Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    I'm dedicating the "Q" key to SoundOff. This will remind me that "Q"uickster came up with the program and hopefully rally him to come up with the solution to have SoundOff launch with the sliding of the button to mute.

We're rooting for you.
  2.    #22  
    With the help, and prodding, of another forum member I located a bug in SoundOff that caused it to NOT work lots of the time. I won't say exactly what it was but it was something really simple like an uppercase instead of a lowercase character.

Anyway, this update should be behave much better.

Still working on a methodology to detect the ringer switch changing position.
    Last edited by quickster; 05/17/2004 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Updated to version 1.3.
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
  3.    #23  
    I have been working this past week with another User and believe I will have an update to SoundOff finished this weekend that will automatically display the SoundOff screen when you change the ringer switch from ringer to mute.

Working now on getting it to properly dismiss the SoundOff screen when you move the ringer switch from mute to ringer if SoundOff is the active screen.
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
    Awesome! Thanks for the update, quickster!
  5.    #25  
    SoundOff Version 1.5 - Now with auto-detect!

Why Sound Off?

Well, I for one have often gone into church or a movie theater or some meeting and purposefully turned my sound off and then realized much later, after missing several calls, that my sound was still off. Sigh...

I read a post in the Treo Central discussion group about someone having a similar problem as me, turning the sound off and forgetting it was off. They said, "Why not an icon you can tap and start some mechanism to remind you that you're sound is muted." And from that was born "SoundOff."

I also did a little statistical research of cell phone users with regard to this same challenge and found that every one of them (117 users) has done the exact same thing. I quickly dismissed the opinion of several naysayers who insisted, "All you need to do is look at your phone and you can see the ringer switch is in the mute position." Not true.

Anyway, SoundOff is now available for free and I hope it proves useful to those who try it.

It has worked for me but of course, your mileage may vary.

One more thing, if you like SoundOff and find it useful, you could make a small donation to my retirement fund by visiting PayPal and using my eMail address of cquick2@earthlink.net. This version consumed lots of my nights and spare, spare time but personally, it was worth it.

Using Sound Off
    Version 1.5 Update

SoundOff installs like any other Palm application. Nothing complicated about it just use the standard Palm installation tool.

The icon for SoundOff will show up in your launcher as a small speaker with the international de facto standard red ring with a bar overlaid on the speaker. Pretty clever huh?

To begin with, in this new version, SoundOff 1.5, you can access it initially without the ringer switch being in the mute position. This version will also auto-detect the ringer switch once you have completed the setup.

First thing to do is tap the "Setup SoundOff" button at the top of the screen. What this does is launch the preferences screen.

To enable SoundOff just tap the enable button and to disable it, tap the disable button.

To select the time SoundOff will use for checking the ringer switch tap the pick list. The default time is 5 minutes.

There are two new preferences options.
    1) There is a checkbox to enable the auto-detecting mode.
    2) You can choose to have SoundOff enabled after the Treo resets.

Okay, you are finished and can tap the OK button. If you elected to use the auto-detect mode SoundOff will dismiss itself from running. This is normal.

After you have set up SoundOff, and I am presuming you will be using the auto-detect mode most of the time, slide the ringer switch to the mute position and voila, the app is launched.

To dismiss the SoundOff screen, tap anywhere on the screen within the confines of the large icon or just hit the return key on the keyboard. And hears the real tricky part, you can also slide the ringer switch from mute to ringer and SoundOff will go away until you launch it again. That simple, really!

Okay, now that it is setup and enabled, what happens? Depending on how you set the time, say 5 minutes, after five minutes have passed SoundOff comes alive and checks the ringer switch to see if it has changed from mute to normal sound. If not, SoundOff launches itself and simply displays the full screen SoundOff icon. And that is all there is to it!

I have been using SoundOff for about three weeks now and it appears to be working well. I have also looked at further enhancing SoundOff by adding a scheduling event to turn the ringer off at some preset time but that part is not yet finished.

I also had another TreoCentral member helping me with version and he appears quite satisfied with the new operation. And just today I spotted a manager, who works where I do, with a Treo 600 Sprint version and showed off my NEW SoundOff version and she was really impressed and asked me if I could beam it to her and I did. Later that day she told me she was really impressed with SoundOff and thought it was the best utility app she had on her Treo. Blush, Blush.

Couple of Notes - well, maybe just one.
    If the screen is off when you move the switch from ringer to mute SoundOff does not show itself but is activated. Turn the screen on and there it is!

Carl Quick
    Quick's PDA Software
    www.thequickster.com
    cquick2@earthlink.net
    Last edited by quickster; 05/20/2004 at 07:56 PM.
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
    Great app but a zip file? Be nice to get it via my treo.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    I'd like to say this is a great app. Works fantastic. Only one thing I dont like. The big notification screen. What I'd rather see is some sort of little icon at the top of my screen or somewhere that shows sound off. The nag screen doesnt do it great for me unless I leave my treo alone long enough for the timer to expire. And then it stays on until the treo times out. Bad for battery life.

Can you do this quickster? By the way good job figuring out the switch.

Anyone else think like me?
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    I was just about to install this when I read what Woof had to say. The last thing we need is something that is going to put the battery to the test. Since the update, my battery doesnt last a day without having to be put on the charger.

From what you have said Woof, I am gathering that this app will keep the screen lit? If I've read you wrong, please enlighten me.

Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    I'd like to say this is a great app. Works fantastic. Only one thing I dont like. The big notification screen. What I'd rather see is some sort of little icon at the top of my screen or somewhere that shows sound off. The nag screen doesnt do it great for me unless I leave my treo alone long enough for the timer to expire. And then it stays on until the treo times out. Bad for battery life.

Can you do this quickster? By the way good job figuring out the switch.

Anyone else think like me?
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Quote Originally Posted by quickster
    I will do that. I am persitant and stubborn enough to hopefully get to the bottom of this.
    Was wondering if I am the only one having a problem with Treo on off since the ROW 3.05 upgrade???

Whenever i go to set times it resets the treo..
    Palm Pilot -> Palm 505 -> Palm Vii-> Ipaq 3670 -> Nokia 6800 ->Treo 600 -> Treo 650 Unlocked GSM
    Service Attws
  10.    #30  
    Battery life has not even been a consideration. During testing I was trigerring the device every 150 seconds and really did not notice any significant decrease in battery time.

I will look at a couple of different options and see what I can come up with. But for now I do not think it is a problem but then everyone has their own opinion.

I also uploaded the PRC file below.
    Last edited by quickster; 05/20/2004 at 07:58 PM.
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
    Good app, but problem I'm encountering is Treo resetting when I try hotsynching when the sound switch is off and Soundoff is on to detect if the sound switch is off.
    "This space intentionally left blank."
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by write1here
    Good app, but problem I'm encountering is Treo resetting when I try hotsynching when the sound switch is off and Soundoff is on to detect if the sound switch is off.
    Well, I have not encountered that but maybe it's because I did not test it in that fashion. So, I will take a look and see what I turn up.

Thanks for the feedback.
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
    I also had the reset with soundoff on then after hotsynching right after it worked. By the way love the program so far, have only been using since this morning. But so far so good. I have it set at 30 minutes.
    Quickster, still experiencing resetting with SoundOff when hotsynching, even when sound swtich is on. Have to disable the app to hotsynch now. Any clue as to why this is happening?
    Quote Originally Posted by write1here
    At the end of every HotSync I was doing, I would soft reset. Soundoff was enabled but the mute switch was not engaged. When I deleted Soundoff, the reboots at the end of hotsync ceased.
    Wiscer, if you disable SoundOff first you can hotsync without soft reset. However, it is more than a bit of a pain to remember to do this. I guess you just figured if the app does not really work just remove it...
    I hotsync waaaaaaaaaaaay more often than I go on silent mode...
  18.    #38  
    SoundOff Version 1.6

Worked last night and believe the HotSync problem is corrected.

Please give it a try and let me know, as I am sure you will.

I am also looking at an alternate method of displaying if SoundOff is active.
    Last edited by quickster; 08/04/2004 at 06:17 PM.
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
    My Treo still reboots after Hotsyncing with v1.6.
    Wiscer, I'm with you. This did not fix it. My Treo is also still rebooting after hotsynching with v1.6
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast