• yes

15 65.22%
  • no

8 34.78%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was thinking about posting a listing on ebay as:

http://previewitem.ebay.com/ws/eBayI...eqId=109520943

It's in a preview mode currently. I see 4 listings on ebay from people charging $30-$50 for firmware upgrades, and I think it's just wrong to charge people who can get it free elsewhere. I got my upgrade for free, so why shouldn't others be enlightened to the information.

Should I post the auction on ebay? Or should I mind my own business and let people pay if they want to pay?
    Cingular Blue
    Treo 650 (now unlocked)
    Firmware: 1.05
    Current Software: Treo650-1.04-CNB
    Put a buy it now listing for one US penny.
    GSM Treo 600 with Cingular
    New Avatar caused by:This Post
  3.    #3  
    I was thinking about the buy it now option but the minimum is $.05, and I really didn't want people to pay me anything. With this option without buy it now, if I do get people bidding, I can just end the auction before it ends and not collect any money from anyone.
    Cingular Blue
    Treo 650 (now unlocked)
    I'd be concerned about ending too many auction's early. Don't know what ebays thoughts are on it.
    Charge the .05 and donate it to TreoCentral for backup software, new servers screws, or for two new emoticons for the two that are broken
  5.    #5  
    I just checked and the only way to have a fixed price buy it now option is to have a minimum price of $0.99.

How's this one?

http://previewitem.ebay.com/ws/eBayI...eqId=109520943
    Cingular Blue
    Treo 650 (now unlocked)
    How about adding to the listing that you won't collect the .99 but if they want to donate it to TC they can?
    Quote Originally Posted by MVT
    How about adding to the listing that you won't collect the .99 but if they want to donate it to TC they can?
    Yeah, add that in, and I think it's good!
  8.    #8  
    Thanks MVT and MovieGene, have made the changes. I will submit the posting today to ebay.
    Cingular Blue
    Treo 650 (now unlocked)
  9.    #9  
    Ok the listing is up and running. Thanks for the feedback!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3094556481
    Cingular Blue
    Treo 650 (now unlocked)
    My adrenaline is getting high finding those posts on eBay as well, in the past I did somthing similar to stop it, but some people keep on trying to earn money with somebody elses work.

Keep on doing this everybody.....
    I guess the real problem is that there are people out there dumb, or impatient (or both) enough not to wait for the real update (which, at least for Sprint ver 1.2 will be out in the next day or two ). We wouldn't have to worry about greedy sob's on the supply side if there weren't fools on the demand side.

Cheers,

D
    "Think. It's Patriotic."
    I have repeatedly posted adds against Ebay selling of freeware for unlock patched files and have done so again today in UK. It gets my goat (excuse the pun).
    don't you dislike the person who would want to sell the unlock software for $30 from http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=49565

I did not read the rules from this forum. not sure if i was allowed to post unlock site URL. otherwise, i would do the same as va2004abc did (va2004abc posted the FAQ link for unlocking TREO 600)
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by superfire
    don't you dislike the person who would want to sell the unlock software for $30 from http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=49565

I did not read the rules from this forum. not sure if i was allowed to post unlock site URL. otherwise, i would do the same as va2004abc did (va2004abc posted the FAQ link for unlocking TREO 600)

I'm not really posting the unlock codes, just the link for the firmware upgrades which everyone on this forum have used. It is the actual firmware upgrade, in a combination of files, which can unlock the Treo, but the actual unlock code for any phone would be hard to publish since I think they are all different depending on serial # and/or IMEI #.

That person in the discussion you mentioned also tried to post something else selling the same items, which I would think should get him banned from this forum, just my opinion.
    Cingular Blue
    Treo 650 (now unlocked)
    I have seen alll kinds of things posted on E-Bay. One person had a CD titled "Assorted stuff downloaded from the internet" He got $25.00 for it! I have considered selling copies of CD's that contain assorted downloaded stuff from the internet. If someone is willing to pay, then someone will sell it to them. You cannot stop it. You can try to educate people. But what people do with that knowledge is up to them.
    Palm III > Palm IIIC > Handera 330 > Kyocera 6035 & Sony NR70V > Treo 600 > Treo650 & Palm LifeDrive > Modded LifeDrive w/16gig CF > Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by E Double
    I guess the real problem is that there are people out there dumb, or impatient (or both) enough not to wait for the real update (which, at least for Sprint ver 1.2 will be out in the next day or two ). We wouldn't have to worry about greedy sob's on the supply side if there weren't fools on the demand side.

Cheers,

D
    The sprint firmware update is due out in days?? Does this make voicerecording work? Is this for real?
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    I wonder what the legal implications of selling the upgrade are. Typically, copyright law makes it illegal to copy and sell someone else’s work.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by DHAnderson
    I wonder what the legal implications of selling the upgrade are. Typically, copyright law makes it illegal to copy and sell someone else’s work.
    Interesting you mention that because if you do a search on ebay for "treo 600 upgrade", the 2 listings charging money are both users located in Canada.

I would think though that for 3.04, since it's an "unofficial" release which has some different versions out there, it cannot be protected under copyright laws, but I'm not a lawyer and would really have no idea.
    Cingular Blue
    Treo 650 (now unlocked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    The sprint firmware update is due out in days?? Does this make voicerecording work? Is this for real?
    I'll answer your questions in reverse:

3)Yes, it is.

2)Yes it does.

1)Sprint finished it up this week. All P1 has to do is post it to their site. Shouldn't take anymore than a couple of days.

Cheers,

D
    "Think. It's Patriotic."
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    As a new Treo 600 user (almost, being delivered tomorrow), the only reason that I held off this long was because I wanted the voice recording, I am just curious if this firmware release for Cingular (or GSM in general) will ever become official, or is this unofficial release just a "pre-release"?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast