1.    #1  
    OK, so I ordered the GSM Treo 600 with the "I have my own provider" deal at the end of February. My provider is AT&T Wireless, and there was an immediate echo when I call one number (my home voice mail), plus the occasional "what the heck was that" distortion on a couple phone calls with actual people. The echo was on all calls to that number, not just speakerphone calls, and it didn't matter what volume I had the earphone or speaker. Oh, and since it was an "unlocked" phone it came with generic PalmOne firmware.

So I called PalmOne, got a service order number, and eventually got a replacement unit. Except when I was on the phone with PalmOne the rep kept asking me if I had a buzz (no, just an echo) and seemed a bit confused that I had a problem that wasn't on her script. So when the replacement phone arrived, it had exactly the same echo problem as the first. Plus it had a much dimmer screen with an ugly green tint (the original is bright and sort of bluish), and, oddly, AT&T-branded firmware. Since it didn't actually fix the original echo problem I called PalmOne again.

On the second call, I found out that they'd entered the serial number wrong the first time, so I got to start over with all my personal information, and they sent me another phone. It had the same echo problem, but by that point I'd found out that I had the same echo problem with a friend's completely different AT&T GSM phone, so it might not be the phone at all. Anyway, the second replacement had an equally bright and bluish screen as my original, but it came not just with AT&T firmware but locked to AT&T (despite my insisting to the PalmOne rep that I had bought the unbranded one). I called PalmOne again.

So on the third call the PalmOne rep looked up the new replacement serial number and said "that should be an open phone." He said he'd find out how to unlock the phone and would call me back. He called me back within the hour and said they couldn't unlock the phone after all, and got me yet another service order number, and another replacement phone was on its way.

I got the third replacement today. It's a refurb unit with a dent (okay, a small dent, but still), a yellowish (but bright) screen, Cingular firmware (although it's not, apparently, locked), and the biggest problem of all: it randomly decides that it's been unplugged from the charger, so it makes the bee-deep noise of being unplugged, and then immediately makes the buh-deet! noise of being plugged in again. The charger has worked fine with the previous three Treo 600s and my original Treo 300, so I know it's not the charger's fault. Anyway, the third replacement phone also has the same echo problem as the original, which I'm now convinced is an AT&T network problem and not the Treo anyway.

Due to my own laziness (there's no convenient Airborne dropoff point) all of the replacements are stacked up, and had I resolved to send them back and keep the original unit since it worked as well or better than any of the replacements. And then tonight -- hours after getting the third replacement -- the microphone in the original decided to quit for good. Now I get to pick which of the marginally-faulty units to keep (Mr. Dim Screen, Mr. Locked, or Mr. Unplugged), and send my original back along with the replacements.

I really liked my Visor Deluxe (ordered before they were even shipping) and my Treo 300 served me well even if Sprint didn't, but this is ridiculous. I was prepared to keep my original phone, since the problem that started all of this isn't apparently the phone's fault after all, but why -- and how -- on Earth could they manage to send me three problematic phones in a row after one simple service request?

(Tangent: the first two phones were PalmOne branded; second two were Handspring branded. Serial number date codes in order of my receipt of the units: 4095, 4126, 3514, 4045).

I guess I should consider myself lucky that I have a replacement phone in the house already for the one with the defective microphone. Ugh.
    > ...but why -- and how -- on Earth could they manage to send me
    > three problematic phones in a row after one simple service request?...

Random flipping of a coin whose bias is worse than 146:166 could do that to ya!

-- http://discuss.treocentral.com/poll....lts&pollid=598
    It seems the replacement phones are likely from select batches, and almost all are refurbs in one way or another. That seems to be the biggest contributor with one having to replace the phone more than once.

sorry to hear about everything. I'd insist on a new replacement as your phone pretty much had a problem from the outset.
    Has anybody actually gotten a "***NEW***" replacement phone - not refurbished? For GSM phones, you can check the number hours the phone has been used by dialing #*786 - life timer.

I've had the same echo problems for four (4) of the replacement units they sent me, I decided to keep one that is partially defective (the phone app hangs sometimes, need to soft reset) but does not have the speakerphone echo problem. I've decided to just settle for this unit than be aggravated about getting a more defective replacement..

Got the same issues with wild variances in LCD quality too.

It's not fair that we settle for refurbished units when we paid for a new unit that fails within a week or so from date of purchase. I'd say speak to the CS manager to escalate this - I did, that didn't go anywhere but at least I got my word in
    You guys are scaring me with your horror stories of terrible quality of the treo 600 phone replacements. I'm currently waiting on a replacement phone as my treo that has developed a bad problem with calls cutting (fading) in and out with a static sound similar to manually tuning an old AM radio when the static would fade in and out as you went from one station to the other and locked in the signal for the new station.

Very frustrating because I'm constantly asking people to repeat themselves.

Hoping for the best but expecting the worst

I'll tell you what though, I won't accept a semi-defective replacement. They are either going to give me a 100% working phone or some $$$, if not they are going to have to live with a huge pest........................ME
    No good deed goes unpunished
    Quote Originally Posted by leonracsis
    Has anybody actually gotten a "***NEW***" replacement phone - not refurbished? For GSM phones, you can check the number hours the phone has been used by dialing #*786 - life timer.
    How does the code work? I tried entering it and did not get the life timer value. I got nothing just back to the main screen?
    It sounds to me like they are doing a terrible job refurbishing them, and need to terminate a contract or let a few heads roll..

Logic is this: say 5% have a defect, mainly echo/speaker problems, and a few bad screens. Well, the 95% who get good phones just keep them, and the 5% with problems send them back: then Palmone's replacement company just shuffles those 5% around without properly repairing them, and send them back to out, and surprise, most of the replacements HAVE THE SAME PROBLEMS as the units they are replacing. This cycle will continue forever until palmone wises up and replaces defective units with NEW units. Meanwhile the unlucky 5% complain ever louder and more vocally.

However I do think some of the complainers around here are too picky...
    MTT
    Handspring Visor, Palm V, HS Treo 180, HS Treo 90, P1 Treo 600, P1 Treo 650, Palm Treo 700p... still hanging tough with Palm OS
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by mtt
    It sounds to me like they are doing a terrible job refurbishing them, and need to terminate a contract or let a few heads roll..
    Yeah, but I'm pretty sure based on the date code that my first replacement was a new phone. The subsequent two replacements had Handspring logos and older date codes, so odds are they're refurbished.

Logic is this: say 5% have a defect, mainly echo/speaker problems, and a few bad screens. Well, the 95% who get good phones just keep them, and the 5% with problems send them back: then Palmone's replacement company just shuffles those 5% around without properly repairing them, and send them back to out, and surprise, most of the replacements HAVE THE SAME PROBLEMS as the units they are replacing. This cycle will continue forever until palmone wises up and replaces defective units with NEW units. Meanwhile the unlucky 5% complain ever louder and more vocally.
    It does seem as if the quality control problem is at the service depot and not in manufacturing. I know with a lot of electronics getting a refurbished unit is sometimes a better deal because you know it's been thoroughly inspected and tuned, but that definitely doesn't appear to be the case here.

However I do think some of the complainers around here are too picky...
    What's too picky when they're out 400 bucks (or more) for a device they carry every day? A small flaw is magnified when you have to deal with it that often. That said, I'll cop to being a bit stubborn about pursuing all my replacements after determining the echo problem is most likely AT&T's fault, but still. I ordered a non-branded phone and have gotten three replacements with some carrier's branding, one of them locked, and one of them not even the carrier I'm using. That's insane. And again, the small flaws are magnified when the process of getting a working phone is itself so arduous.
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    You know, that if you dont send the phones back within I think 15 days, they charge your credit card. airborne will come to you to pick them up, just call the 800 number and have them come out to pick them up. I dont know if Palm one will credit you after the 15 days...you may want to check quickly.

good luck

rob
    I have been experimenting with differeent scenarios. Here is what I have found. You will only get an echo if you dial somebody in speakerphone mode and they pick up while you are in speakerphone mode, they may hear themselves echo a bit.

If you dial in headset mode, they answer, then you switch to speakerphone = No Echo.

If you receive a call, answer and then switch on the speakerphone = No Echo.

If you are in speakerphone mode and the person on the other end is experiencing an echo, toggle off the speakerphone and then back on = No Echo.

Therefore, in my non-technical opinion, it is not a hardware issue.
    Easy work around. Try it.

PalmLover