Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lb505
    I take back what I said. The small icon does work. It just doesn't show up immediately when I turn off the sound like the large icon and vibrate modes do. It did show up after the scheduled interval.
    But is that the way it supposed to work?

Regards,
    --Mathew
  2.    #102  
    Quote Originally Posted by mathewlu
    But is that the way it supposed to work?

Regards,
    --Mathew
    In version 2.2 that is the correct behavior.

In the next release I am changing that as it appears to concern some Users for some reason unbeknownst to me. I guess it could be unsettling if you do not see an immediate action. Sort of that warm fuzzy feeling that everything is working correctly.
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
    I just dl'ed this prog and it's so simple, yet so useful. There is another function that I would like to see in this prog. Can you please add a button to disconnect from the GPRS? I hate to have to keep going to the pref to discon everytime.
    Quote Originally Posted by LordPhong
    I just dl'ed this prog and it's so simple, yet so useful. There is another function that I would like to see in this prog. Can you please add a button to disconnect from the GPRS? I hate to have to keep going to the pref to discon everytime.
    ?!?... Maybe I'm just psychotic but what business would a GPRS disconnect button have being located in an application that's designed to remind you that your device is muted??

It certainly would make sence to place a button for that in Quickster's other application called "TreoOffON". In fact I think that should be added to TreoOffOn... Just not to SoundOff
    I don't know why that reply is in this thread. I thought I posted it in TreoOffOn.
    I did a complete re-install of 2.2. The large icon works as expected...I get the icon coming up when the sound is turned off...and after tapping if off, it comes on 5 minutes later. It remains on until I tap it off.

The small icon does not come up when I first turn on Soundoff (when like to know that all is working fine). When the icon shows up 5 minutes later...it stays on for about 30 seconds and turns itself off (needs to stay on until it is tapped off).

Thanks

Russ
    Thanks for this great app!

James
    Quote Originally Posted by quickster
    In version 2.2 that is the correct behavior.

In the next release I am changing that as it appears to concern some Users for some reason unbeknownst to me. I guess it could be unsettling if you do not see an immediate action. Sort of that warm fuzzy feeling that everything is working correctly.
    Yes mine works as described, but I would definately vote for having immediate gratification. I like that warm, fuzzy feeling and besides instant gratification is why I bought a Treo in the first place.

Thanks for filling a big need for Treo users!

Best,
    --Mathew
    just wondering if it's possible to prevent soundoff from displaying if the screen is off? maybe an option in the setup or something - I don't really need it to activate the screen and use battery power if the screen is off - even if it is only like 30 seconds, it is annoying for me to see the screen turn on and off every 5 minutes (or whatever soundoff is set at) if I specifically shut the screen.

great app otherwise...
    Hey Quickster, how abt an option to have the small icon pop up only when the screen is switched on? This would function much like Simple Profile Manager's active profile notifier. Also, can you set a timeout for the popup? So that it will go away after a preset amt of time.

This would be useful for someone like me who normally only mutes his phone upon entering a cinema/library and who also tends to check his phone anyway whenever he leaves such areas. A popup reminding me that the mute switch is on then would be great and at the same time unintrusive (instead of being bugged abt it every couple of mins or so).
    Great idea regarding adopting the same kind of notifier as in Simple Profile Manager. That would make a lot of sense.
    I second that idea. My muting habits are quite similar and I would prefer to have it notify me like Simple Profile Manager
  13.    #113  
    The last three or four posts have made some very good suggestions that will enhance SoundOff for the majority of Users and I am looking at incorporating those ideas in the next release.
    Last edited by quickster; 06/03/2004 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Whoops
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
  14.    #114  
    Updated version of SoundOff is now available with several enhancements as asked for in this thread.

There are notes in the zipped file that explain the changes or you can just be adventureous and download the prc file and have at it.

Here are most of the notes.

To begin with, in this new version, SoundOff 2.5, you can access it initially without the ringer switch being in the mute position. This version will also auto-detect the ringer switch once you have completed the setup.

The "Setup SoundOff" button at the top of the screen is gone. To access the preferences screen you can use the menu button and 'R' or just tap the large SoundOff logo for a couple of seconds and then lift your stylus or finger.

Now then, to enable SoundOff just tap the enable button and to disable it, tap the disable button.

To select the time SoundOff will use for checking the ringer switch tap the pick list. The default time is 5 minutes.

You can select a vibrate mode to go along with your visual notification by tapping on the pick list on the "Choose vibrate method" line.

There are three checkbox options:
    1) There is a checkbox to enable the auto-detection mode.
    2) You can choose to have SoundOff enabled after the Treo resets.
    3) You can enable SoundOff to only show up when you turn the Treo on by using any of the available buttons.

Okay, you are finished and can tap the OK button. If you elected to use the auto-detect mode SoundOff will dismiss itself from running. This is normal.

After you have set up SoundOff, and I am presuming you will be using the auto-detect mode most of the time, slide the ringer switch to the mute position and voila, the app is launched.

To dismiss the SoundOff screen, tap anywhere on the screen within the confines of the large icon or just hit the return key on the keyboard. And hears the real tricky part, you can also slide the ringer switch from mute to ringer and SoundOff will go away until you launch it again. That simple, really!

Using SoundOff

Okay, now that it is setup and enabled, what happens? Depending on how you set the time, say 5 minutes, after five minutes have passed SoundOff comes alive and checks the ringer switch to see if it has changed from mute to normal sound. If not, SoundOff simply checks to see if it is the active application and goes back to sleep. If SoundOff is not the active application it launches itself but does not turn the display on. And that is all there is to it!

When you activate SoundOff by moving the ringer switch from ringer to mute SoundOff will immediately display itself as either the large screen or small splash screen.

When you tap either of the pick lists it should display the last choice you made and not default to the first item in the list. You can then tap any item in the list to make a new choice.

Alert notifications:
    Full screen - just the large screen and nothing else.
    Small icon - small dialog box you can tap to dismiss or wait a second for it to dismiss.
    Vibrate 2 - large screen or small splash and vibrates 2 times.
    Vibrate 3 - large screen or small splash and vibrates 3 times.
    Vibrate 4 - large screen or small splash and vibrates 4 times.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
    Quickster,

Excellent App!

Can you make the Center button an alternative way of dismissing the small icon, instead of just a tap on the screen or waiting ?

Then when I turn on my Treo, I can see that SoundOff is active, and dismiss it and the keyguard with two quick presses of the centre button.

Thanks again - looking forward to 2.6 with this feature added :-)

-- Rod
  16.    #116  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby
    Quickster,

Excellent App!

Can you make the Center button an alternative way of dismissing the small icon, instead of just a tap on the screen or waiting ?

Then when I turn on my Treo, I can see that SoundOff is active, and dismiss it and the keyguard with two quick presses of the centre button.

Thanks again - looking forward to 2.6 with this feature added :-)

-- Rod
    Been too busy at work and also in the middle of writing a checkers game for my grand children for their Palms, four of the six have Tungstens. Should be through with that soon or far enough along that I can take a break and make the change to SoundOff.
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
    Quickster,

I agree with rwhitby. Being able to use the Center button of the 5 way nav to dismiss the icon would be great, including the large icon that appears when moving the sound button to the right.

Enjoy your grand children-we can wait for now.

Tks
    I have been using 2.5 since you issued it; it works great and even the vibrate was a big bonus until it stoppd working; the only way I could get it to work was to delete it all (including that little extra bit that hangs around, but now I'm an expert in deleting them) and reinstall. Then it worked awhile. IT stopped again; I'm not sure if it stops by itself or if it stops after I try to change a setting, since I did that both times, too. But I'm sure you didn't design it this way so something is wrong...right??? By the way, I'm talking just about the vibrate feature; the rest of the app works like a charm and I feel guilty complaining. But now that you got me hooked on the vibrate feature, I really would like to have it back.
  19.    #119  
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis
    I have been using 2.5 since you issued it; it works great and even the vibrate was a big bonus until it stoppd working; the only way I could get it to work was to delete it all (including that little extra bit that hangs around, but now I'm an expert in deleting them) and reinstall. Then it worked awhile. IT stopped again; I'm not sure if it stops by itself or if it stops after I try to change a setting, since I did that both times, too. But I'm sure you didn't design it this way so something is wrong...right??? By the way, I'm talking just about the vibrate feature; the rest of the app works like a charm and I feel guilty complaining. But now that you got me hooked on the vibrate feature, I really would like to have it back.
    What exactly are you changing? Please provide me with some details so I can try and reproduce what is happening.
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
    Awesome app. I'm still testing it out, but from what I've seen so far. Very well designed. I am a little lost on two features though.

1) Only show notification at Poweron

This seems to make it show up at power on in ADDITION to when I use the switch to turn the sound off.

2) Vibrator mode 4 (Not sure about the others)

It only seems to vibrate twice on mine. A couple of times I turned the unit on after the two vibrations and it vibrated two more times, but it hasn't vibrated 4 times in a row yet.

By the way, "vibrator mode?" If one had their mind in the gutter.... well... just saying you might want to consider changing it to something like "Reminder setting/mode" or "Alert setting/mode". But that's just my opinion.

Great program. Thanks!

--TechDude