1.    #1  
    I have an old Treo 600 (Cingular) that has a bright white LCD screen. A friend of mine ordered one rcently (GSM no provider) and the screen has a bluish tiny and therefore also looks less contrasty/crisp. He exchanged it but the replacement is the same.

Did PalmOne change the LCD screens so the new ones have this bluish tint? Or is it two defective LCD screens in a row?
    It seems that all the new phones have the bluish screens. Although the screen seems to be brighter it still looks horrible due to the bluish hue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay
    It seems that all the new phones have the bluish screens. Although the screen seems to be brighter it still looks horrible due to the bluish hue.
    The first replacement phone I got had a REALLY bad screen. Very blue and also not clear. I complaint and got a replacement today. The replacement phone is still a little blue (not quite as white as the original one) but I can live with it. Actually, some screens loom better with the "new" blueish type of screen.
    maybe ur just paranoid
    I had a phone break, as you can see from the picture... It was replaced today with a shiny new one with a bluish tint. I adjusted the contrast to be mostly left and used the BASIC color scheme in the general section of prefs. I can honestly say it looks better than the first treo.
    Hope this helps?
    Rob
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the replies. It helps to know it is "normal".
    Maybe they went with a more blue screen to hide the blue dots in the camera app... j/k
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    Global Posts
    499 Global Posts
    I just recieved a replacement for one of the first released GMS T600's and noticed that it had the blueish hue as well. I am glad to see I am not alone. My first phone developed the dreaded Buzz, but is has now gone away, so I need to decide which phone to send back the origional (white screen, had a buzz) or the replacement (blueish screen)

-d
    Blue Tint??

I'd love to have a Treo 600 that actually works with any color screen. The tint is the least of my problems.
    again, adjust the contrast... if you move the slider bar left a little, the blue tint goes away and the screen is bright
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    I think that some of the new ones are coming with a blueish tint to the screen while there are still others that have crisp white screens...I had one with the blueish tint and then got a different replacement, new serial number, with a nice clean crisp screen...so I am going to assume that they have a mix of screens out there, just luck of the draw I guess...

rob
    Due to the screen supply shortage problem, Palm now has two screen suppliers, and a third one is being qualified. It is kind of like buying a new car, you never know which brand of tires you are going to get.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    Due to the screen supply shortage problem, Palm now has two screen suppliers, and a third one is being qualified. It is kind of like buying a new car, you never know which brand of tires you are going to get.
    Rome, thanks for the info, I didn't know PalmOne is using more than one supplier for the screens now...

Also, can some one PLEASE post a pic comparing the screens of an older Handspring branded Treo600 and the new PalmOne branded Treo600? Some one posted this earlier in a previous thread, but is was lost in the forum crash. Tx...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I got one with 'PalmOne' logo without the blue tint, and I have hard time viewing the screen under bright sun light. I returned it because they sent me a locked version.

The next replacement I got has a 'HandSpring' logo with AWS serial label (AT&T) - but UNLOCKED!!!

This unit has blue tint and I can view the screen much better under direct sun light.

I think the new one (palmone) is getting cheap in quality.
    i just got my 3rd replacement today...first two had great clear white screens..this one's blue. kinda sucks.
    Palm III -> Palm IV -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755p
    I just took delivery of my Treo labeled PalmOne 4 days ago, I must say I am not overly impressed with the quality of the screen, it has a blue tint and flickers. My wife has the m515 and the screen looks a lot crisper and stable. It's just a damn shame they have mucked this up. Maybe they should get a lesson from Sony! Some how Sony screens tend to look a notch better than most.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Also, can some one PLEASE post a pic comparing the screens of an older Handspring branded Treo600 and the new PalmOne branded Treo600? Some one posted this earlier in a previous thread, but is was lost in the forum crash. Tx...
    Here's a pic of two PalmOne Treo600s side by side. One AT&T the other Verizon. The Verizon is newer (shipped to me direct from Verizon on Aug. 5th - supposedly directly upon receiving from PalmOne...) but has no blue tint while the AT&T unit does.

HTH,
    Lactoso the Intolerant
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I just got my first replacement from P1 in the mail a couple days ago and noticed the blue tint. I compared the old unit with the new unit side by side and the difference was verrrrrry obvious. I followed the advice of BRoberob above re. changing the contrast and the General color setting and worked like a charm! Thank you!
    I just got my new replacement for my previous handspring branded Sprint phone. This one is Palm One branded and the screen is much more blue and not as bright. I moved the contrast over to the left but if you move it too far it gets dulled out. The "basic" color scheme makes it even more dull. Did I get a dud?
    It is very common for phone makers and electronic product makers to have color variance in LCDs for two reasons:

1. The LCDs have backlights that may vary in coloration within an acceptable gamut of red, blue or yellow-ness. The more strict you are with the variance, the higher the price of the LCD. It is only if you see two or three screens side by side that you would ever see the difference. Treo screens are still mighty bright by comparison to anything else I own.

2. It is also common for components like LCDs to be double or triple sourced from parts suppliers. You may not be comparing like to like. It is possible that there are several (very similar) screen types used in making and repairing Treos these days.