Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Dear All,

Just wanted to let folks know that ver 3.5 of WebViewer from ReqWireless is coming soon (I was testing it tonight). There are a number of improvements, especially in the Bookmarks, which now seem to work as advertised. They have added a whole bunch of keyboard shortcuts which are pretty cool (including a "back" key--the backspace--and keyboard shortcuts to your first nine bookmarks). You can now specify a startup page (instead of a splash page), and they've made it so the 5-way works like Blazer (up/down to scroll a page, left/right to go link to link). I think many you who disliked the last version will prefer this one. It was already my number one browser (I never use Blazer anymore), but I know others were not convinced. If you're one of those, I recommend you give this version a shot when it comes out.

BTW, you still need the J2ME runtime environment from Palm, but they will be distributing a PRC (but you can still install over-the-air from within the Midilet HQ if you want).

Regards,
    --Mathew
    Last edited by mathewlu; 05/01/2004 at 11:30 PM.
    How well will it handle frames and pop up windows?
    and would you know "how soon" is soon
    Thanks for the update! Can't wait to try it out!
    when will 3.5 be available? I use reqw 3.0 now and love it. what a revolutionary difference compared to blazer! the bookmark page, home page and navigation controls need tweaking tho. when will this be released?
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Don't you mean 3.52? I am running 3.5 right now on my Treo 600 and it does not have the features you mentioned.
    rr4him
    Quote Originally Posted by rr4him
    Don't you mean 3.52? I am running 3.5 right now on my Treo 600 and it does not have the features you mentioned.
    rr4him
    Yes he means 3.52. I've done a few tests today and it is indeed a major improvement.

FYI, Last time that they distributed a beta to a limited group of users, the official version was released only three days after.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    What about the Bookmarks? when you upgrade to you loose the bookmarks.
    How about the conection waring is that removed?
    Did they add a Stop Key?
  9.    #9  
    As to when, I don't know but based on past experience with them, I suspect pretty shortly (i.e. next week). Yes, it is 3.5.2

1) Frames still work the same way
    2) Bookmarks will probably be lost this time around, but future upgrades will evidently preserve settings
    3) You still get the connection warning (I think this is a feature of Palm's J2ME environment, and I don't know if they can do anything about it).
    4) 'S' is now the stop key

See here for the users guide (tho' I still can't figure out how to make cut and paste work as described there. EDIT: I figured it out; I had an old beta Java Runtime, when I installed the newest version it works as described):
    http://reqwireless.com/wv-3.5/treo/guide/

Shortcuts:
    http://reqwireless.com/wv-3.5/treo/shortcuts.html

Regards,
    --Mathew
    Last edited by mathewlu; 05/01/2004 at 07:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mathewlu
    Dear All,
    BTW, you still need the J2ME runtime environment from Palm, but they will be distributing a PRC (but you can still install over-the-air from within the Midilet HQ if you want).

You know if Reqwireless just made webviewer a native palm app, it could be one of the most popular applications ever imo...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Matthew: can you tell me why it doesn't load www.easybets.com?
  12.    #12  
    I agree that a native palm app would be much more popular, but since the company ia a JAVA company I doubt that's likely to happen.

Sorry, I don't have any relationship with the company other than being a beta tester. So you'll have to direct your inquiries to them.

Regards,
    --Mathew
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Hey why don't more Tusers post the the Reqwireless Treo600 forum to request these fixes. From the amount of post there there is not that much interest in this product.
    ??? does cutting your web display time in half matter???
    Even with the bugs I have dumped Blazer.
    I just hope more you you add your squeek to the wheel so we can have an outstanding web browser.
    If you are interested here is the link
    http://www.reqwireless.com/forum/vie...17ee289bbc639c
    > can you tell me why it doesn't load www.easybets.com?

Because that site is written primarily in Macromedia Flash, not supported by WebViewer (or any other browser for the Treo).
    > I agree that a native palm app would be much more popular, but since the company ia a JAVA company I doubt that's likely to happen.

Correct. Reqwireless is a Java company and, as such, does not have the expertise to port the apps to the native PalmOS platform. Given palmSource has licensed the IBM J9 JVM, one should be able to install/run Java apps (such as WebViewer) without first manually installing the J9 environment -- it will likely be preinstalled on later versions of the Treo, so Java apps should be as-easy to install/run as native Palm apps.
    > Hey why don't more Tusers post the the Reqwireless Treo600 forum to request these fixes. From the amount of post there there is not that much interest in this product.

Good point. We (Reqwireless) offer a forum for users to post enahncement-requests/bugs and pay closest attention to this forum, so if you have any Treo-requests, I suggest you post on the Reqwireless form at http://www.reqwireless.com/forum and give us your feedback there.
    Actually Blazer opens that page (www.easybets.com) but it doesn't handle the popups.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reqwireless
    > can you tell me why it doesn't load www.easybets.com?

Because that site is written primarily in Macromedia Flash, not supported by WebViewer (or any other browser for the Treo).
    Yeah, that was my off-the-cuff first idea but the site really isn't. Only the initial sphere on the frontpage and a couple ads.

Just like browsers who don't have the Flash plug-in... it should just skip over it. I don't know why it won't load the site.
    I also received the 3.5.2 webviewer beta PRC from ReqWireless this past weekend. As it is now, it is definitely a VAST improvement from the last major release.
    -- "In the country of the blind, the one-eyed man is king" --
    Any idea when the prod version of 3.5.2 will be released?...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast