Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I spent a good part of today customizing the dial pad and favorites buttons on my Treo 600. I thought I'd go ahead and post the prc on the forum here in case anyone's interested. Sorry, I don't have a screenshot, but I've attached a couple of jpegs to this post so you can get a general idea of what the buttons look like. I based the shapes on the Treo's keyboard buttons. For some reason, at least on *my* phone, the dial pad screen will display the 16-bit versions of the buttons just fine, but the favorites screens will only display the 8-bit versions unless you install a program called Colorize and set it to 16-bit mode. Needless to say, the 8-bit graphics don't look as good as the 16-bit versions, so I'd recommend installing Colorize (which is freeware).

I'd like to thank tvBilly and meyerweb for their very informative posts in this older thread.

Edit: Please see post #54 on page 3 of this thread for a large variety of files containing different button color combinations.

...And a few others added with post #64 on page 4.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by j.c.; 05/24/2004 at 01:58 PM.
    j.c.,

You buttons look very interesting; however you have SPCS in the file name, so my question is whetrher these will work for GSM phones (as I assume SPCS is Sprint PCS)...?

Thx, JJ
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    i installed your program and i like the changes. i have a cingular phone and the sprint welcome appears when i turn on my phone. is there anyway to make that cingular or if i want to uninstall your program how do i do it. it does not appear on the applications.
    morris stalk
    That's fun. I would also prefer a non-carrier specific version if possible.
    How do you remove it once installed?
  6.    #6  
    Oops. Yeah, that's right, I forgot to mention that I use Sprint. I think the prc I posted will work on any Treo 600, but it will have the Sprint "Welcome" and "Goodbye" screens for wireless mode. Maybe I'll customize those next. If you download PRCEdit and open up the prc, you can easily replace those screens (they are bitmaps 6851 and 6861).

Also, installing and deleting the prc is very simple. Just install it in the usual manner, and the new buttons will appear. If you want the original buttons back, just delete the file that you previously installed.
    Last edited by j.c.; 05/19/2004 at 09:41 PM.
    How do you delete PhoneJCRed_SPCS.prc so that I get the original buttons back?
    Good jonb jc. Glad to see someone working on this idea again.

I have a suggestion. Would it be possible to make the buttons change colors when you press them? I have the blue aqua buttons from months ago and when you press them there is so little visual change it's hard to tell if youve dialed. I just thought it would be cool if the color changed on depress so one could see they had actully hit a but. Just an idea.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    dupe. whoops
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by webtrader
    How do you delete PhoneJCRed_SPCS.prc so that I get the original buttons back?
    Install Filez (File Manager). It allows you to see every file.
  11.    #11  
    I guess the built-in Palm file manager doesn't display the file. If you don't already use FileZ which is freeware, I would highly recommend that you install it (or use ZLauncher's file manager, which I do), because the built-in manager isn't very good.
    Ok thanks for the help!
  13.    #13  
    OK, I made a few changes to the prc. It's now non-carrier specific and the buttons change from red-to-orange/orange-to-red when they're pressed... Thanks for the comments!

Edit: Please see post #54 on page 3 of this thread for a large variety of files containing different button color combinations.

...And a few others added with post #64 on page 4.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by j.c.; 05/24/2004 at 01:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by j.c.
    OK, I made a few changes to the prc. It's now non-carrier specific and the buttons change from red-to-orange/orange-to-red when they're pressed... Thanks for the comments!

JC, good work. Thanks for looking into my request. It works and looks good. I do have one new comment for you. The color change isnt drastic enough to notice in normal daylight. Unless I hold the button down and really look I cant tell the difference. Maybe it's just me but the orange isnt different enough to be helpful. I think youve done a great job though. Better than anything else out there so far.

Also I really like the generic welcome screens. Very cool.
    — Ed Howdershelt
    Thanks!
    Thanks! Great work, so far these are the only ones besides the Aqua buttons that look professional. I also really like the startup/shutdown screens. However, I have to agree with Woof that the red/orange color combo is a bit too close to differentiate. How about red/purple or something? Even if you keep them as is, they are definately an improvement over the originals and a welcome addition as another choice besides Aqua.
    Oh, and I took a screenshot for those of you who wanted to see a preview of the buttons...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jennyfur
    Thanks! Great work, so far these are the only ones besides the Aqua buttons that look professional. I also really like the startup/shutdown screens. However, I have to agree with Woof that the red/orange color combo is a bit too close to differentiate. How about red/purple or something? Even if you keep them as is, they are definately an improvement over the originals and a welcome addition as another choice besides Aqua.

And may I add, easier to install/remove.
    Quote Originally Posted by 7zero
    And may I add, easier to install/remove.
    The Aqua buttons can be installed & removed in exactly the same manner as these. The default ugly buttons are in ROM though, they can't be removed... we're really just using an "overlay" on top of them.
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jennyfur
    The Aqua buttons can be installed & removed in exactly the same manner as these. The default ugly buttons are in ROM though, they can't be removed... we're really just using an "overlay" on top of them.

You're right Jennyfur. The later versions of Aqua are just an overlay. I installed Aqua way back around November 2003 (Thanksgiving (US) day) and originally, it was a bit complicated as it involved the Phone.prc. Removing the original Aqua this weekend was interesting to say the least and I'm glad I use BackupMan...

I prefer this simple overlay .prc setup and enjoy T|C for it's ability to keep the ideas flowing.

Cheers!
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast