool and ahead of its' time when it first came out.

As for SoundOff, until I finally determine when the User moves the switch from ringer to mute, you will need to start SoundOff each time.

Sorry about that, but as of right now there is no work around.
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
    Well we'll have to just be patient. Keep up the good work Quickster.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by quickster
    Mol,

Thanks for the comment on my avatar. As a side note they are releasing Tron again. Great movie today and was really cool and ahead of its' time when it first came out.
    A remake? I need to check that out. I remember having dreams about riding one of these bikes. Must be when I was 12 years old or something like that

Quote Originally Posted by quickster
    As for SoundOff, until I finally determine when the User moves the switch from ringer to mute, you will need to start SoundOff each time.

Sorry about that, but as of right now there is no work around.
    Did you ask on the developers forum on the HS site? Maybe somebody over there can help out with the API. In the meantime, like Woof said, we'll be patient.

Didn't realize you also did TreoOnOff. Nice little utility, too. Plz keep them coming!
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mol
    Did you ask on the developers forum on the HS site? Maybe somebody over there can help out with the API. In the meantime, like Woof said, we'll be patient.

Didn't realize you also did TreoOnOff. Nice little utility, too. Plz keep them coming!
    I was going to make a post on the Handspring Developer's Community but they have just merged that site with the palmOne PluggedInPalm site and it was misbehaving the other day. Progess, or so they say. Sigh...
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
    Good stuff here, quickster! I've assigned SoundOff to my "X" key, so whenever I slide the top switch to mute, I press and hold the "X" key right after to activate it. So it's working pretty good.

I know you're working on trying to get SoundOff to detect mute mode automatically (without having to launch SoundOff each time), so I'll definitely be checking back.
    yeah, I have the same problem - in the handsping header files there are virtual characters that are "supposed" to be posted on the Treo's event queue when the user changes the position of the mute key, but I never managed to see them being actualy posted. btw, the workaround I used, which "sort of" allows you to do this, is to check the state of the mute switch whenever Treo is turned on or off and then activate your alarm functionality.

quickster, if you figure out a way to detect the switch change position when it happens, can you please send me an e-mail at treosd@yahoo.com with the way to do it.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by nachon
    quickster, if you figure out a way to detect the switch change position when it happens, can you please send me an e-mail at treosd@yahoo.com with the way to do it.
    I will do that. I am persitant and stubborn enough to hopefully get to the bottom of this.
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast