Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910
    quickster,

I don't know if you've been following any of the PalmInternals discussions, but I've been using PalmInternals to discover which apps are processing the 'hede' notification, and I discovered that SoundOff is one of them. I've been trying to get my Treo to perform a little better while running intensive CPU programs such as Nesem. I've been doing a little playing around with turning on and off the "hede programs" that I have (including ProfileCare and Fonts4os5), and found that SoundOff seems to be the worst one in terms of slowing down the treo. Is there any chance you could look at alternative ways of receiving and processing the event for the mute switch? Or is the 'hede' processing absolutely necessary for SoundOff to work?
    Quickster,

Here's the link to the thread whidden is referring to above:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=90357
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
  3.    #183  
    Quote Originally Posted by whidden
    quickster,

I don't know if you've been following any of the PalmInternals discussions, but I've been using PalmInternals to discover which apps are processing the 'hede' notification, and I discovered that SoundOff is one of them. I've been trying to get my Treo to perform a little better while running intensive CPU programs such as Nesem. I've been doing a little playing around with turning on and off the "hede programs" that I have (including ProfileCare and Fonts4os5), and found that SoundOff seems to be the worst one in terms of slowing down the treo. Is there any chance you could look at alternative ways of receiving and processing the event for the mute switch? Or is the 'hede' processing absolutely necessary for SoundOff to work?
    Well, I have not looked at an altrenative because basically, I use my 650 as a phone and not much else. And for me it works out just fine.

I will see what other methods there are for detecting the ringer switch being moved but when I designed the app, using my 600, there was no other way to detect the switch changing positions.
    Last edited by quickster; 07/26/2005 at 02:40 PM.
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
    quickster, thanks for contributing this nice little utility to the community. I know others have requested this and I wanted to throw this out again because I am curious what you think about the possibility: can you make a little crossed out bell icon to show across the top of the screen (maybe just to the left of the BT indicator?)? This would be more discrete and always visible in the Phone app (and some other apps)...
    You should try freeware RingerSwitch Basic
    RingerSwitch Basic can give you an attention when the Treo Ringer Switch turns to off.

RingerSwitch Basic
    http://www.palmgear.com/software/sho...?prodid=103788

RingerSwitch Pro
    http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...&prodid=107268
    Is it possible to just have the Treo LED change status when the ringer switch is off. I don't want an on screen message or vibration, but would like to have the LED blink fast red, or orange or something. Is that possible?

Thanks.
    quickster,

I just took a look at the palm SDK and found two notifications, hROn and hROf, that are generated when the ringer switch is turned on and off. I don't know if those will work for the 600 and 650, or just the 650.

Tenchi-Man, I tried your free application, but I really want the vibrate capability, and $7 is asking a bit much for your Pro version just to have that functionality.
  8.    #188  
    Quote Originally Posted by whidden
    quickster,

I just took a look at the palm SDK and found two notifications, hROn and hROf, that are generated when the ringer switch is turned on and off. I don't know if those will work for the 600 and 650, or just the 650.

Tenchi-Man, I tried your free application, but I really want the vibrate capability, and $7 is asking a bit much for your Pro version just to have that functionality.
    I will take a look at that this weekend and give it a try. Thanks for that information and not sure why I have not noticed it before now. I do have a feeling it is 650 specific but if that is the case I can discern the difference between the phone types.
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
    Any updates to SoundOff? I really like this application. But once I realized how badly it was slowly down my Treo (Thanks PalmInternals!) I removed it.

I've tried all of the other "ringer switch" applications and they just aren't as good as SoundOff to me.

Any updates?
  10.    #190  
    Well, I have been working on an update but it is not very high on my priority list because I have pretty much stopped using my Treo and switched to a more reliable Motorola Razar. But another point I would like to make is that in the real world of using my 650 I never realized any slowdown in performance as so many have mentioned regardless of what PalmInternals tells you.

And in the case of SoundOff, and the reason it works as well as it does, is that it needs to monitor what the User is doing and taking a couple of cycles does not really hinder the performance of the Treo unless you are doing DNA analysis or playing unrealistic games that the Treo was not truly designed to handle.

I did spend a lot of time looking at an alternative way to monitor the internal workings of the 650 and there is just not another way without grabbing some CPU time. But until Palm fixes things on their end, things will remain the same.
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
    I don't have any issues with my Treo running SoundOff.
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by quickster
    Well, I have been working on an update but it is not very high on my priority list because I have pretty much stopped using my Treo and switched to a more reliable Motorola Razar. But another point I would like to make is that in the real world of using my 650 I never realized any slowdown in performance as so many have mentioned regardless of what PalmInternals tells you.

And in the case of SoundOff, and the reason it works as well as it does, is that it needs to monitor what the User is doing and taking a couple of cycles does not really hinder the performance of the Treo unless you are doing DNA analysis or playing unrealistic games that the Treo was not truly designed to handle.

I did spend a lot of time looking at an alternative way to monitor the internal workings of the 650 and there is just not another way without grabbing some CPU time. But until Palm fixes things on their end, things will remain the same.
    It's just that when you have several hede/etc applications running at the same time, you will start noticing slowdown. You should design your app to use the cpu minimally when responding to the hede notification, especially so that as soon as you see that it's not an event your app needs to respond to (i.e. not the ringer switch being toggled) then you can exit immediately. Make sure you're not setting up memory etc or doing unnecessary things before checking if you should exit your app (in the case for responding to the hede notif). Even if you haven't noticed any slowdown on your device with it, it's still needlessly inefficient.

Maybe try using the ringer notifications someone found instead, see if those work?

Or make this open source if you're not going to continue development?
  13.    #193  
    Okay, I finally took some time this weekend and started reworking SoundOff to better suit the Treo650. Most of the coding is done and it is really a lot simpler application. Have not yet incorporated the Treo 600 and may leave this as only a 650 version. Not sure just yet.

A little more work this week and I should be posting an update by Friday.

Still doing some personal testing so it suits my requirements and then I will release it on the public.

I have also finished another application called TOO that is simply an icon that you can tap and it will turn the phone off or turn the phone on. Not really sure about the requirement but I had a request for it and coded it over the Christmas break. If anyone is interested send me an eMail with the Subject 'TOO' and I will make sure you get a copy. If there is enough interest I will post it here.

Anyone interested in testing the new SoundOff please send me an eMail with the subject 'SoundOff'.
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
    Quickster,

How does TOO differ from your other app TreoOffOn?

Tks
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
  15.    #195  
    TOO is nothing more than an Icon that you tap once and it will turn the
    phone off, tap it again and it will turn the phone on. You can basically do the same thing with the power button but it is often more convenient to just tap an icon.
    The Quickster
    "I'm your Huckleberry!"
    Quote Originally Posted by quickster
    TOO is nothing more than an Icon that you tap once and it will turn the
    phone off, tap it again and it will turn the phone on. You can basically do the same thing with the power button but it is often more convenient to just tap an icon.
    Tks for the clarification. I love TreoOffOn I use it to turn my 600 on each morning and off each night and when I need to do a soft reset.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    Ringswitch basic is exactly what I am looking for. It can be better if it can vibrate when I turn on the LCD (The ringswitch pro vibration is too annoying during a meeting.) I guess make the attenation vibratiable will do the trick.
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).
    Dell X50v, X30 624Mhz and HP ipaq h2210 h1945.

Treo 750 hacks thread.
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910