Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
  1.    #61  
    You can now choose to have SoundOff alert you with the vibrate mode.

When you select vibrate there are three choices and those choices determine the number of times the vibrator will shake.

Still do not have the small icon working the way I want and even though it is an option it does nothing yet.

I uploaded my last test file and not the latest so I just corrected it and now the vibrate 3 and vibrate 4 should be working.

You will also find the small icon working but it may not be the final design.
    Last edited by quickster; 05/26/2004 at 01:40 PM.
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by quickster
    You can now choose to have SoundOff alert you with the vibrate mode.

When you select vibrate there are three choices and those choices determine the number of times the vibrator will shake.

Still do not have the small icon working the way I want and even though it is an option it does nothing yet.
    I noticed that vibrate 3 and 4 do not vibrate. It lights my screen with my default launch screen, but no vibrate or big icon. Vibrate 2 and Full Screen both worked fine.

Is the vibrate option suppose to also include the Full Screen alert with it or just vibrate and display my default screen image? How about an alert option that includes both "Full Screen" notification and vibrates? Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by limoman
    I noticed that vibrate 3 and 4 do not vibrate. It lights my screen with my default launch screen, but no vibrate or big icon. Vibrate 2 and Full Screen both worked fine.
    Same here, GSM phone after upgrade.
  4.    #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by limoman

Is the vibrate option suppose to also include the Full Screen alert with it or just vibrate and display my default screen image? How about an alert option that includes both "Full Screen" notification and vibrates? Thanks.
    I had uploaded the wrong file and just corrected that situation.

Right now all modes are separate. Will give it some condieration on making a combo mode.
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
  5.    #65  
    The small icon display is still not correct so please ignore it. Although it will not cause any problems it still needs some TLC.
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
    Having problems with Soundoff 1.9. The program is not responding at all. I check on the options (tried them all). When I turn the sound off I do not get the usual logo indicating that I have in fact turned off the sound.

I wait 5 minutes and more, but never get a vibration or a logo to indicate Soundoff is working.

Gone back to 1.5 which I know worked for me.
    The viberate function only goes off once for me (meaning it viberates the two times after the defined time). Then after the specified time, it just pops on the screen no viberate. Shouldn't it viberate after each passing of the time as a reminder?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by ymmij
    Having problems with Soundoff 1.9. The program is not responding at all. I check on the options (tried them all). When I turn the sound off I do not get the usual logo indicating that I have in fact turned off the sound.

I wait 5 minutes and more, but never get a vibration or a logo to indicate Soundoff is working.

Gone back to 1.5 which I know worked for me.
    Sorry....logo if checked will appear, and vibrations if checked will appear. What I do not get is the initial large logo appearing when I first turn on the app.

Thanks
  9.    #69  
    Sorry....logo if checked will appear, and vibrations if checked will appear. What I do not get is the initial large logo appearing when I first turn on the app.

Thanks
    Before installing the new version, or any of the versions for right now, disable the app then delete the app and install the new one fresh.

The saved preferences are pretty dynamic for the time being so it is best to always delete the old version before installing any update.

That should clear up any problems.
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
    I find this app very nice and very frustrating at the same time. It seems a bit buggy, but I cannot always say why. There are settings I try to set and it tells me it culdn't save them, though in more technical language. It is possible this happens only after I've already done it and don't realize it, so maybe it maikes sense that it says it cannot do it, cause it's already done it. But because I don't understand, I don't know if that is the case at all. Also, it seems very sensitive to whether it is off or on when you want to go in and change a setting. I think, though I'm not sure, that I canot access it unless my Treo is already on mute. If It is not on mute, if I try to get to the app, it just scrolls away. It has to be activated, or at least muted, in order for me to access it. Does this make any sense? Oh--one other thing. After I uninstalled the old version, I could not get rid of some little tiny file it left behind. When I tried to get rid of it via FileZ, it told me it was a code something or other and woujld not delete it even though I'd already removed the application. This has happened to me with other apps, too. I hate that. So...what's the verdict...is the app a bit buggy, or is it me?
  11.    #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis
    I find this app very nice and very frustrating at the same time. It seems a bit buggy, but I cannot always say why...

Oh--one other thing. After I uninstalled the old version, I could not get rid of some little tiny file it left behind. When I tried to get rid of it via FileZ, it told me it was a code something or other and woujld not delete it even though I'd already removed the application. This has happened to me with other apps, too. I hate that. So...what's the verdict...is the app a bit buggy, or is it me?
    Well, personally I do not have any problems with the app but then you would expect that as I know how the thing works inside and out. Mostly.

After the initial setup you can then only access the preferences screen if the ringer switch is in the mute position. Of course, there are other ways to do this but this is the methodology I chose for SoundOff.

As for the other problem you are having with SoundOff and other apps this is a basic operating characteristic of the Palm Operating System (OS). The Palm OS is basically an event driven system so for an application to become aware of when something happens you register with the OS to receive a notification. And here in lies the problem. If you delete the app without unregistering you leave a piece of crud around and the OS has a little gas about it. Usually doing a soft reset will clear up any foo left over from deleting apps with notifications hanging. Not unlike the ol' dangling participle.

On the SoundOff preferences screen you can tap the disable button and if the app is truly registered it will unregister itself. If it was not registered you get a little warning dialog that states, "Unregistering Unsuccessful." You can see this when you are alone sometime and there are no kids present by tapping the 'Disable' button a couple of times. SoundOff registers when you enable it and unregisters when you disable it.

There is also an option checkbox that allows SoundOff to enable itself after a reset and most of the time I leave this checked unless I am debugging.

Okay, I hope all this makes sense and helps clear up your confusion. Of ocurse, eveyone's mileage varies on different days.

Anyway, I have also included an updated version, 2.0, that shows the main screen and also vibrates at the same time. Have not separted them again, yet. I am also still working on the small splash screen display but real work is getting in the way. Have to support my Palm habit don't you know.

Give this one a try and see if it does you better.
    Last edited by quickster; 05/26/2004 at 01:36 PM.
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
    I have a Sprint t600. I've installed v2.0, and I do not receive the vibrate functionality when the large screen option is selected. I also do not see a menu selection for "Large Screen + vibrate".

By the way, with this version the dropdown selection menus do not stay in place. You click on the dropdown arrow, and they quickly display then default back to the original selection...
  13.    #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by jblacken
    I have a Sprint t600. I've installed v2.0, and I do not receive the vibrate functionality when the large screen option is selected. I also do not see a menu selection for "Large Screen + vibrate".

By the way, with this version the dropdown selection menus do not stay in place. You click on the dropdown arrow, and they quickly display then default back to the original selection...
    The list of alert modes is:
    Full screen - just the large screen and nothing else.
    Small icon - not yet implemented
    Vibrate 2 - large screen and vibrates two times
    Vibrate 3 - large screen and vibrates three times
    Vibrate 4 - large screen and vibrates four times

When you tap either of the pick lists it should display the last choice you made and not default back to the first item in the list. You can then tap any item in the list to make a new choice. Hope that makes sense because I am not real sure I understand your second comment.
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
    Have noticed a couple of items which don't seem to work correctly.

First, I have selected 5 minutes for the updates, but the Treo seems to interpret that into just over 2 minutes. Have tested this over and over and get the same results.

As for the vibration:

The first time the Treo turns on and the logo is revealed, I get the vibration. If I do nothing...just letting the Treo turn itself off, then the next time the logo appears, there is no vibration.

If after I tap the logo when it comes on, then the next time it comes on I get the vibration. In otherwards it seems that I have to tap the screen each time the logo is revealed in order to insure the vibration. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks
    Well, I do appreciate the short course in Palm OS, especially for an absolute duffer like myself., I did try to make sure it was disabled, as well in mute mode, and did it several times, but this little 84 b or so piece was left no matter what I did (something like SountOff cqso, or something) and even after a soft reset it didn't go away and I couldn't remove it, getting something like code 539 or something. What's that all about. I have a day job too so there is a limit to what I can absorb, very different from my college days, for instance, when I could absorb all this and more, in preference to HIstory of Western Civ, or something, which just shows you how screwed up life makes us, since I really feel uneducated without that Western Civ, and the Palm OS, well, it's interesting, but what the heck, if you know what I mean. In any event, if you want to give me volume 2 or 3 of that short course it willl always be appreciated, so go right ahead when your day job allows it as well. In any event, I have downloaded the latest version and will let you know what the results are.... And, thanks. Having missed Western Civ for the most part, I do appreciate the PalmOS....

/And it is really too early to say about the new version. At first I thought the vibrate functionality had been lost, but I see it in the drop down. I am off to Italy for three weeks, so I will let you know how this works in a country where nobody minds nor even notices a little extra noise, so I'm not sure I will be muting the machine for about a month. How about that...!
    Last edited by mdavis; 05/25/2004 at 08:20 PM.
  16.    #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis
    (something like SountOff cqso, or something)
    That little piece exists for almost every app on your device. After you delete an application it will hang around forever. However, after you delete an application and then do a soft reset you can use something like FileZ to delete that extra piece. It is an articfact from apps that are not 100% ARM code running in emulator mode on the ARM processor. At least I think that is correct.

Have a great time in Italy.
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
  17.    #77  
    Have noticed a couple of items which don't seem to work correctly.

First, I have selected 5 minutes for the updates, but the Treo seems to interpret that into just over 2 minutes. Have tested this over and over and get the same results.

As for the vibration:

The first time the Treo turns on and the logo is revealed, I get the vibration. If I do nothing...just letting the Treo turn itself off, then the next time the logo appears, there is no vibration.

If after I tap the logo when it comes on, then the next time it comes on I get the vibration. In otherwards it seems that I have to tap the screen each time the logo is revealed in order to insure the vibration. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks
    You are correc about the 5 minute time being incorrect. I somehow managed to leave the wrong value in there from my testing.

THe vibrator thing is baffling as sometimes it works and sometimes it don't. Will get it fixed and that's a promise.
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
    Quote Originally Posted by quickster
    That little piece exists for almost every app on your device. After you delete an application it will hang around forever. However, after you delete an application and then do a soft reset you can use something like FileZ to delete that extra piece. ...
    The unimportant: It will comed as no surprise to you that it looks like you are right, but the first time or two I tried this it did not work; perhaps I had the order wrong, but the third time I was quite careful, and you are right, after soft resetting, for the first time I was able to get one of those buggers deleted.

The important: as of today, Sound Off did noseem to work with me any more. When I put it on mute, I got the big screen, but then when I went to various apps like phone or whatever, I didn't get the screen at all. From all appearances it simply was not functioning. I went into the programs and deactivated, activated it, deactivated, activated, waited far more than the five minutes in case it takes that long to verify the mute (although that was not necessary over the past week) and it simply didn't function. I finally uninstalled it, reinstalled, after having removing that little file, and it seems once more to work again--but I don't know why it stopped and, therefore, whether it will again. That little file may or may not have been a problem but if it was, I would assume it would have been a problem before today....
    Last edited by mdavis; 05/26/2004 at 01:13 PM.
  19.    #79  
    Went back and changed the way I was handling the vibrate mode adn may have found a minor bug in the process. Hopefully this will resolve those nagging issues with the shaker being inconsistant.

I have attached SoundOff version 2.2 to this post.

It still works the same as before, wait a minute, that is fixed so it should be working as was originally intended.

BTW, you can also give the small icon/splash-screen a test as well.
    Last edited by quickster; 08/04/2004 at 06:20 PM.
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
    Very Nice!!
    The small icon is MUCH nicer. I was worried, initially, that "Tap To Dismiss" might mean disable, but I assumed otherwise, and tapped it away. I am looking forward to seeing that icon again in another five minutes, when I'll turn this mute off and assume this phone is good to go to Italy. Ciao! And Grazie! Molto!
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast