Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by quickster
    What exactly are you changing? Please provide me with some details so I can try and reproduce what is happening.
    As far as I can tell all I did was change from 2 to 4 vibrate, or vice versa, I'm not sure; I will delete all and reinstall and carefully keep track and let you know in a day or two. Thanks.
    Well, this time it has been a total failure (vibration wise—the rest of the app runs perfectly and I love it.) Here is what I did:

My phone is set for sound on—vibrate off and sound off—vibrate on
    I deleted the old app completely and reinstalled Sound Off 2.5 (dated 6/11/2004)
    I set it up while mute was off (sound on), checking on autodetect, enable after reset, small splash screen, vibrate 2, and only show notification at power on. After doing all that, I failed to notice that I hadn’t checked off enable and pressed ok, so it was probably left disabled. Then I noticed it was not coming on when I turned on mute and realized I had not enabled it, so I went back in and simply checked off enable, and the splash screen came right on as soon as I powered up again. I then waited five minutes. (actually seven). Nothing happened.
    I then went into soundoff again, and to be cautious, still with mute on, disabled it; I then powered down and up and went into sound off, changed vibrate 2 to vibrate 4, enabled and clicked OK. Then, checking to see that the splash screen came on (it did), I powered down and waited five minutes (seven again). No vibration. Somehow this reminds me of a Beach Boys song.

Oh, and the phone vibration feature is operative (it vibrates when someone calls in the mute position)

Any suggestions?
  3.    #123  
    mdavis,

Thanks for that information. I will take a look at what is happening with the vibrate functionality after this weekend. My wife and I are celebrating 39 years of marriage. Yes, it has been wonderful but as with everything, it has had its' ups and downs.

Anyway, as I mentioned I will take a look and fix whatever it is causing the problemo.
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
    39 years. Congratulations, that's awesome.
    So I think I figured it out. If I checked off display only at power on, it won't vibrate periodically thereafter, is that right? I dont know if that is correct, but if so, I'm not sure its the best solution for my purposes at least. I like to see the notice when I power on, but even that some times is not enough to remind me later to turn off the mute, and the vibrates really do the job. Bottom line: I need the splash AND the vibrate. Am I right that I can't have both?
  6.    #126  
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis
    So I think I figured it out. If I checked off display only at power on, it won't vibrate periodically thereafter, is that right? I dont know if that is correct, but if so, I'm not sure its the best solution for my purposes at least. I like to see the notice when I power on, but even that some times is not enough to remind me later to turn off the mute, and the vibrates really do the job. Bottom line: I need the splash AND the vibrate. Am I right that I can't have both?
    When I first designed SoundOff I used the de-facto standard Palm alarm for notifications. It worked well and did everything as advertised. However, some folks thought that turning the display on every 30 minutes or so consumed too much power, even when they were using the vibrator. Go figure...

So I changed the design and used the Palm procedure alarm which has as its' biggest claim to fame, "not lighting the screen at alarm time." And in my case, alarm time is when I wake up every so often and check if the phone is still muted.

It now appears from eMails I have received and postings to this thread that the majority of Users really like the option of only being notified that the phone is muted when they turn the phone on again.

However, when using the Palm procedure alarm you loose some functionality and I really think this is because of the way Handspring poorly implemented their rendition of REM sleep for the Treo 600. It is one of the worst documented APIs ever done. And besides that, it does not even work they way they say it does. Sigh...

Okay, with all that said, what does it really mean? Well, it sort of means you cannot have your notify and shake all at once. At best you will get one vibrate when the phone screen turns off no matter what setting you use for number of shakes.

But what about? Ah, glad you asked. I am looking at a way to sort of separate some functions and perhaps have it so that the User can choose between what type of notifies they receive. Conventional alarm notification that lights the screen and shakes the vibrator or procedure alarm that only notifies you when the device is turned on.

Let me know your thoughts as I am not making any promises just what I am considering for the next update to SoundOff.
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
    Quickster,

I have no use for the vibrate feature.
    I like using the 15 and 30 min. screen display.
    I would like to be able to dismiss the screen display using the 5-way Nav center button instead of touching the screen.

Tks again for the great app.
    Last edited by TurboTiger; 07/14/2004 at 08:20 AM.
    When I first designed SoundOff I used the de-facto standard Palm alarm for notifications. It worked well and did everything as advertised. However, some folks thought that turning the display on every 30 minutes or so consumed too much power, even when they were using the vibrator. Go figure...
    I personally wouldn't be all that concerned about the power, but more about the distraction of the screen being lit in a dark theater.

I am looking at a way to sort of separate some functions and perhaps have it so that the User can choose between what type of notifies they receive. Conventional alarm notification that lights the screen and shakes the vibrator or procedure alarm that only notifies you when the device is turned on.

Let me know your thoughts as I am not making any promises just what I am considering for the next update to SoundOff.
    I like the idea of having the option to use one or the other. Or better yet, both. Is that possible? It's not clear from your posting wether you mean you can't have both features using one single alarm option, or that you can't have both features because you can't use both alarm options simultaniously.

My personal perference is to have it do both like mdavis requested.

--TechDude
  9.    #129  
    mdavis and TechDude,

Are you suggesting/desiring/wanting SoundOff to only vibrate when you turn the phone on and see the small splash display?
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
    mdavis and TechDude,

Are you suggesting/desiring/wanting SoundOff to only vibrate when you turn the phone on and see the small splash display?
    I would like the splash screen everytime I turn the unit on with the sound turned off IN ADDITION TO a vibration that occurs at ## minute intervals.

The splash screen is just there in case I don't feel the phone vibrate (which happens frequently when I have it in the case). And the vibration is there because if I turn off the sound to go into a meeting that last 30 minutes, then the vibration may remind me to turn the sound back on.

In the meeting scenario the splash screen is of little use because I'm not likely to turn the screen on right after the meeting unless I remembered that the sound was off anyway. In which case, why bother with the splash screen?

--TechDude
    I prefer it to act like/with Keygaurd. Basically I want to dismiss it AND Keygaurd with the center button. I think the small icon would need to be bigger/brighter than the current one to be more effective in this setup though.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    Several comments:
    1. I feel like a piker even engaging in this discussion as it seems I am complaining; the program is beautiful as it is and I, for one, should be the last to complain.
    2. I think there are several categories of users and they may each have very different goals in using this program which means that the ideal would be as many different options as possible, something that, if I understand your explanation, is difficult and maybe even impossible within the Palm framework.
    3. If I explain the context of my use, you may better understand why I only need two things: the splash screen when I power up, and the vibrate every whatever minutes if I am not powering up. I don't remember whether I muted or not -- the very reason for this program because we have very little indication that we have muted once we do so and tend to forget that we did it. In addition, there are times when I go for long periods without using the phone, and often those are times when I am waiting for a call to initiate my normally high use of the phone. Those times also coincide when I might have been in a meeeting, sometimes in an unlighted environment, so the only signal I should have is vibrate, and if I don't get that, I get nothing because, as I say, it may coincide with a time when I normally would not be turningon the unit for any reason, thus missing the occasion to use the splash screen. On the third hand, there are very often occasions when I would not even notice the vibrate but I am turning on the unit quite often and the splash screen would be the best option.
    4. Bottom line: I really would like to have the option of having the splash screen and/or the vibrate, in any combination. Now that I think I understand the operation, though, and because these situations come up for me in a somewhat organized fashion, it is not terribly difficult for me to go in and alter the settings when I know I am going to want only the vibrate, though it would be better to have that third option, that is, both splash screen and vibrate together. I don't really care which buttons do this
  13.    #133  
    Okay, now that I have a more solid understanding of how others actually are using SundOff I will take some time this weekend and look at ways to make some useful changes.

Although I must admit that the ol' cliche of "You can please some of the Users all the time and all of the Users some of the time but it is impossible to please all the Users all the time" comes to mind.

mdavis - Finally got the connection - "Good, good, good, good vibrations." At least I am pretty sure that is it.
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
    Okay, now that I have a more solid understanding of how others actually are using SundOff I will take some time this weekend and look at ways to make some useful changes.

Although I must admit that the ol' cliche of "You can please some of the Users all the time and all of the Users some of the time but it is impossible to please all the Users all the time" comes to mind.

mdavis - Finally got the connection - "Good, good, good, good vibrations." At least I am pretty sure that is it.
    Just in case I wasn't clear, I think my needs are the same as mdavis' needs. Totally agree with the old cliche though.

--TechDude
    Yeah, well, it took me just as long to get "All Shook Up," so we're even--or we're equally slow! I once joked with a guy on another site who insisted that you needn't set your modem higher than the potential transfer speeds (and of course he was right) and I said that you should always set it to "115K" because it was just like setting your amp to 11--it's one more than ten, after all, right? And he didn't get the reference to Spinal Tap. So he argued with me, and even after I posted a clear link to the dialogue in the movie, and then the actual dialogue in a post, he still came back and pointed out to me I would get no better performance. Go figure.
    quickster, where can I dfind this app?

thx
  17.    #137  
    I have posted version 2.6 right here. This is the version I have been using as of late and the major difference is that the splash display time is cut in half and with this change I feel there is no need for the Center Button of the 5-way for dismissing the splash. By the time you get to the button the splash is gone.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
    THANKS!!
    Nice work!
  19.    #139  
    What's New in SoundOff 3.0

Biggest change is the new SoundOff splash screen and the three different ways it can be dismissed.
    1) Center button of the 5-way naviagator.
    2) Tap the splash screen with your finger or stylus
    3) Wait just a couple of seconds.

The vibrate notification now works while the screen is off. I also changed the selection of vibrate times to 1, 2 or 3.

Enabling the auto-detect ring switch option will always show the new SoundOff splash screen when you move the ringer switch to the mute position from the normal position (sound on or not muted).

You may also dismiss the large SoundOff screen using the center button of the 5-way naviagator.

One more thing, if you like SoundOff and find it useful, you could make a small donation to my retirement fund by visiting my website, www.thequickster.com, and clicking on the PayPal button. Or you could just visit PayPal.com and make a payment to me by using my personal eMail address of cquick2@earthlink.net.

This version consumed lots of my weekends, my nights and spare, spare time but was worth it.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
    Just made a donation to your well deserved retirement fund.
    Tks Again Quickster
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast