1.    #1  
    Anyone out ther who can help me with my nightmare?I have snapped off the flipfront of my Treo 270.Nobody wishes to repair it -only replace it offering me an XDA 11 or a Sony Erikkson P900 as a replacement!! I am happy with my palm and do not want to convert to pocket PC or symbian All I want is somebody to repair my trusted Treo or point me in the right direction so that I can obtain the spare piece and attempt the repair myself. Any useful help/ideas/directions gratefully received.
    Steve,
    I have the same problem one week now and nobody can help me.. Unfortunately I bought the phone from Amazon.co.uk. The don't seem to care. The same from Handspring (now Palm)
    Quote Originally Posted by stevej
    Nobody wishes to repair it -only replace it offering me an XDA 11 or a Sony Erikkson P900 as a replacement!!
    get the P900 sell it, and buy a Treo 600 on eBay... my $0.02
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    or check out this Post

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...6&highlight=NL

He did it to a Treo 300 i had and it turned out awsome!
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Just broke the flip on my T270. After 18 mths use, maybe there was a bad batch?

Palmone are offering me AU$260 to trade for a T270. No upgrade/swap to a 600

Not impressed

Cheers
    VikingBrad
    Maybe we could combine our complaints together - and somehow persuade Palmone to offer a reasonable price for an upgrade to the 600 for people with 180/270's that have a broken lid
    What about your warranties? I broke the face off my 270 two weeks ago, called tmobile that evening, and had a new model within 3 business days.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevej
    Anyone out ther who can help me with my nightmare?... only replace it offering me an XDA 11 or a Sony Erikkson P900 as a replacement!! ... Any useful help/ideas/directions gratefully received.
    A new S-E P900? Take it and run.
    Optionally, -if it's unlocked- meet me on the corner, and I'll trade it for my still-going-strong-in-excellent-condition 270.

Cheers!
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    I bought my Treo 270 Nov 2002 so well outside warranty now.

I'm in Australia and I get put through to Asia Tech support which isn't very helpful.

Might buy a unlocked GSM Treo 600 for US$399 in USA which is cheaper than buying in Australia.

Unfortunately the T270 will probably go in the bin

Cheers
    VikingBrad
    Quote Originally Posted by VikingBrad
    I bought my Treo 270 Nov 2002 so well outside warranty now.

I'm in Australia and I get put through to Asia Tech support which isn't very helpful.

Might buy a unlocked GSM Treo 600 for US$399 in USA which is cheaper than buying in Australia.

Unfortunately the T270 will probably go in the bin

Cheers
    VikingBrad
    Don't bin it dude. Donate it (to me)!
    pm me and we'll work something out.
    www.gsmworld.com
    i broke mine as well and i wanted a 600 anyway this was just a good excuse to get one
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    anyone with a broken, dust-collecting 270, want to sell me their old SIM-card door? Mine has fallen off my refurb and since it is now a 'discontinued model' both the manufacturer and provider are trying to wash their hands of any culpability. If you wanna scrape a last $10-15 from your broken 270 by sending me the door leave me a note or a reply -- I'm dead serious about this offer
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigo
    What about your warranties? I broke the face off my 270 two weeks ago, called tmobile that evening, and had a new model within 3 business days.
    I had the same situation and TMobile sent me a letter a couple of weeks later telling me that they were charging me because the plastic was broken, thus voiding the warranty. Great logic, huh? Of course it was broken, that's why I wanted it replaced!

They claim they had me verbally agree to pay when I called, but I certainly don't remember doing that, considering I knew that it could be modified for free by removing the lid. I asked for a transcript of the call, and they told me I would have to subpoena their legal department to get it.

I'd be interested to see if they charge you as well.
    had the same problem....lid broke off last week. I called up palm one support andthey told me they will replace it with a new one....free of charge! I told them that i bought it over a year ago and that it might no longer be covered by the warranty....they said no problem! I gotthe replacement within 1 weeks time! brand new (course am not certain if it is a refurb)....
    Wow, good for you chuaaa! They must have changed their policy recently. They just passed me on to T-Mobile when I called them a couple of months ago. Who do you have as a provider?
    Mine got broken too, the right bottom corner just broke, so I couldn't move it a lot because I was afraid of breaking the cables that connect the speaker. I had 2 parts. A little cone-like that is connected to the black plastic possibly connected to a spring, And the second part the cover, with the transparent plastic, that contains the speaker inside of it.

I'm not sure that this solution works for everybody, but if something similar happened to you maybe you can fix your's doing something similar to what i did.

Here's what you're gonna need:

Epoxy Resin, in Mexico (cola locuaz pegas de locuraz), in the us ( jv well, just pronounce it that way)

A thin nail about half a millimeter of diameter

Clamps

Cutter

A stove

Get to know your treo, when you flip the cover to open the treo you are facing the cover and looking at the hole where the speaker is located. My problem ocurred on the bottom right corner. As you probably have already noticed the cables that connect the speaker and the internal hardware are located on the left side, running through the color solid edge and on the top left corner. The cover is really 2 parts, just pasted together with a little glue and some pressure. So you want to split both parts starting by the right side.
    What you're gonna do is kinda like an operation when somebody breaks his leg and the doctor has to put a nail or a screw inside of the bone so it stays together. Be careful with the cone like part!!!! Mine got loose so I had to put it together with the black plastic again, but when my treo broke, I was opening it, so when I put the cone like part on the black plastic again I was careful so that it fitted the cover as if the cover was up, and so the treo was open.

So here's what I did, and it's really simple, just be careful:

1. Find a thin thin nail, about half a milimeter of diameter.

2. Cut the head with some clamps

3. Face the cover looking at the speaker's hole (the cables that join the cards with the speaker travel through the left side of the transparent plastic and on the upper left corner), and with a small knife split the cover, you'll see a divisory line, that where the two pieces are bonded with the glue. Start on the right side of the cover. BE CAREFUL YOU DON'T WANNA BREAK THE COVER OR CUT THE CABLES ON THE LEFT SIDE.

4. Now that you have the two separate parts of the cover GET the CUTTER, and wear off some plastic on the right bottom corners, ON THE INSIDE, because that's is where you are going to insert you strengthing nail.

5. Next, take a close look at the parts and at the ending cone-like part imagine they are together and think on where would the nail be between the two parts and inside the cone-like part. Remember the cone like must be put as if the cover was up, like when you make a call.

6. Heat the nail using the clamps and a stove, until the nail is red.

7. Quickly, but carefully insert the nail on the cone-like piece.

8. Apply epoxy resin on both the upper and lower part of the cover ON THE INSIDE. Then apply epoxy resin where the cone like part and the cover are bonded.

9. Before the epoxy gets dry stick the three parts together, OBVIOUSLY, the nail wil not be seen anymore and the 3 parts the will become 1 again.

10. Let the epoxy dry for 24 hours before you flip your phone again.

That's it, I hope it might be helpful. It's way cheaper than buying a new one.
    Well I've picked up a secondhand Treo 600 on eBay.

I had an electronics guy I know have a look at the broken T270 but he thought it was too tricky.

Might put it on ebay or something but the wire to the speaker is now completely cut and one hinge clasp has broken off the flip. Should be easier to re-solder the wires but then you have to attach the speaker to what remains. My mate though epoxy the speaker to the rear of the treo and maybe mould something to protect it.

Too hard for me. If you are in Australia and you want to try something send me a PM and we can talk.

Cheers
    VikingBrad