Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Muziek
    According to Rob, in post #27, there's a box you need to check to enable different “skins.” I can't find that box, and I am still waiting to hear from Rob. But I believe this should solve our problem.
    I believe he's referring to something in the program Skinner. If you don't have that installed (which I don't) then there's no box to check anywhere. Once the overlay prc is installed it just works.... no interaction needed. At least this is how my GSM phone works (FW 2.05). Like has already been mentioned, if you used the old method of installing aqua buttons (the one replacing the phone.prc) then you'd have to get rid of that. Likewise if you use the new aqua overlay prc then you'd have to remove that as well. Beyond that I can't image what would be conflicting with it. This was more aimed at Newtreouser since you already figured yours out Muziek
    Thanks jennyfur.
    j.c. -- Any more skins in the future? I especially like the connecting/disconnecting logo; FW 3.04 logo annoyed me for some reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by jennyfur
    I'd love to figure this out as well... I'm a graphic designer and I'd make a whole rainbow of colors if I had a clue how to implement them! I downloaded PRCedit but I'm still clueless. I opened up the prc with PRCexplorer and I can actually see the bitmaps in question, but you can't change them using that program... only PRCedit. Bah!
    I figured it out in prcedit, wasn't too bad. Now if I only knew how to use photoshop to create me some buttons. Wanna team up? You create some cool buttons and startup/shutdown screens and I'll put them all into the overlays for ya.

I tried the graphics myself....take a look.
    My startup and shutdown screens are too embarassing to post.

-Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I don't know what I'm doing changing colors...can someone post a step by step?
    Oh, and I took a screenshot for those of you who wanted to see a preview of the buttons...
    Jenn, I noticed in your pic that you had a full charge....way to go girl!

Also, I see you have ZLauncher assigned to the left arrow, why not just set it as the default, this way when you press your home key, it will be the launcher that is used in place of the default one?

Just a question....
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Made another attempt...

What do you think?
    That's pretty cool - you mind sharing these with us or are you still working on it...
    I'll gladly share as soon as I come up with some decent startup and shutdown screens. If anybody has some they'd like to share, post them and I'll include them. Buttons too for that matter.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Quote Originally Posted by scandalex
    Jenn, I noticed in your pic that you had a full charge....way to go girl!

Also, I see you have ZLauncher assigned to the left arrow, why not just set it as the default, this way when you press your home key, it will be the launcher that is used in place of the default one?

Just a question....
    Fully charged cuz I've got it in a cradle at work

Actually, ZLauncher always has been set as my default launcher since I got it. I guess I wasn't thinking when I set the left arrow to it as well (or I did it in the couple of minutes before making it default launcher... LOL). I hadn't even noticed it was redundant. Silly me. Thanks for pointing it out!

Anyway... back to the topic at hand... buttons. I was out of town for a few days and just got back so I'm just reading all this now. I'll be busy the next couple days, but after that I might have a little bit of free time one night to throw together some button images.
    Hmm... I just switched left arrow back to "applications" and it uses the built-in launcher app even though zlauncher is my default launcher. Maybe that's why I had it set up that way. Most of the time I just hit the home key to get there anyway.
    Ok, really it's an homage to Gfunk's avatar....gfunk, hope you like the gift.

If anybody has some custom requests, ask away, if I am capable, I will make it for you as time permits.

-Joe
    Attached Files Attached Files
  12.    #52  
    Sorry I haven't replied to this thread in a while. I've been pretty busy, but I did manage to create a bunch of files with different button color combinations which are linked below.

Audemars: Unfortunately, PRCedit doesn't have many features; it basically just gives you access to the bitmaps and some settings contained within a prc file. To access the bitmaps, you open the prc in PRCedit, expand the "bitmaps" directory and double-click on one of the numbered bitmap entries. A window will open that displays the color-depth (16-bit, 8-bit, etc.) and pixel dimensions of each bitmap contained within that particular entry. It also shows which color is transparent. I haven't had the time to figure out how to change the transparency setting, but "255" corresponds to pure white (RGB 255,255,255) in all of my graphics, and that works fine for me. When you click on one of the "edit" buttons, another window will open that displays the actual bitmap. If you want to edit the bitmap, you should probably copy and paste it into an image editing program. To copy it, click on the dashed rectangular marquee tool in the "palette" window, then select the entire bitmap by dragging from the top left corner of the image to the bottom right. Do a Ctrl+C (copy) on your keyboard, switch to your image editing program and Ctrl+V (paste). You'll probably need to crop the pasted image down to the proper pixel dimensions. After you're done modifying the bitmap, copy and paste it back into the appropriate window in PRCedit.

jennyfur: I guess my response to Audemars applies to your questions, too. Thanks for posting that screenshot, by the way!

Chick-Dance: Thanks for the link to PRCedit!

Here are the files. Click on a link below to download that particular color combination. The first color is the dominant color on the dialpad. I typically used the second color as the dominant color on the favorites screens, except with red and purple, which I felt were a bit too dark for the black text that appears on top of the buttons. In those cases, the first color is the dominant color on both the dialpad and the favorites screens. It was boring, redundant work creating all of these files, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few errors. Please let me know if you discover any.

Blue/Green
    Blue/Orange
    Blue/Purple
    Blue/Red
    Blue/Yellow

Green/Blue
    Green/Orange
    Green/Purple
    Green/Red
    Green/Yellow

Orange/Blue
    Orange/Green
    Orange/Purple
    Orange/Red

Purple/Blue
    Purple/Green
    Purple/Orange
    Purple/Yellow

Red/Blue
    Red/Green
    Red/Orange
    Red/Yellow
    Last edited by j.c.; 05/19/2004 at 03:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by j.c.
    To access the bitmaps, you open the prc in PRCedit, expand the "bitmaps" directory and double-click on one of the numbered bitmap entries. A window will open that displays the color-depth (16-bit, 8-bit, etc.) and pixel dimensions of each bitmap contained within that particular entry.
    Thanks for the directions, but I don't quite follow your directions...I opened up the file in PRCedit, but not sure what the "bitmaps directory" is... when i try to double click on anything, nothing happens...i think i am missing something..

I am usually able to do these kinda of things, so I assume I am just missing a small piece of the process...can you help out?

thanks!
    I'm with you on that Audemars... there is no bitmap directory when I open them, just a window with a string of numbers & letters. There's nothing to click on anywhere...I'd expected a directory tree or something of that sort, but no. Maybe we have a different version of PRCedit and that's why we can't figure it out or get it working? The about screen doesn't say much of anything, but the zip file was prcedit192.zip

EDIT: Ok that might have been the problem... I'd gotten the 1.92 from Palmgear. Found a newer version at http://prcedit.tk/ and will play with that for a bit and see if it does anything different...

LATER: Nope, still nothing. There is a directory tree now, but it's always there (even if no file is open) and if I open a file it doesn't change or give me the option to expand the tree. It creates a tab called RCP and another tab with the filename I opened plus patched on the end. And it asks for the path to something called pilotdis.exe when I first opened it, so I searched for that on palmgear as well and pointed prcedit to it, didn't seem to change anything.
    Last edited by jennyfur; 05/19/2004 at 09:03 PM.
    I'm with you on that Audemars... there is no bitmap directory when I open them, just a window with a string of numbers & letters. There's nothing to click on anywhere...I'd expected a directory tree or something of that sort, but no. Maybe we have a different version of PRCedit and that's why we can't figure it out or get it working? The about screen doesn't say much of anything, but the zip file was prcedit192.zip

EDIT: Ok that might have been the problem... I'd gotten the 1.92 from Palmgear. Found a newer version at http://prcedit.tk/ and will play with that for a bit and see if it does anything different...
    I'm not quite through my work binge, and not able to double check this for you, but I think there are two programs called PRCEdit (not different versions, different programs), and I think the one you just downloaded is not the correct program to do what you want. (It's a patching/editing program for the code, not a general resource editor for pictures and the like).

I should be able to give your the exact URLs and instructions in a couple of days (though you'll probably figure it out by yourself before then). By the way, the resource type for a Palm bitmap is Tbmp.

Bill S
    Yep... that was the problem. It's an entirely different program, and it took me forever to find it. I believe the PRCEdit you're speaking of is the one by Individeo, not Dr.Funk. Their website doesn't seem to be up anymore, but I was able to find a mirror for the file here: http://www.jeffraysbrain.com/MyTreo600.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by j.c.
    Sorry I haven't replied to this thread in a while. I've been pretty busy, but I did manage to create a bunch of files with different button color combinations which are linked below.
    By the way, thanks for all the different overlays. You've gone and done so many color combos now that I almost don't want to bother making variations

P.S. Oh and I'm blind, I missed that corrected link to PRCEdit from Chick-Dance earlier. Guess that's how I ended up with the wrong one. Sorry!
  18.    #58  
    Sorry for the confusion about PRCedit. I just corrected the link in my earlier post, but I'll post it again here, too: PRCedit

I haven't checked to see whether or not Chick-Dance's link is the same program, but the link I just posted is where I got my copy.
    Last edited by j.c.; 05/19/2004 at 09:56 PM.
    Ah...now that I have the correct PRCEdit, I was able to go and get the right bitmaps updated! Thanks a lot!

My last question for you is around the dialpad. I see how you updated the buttons themselves, but how do you updates the font/format of the actual numbers/letters on the buttons. I couldnt quite seem to figure that part out!

thanks again for everything!
    j.c.

This is fantastic. I love your work, I've downloaded them all.

Now we just need an app to randomly select a colour combination on startup :-)
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast