1.    #1  
    I have been feeling pretty good about my treo lately... finally really got it set up the way I like after a couple of months and have really gotten comfortable (and dependent) on it. It's when you stop thinking about using a device on a daily basis that you know it's really great. It's also when you start taking something for granted that it really hits the fan...

Well, I had the treo cradled between my shoulder and ear while unpacking some groceries, and the unspeakable happened: the treo slipped out and fell into an open pitcher of water which was on the counter. There was about a second of TOTAL immersion as I stared in disbelief and then frantically began trying to fish the treo out of it.

The real problem is that the screen is on and showing that the call I was making is still collected (there caller might have heard some pretty salty language from my end at this point). So I was fumbling for a reset pin to reset the phone to shut it off, as none of the keys were responding and the screen was no longer touch sensitive at this point.

After resetting the phone and managing to turn it off, I popped the SD and SIM cards out (fortunately I did an SD backup onto it the night before) and took the antenna nub off with a trusty torx screwdriver. I then used a hairdryer on the low setting to try to dry the inside out through the openings.

At this point, I wasn't too hopeful... none of the buttons were responsive on the face, and the screen, while not visibly damaged, was not touch responsive. I managed to put the treo down for about three hours to give it a final eval before I scrapped it for parts and went looking for a new one.

But lo and behold...about three hours after the dunking, it was working _perfectly_. Screen, camera, keyboard, speaker and mic all working perfectly! The SIM card got fried, but was easy enough to replace at the local tmobile store.

So in the end, I have wound up being pleasant surprised about the durability of the t600 and feeling extremely lucky that it was dunked in a pitcher of clean water rather than in say...a toilet.
    Awesome. Don't try that at home kids!
    MTT
    Handspring Visor, Palm V, HS Treo 180, HS Treo 90, P1 Treo 600, P1 Treo 650, Palm Treo 700p... still hanging tough with Palm OS
    I have this recurring dream that somehow I dropped my Treo into a pool of water.
    Quote Originally Posted by srlondon
    I have been feeling pretty good about my treo lately... finally really got it set up the way I like after a couple of months and have really gotten comfortable (and dependent) on it. It's when you stop thinking about using a device on a daily basis that you know it's really great. It's also when you start taking something for granted that it really hits the fan...

Well, I had the treo cradled between my shoulder and ear while unpacking some groceries, and the unspeakable happened: the treo slipped out and fell into an open pitcher of water which was on the counter. There was about a second of TOTAL immersion as I stared in disbelief and then frantically began trying to fish the treo out of it.

The real problem is that the screen is on and showing that the call I was making is still collected (there caller might have heard some pretty salty language from my end at this point). So I was fumbling for a reset pin to reset the phone to shut it off, as none of the keys were responding and the screen was no longer touch sensitive at this point.

After resetting the phone and managing to turn it off, I popped the SD and SIM cards out (fortunately I did an SD backup onto it the night before) and took the antenna nub off with a trusty torx screwdriver. I then used a hairdryer on the low setting to try to dry the inside out through the openings.

At this point, I wasn't too hopeful... none of the buttons were responsive on the face, and the screen, while not visibly damaged, was not touch responsive. I managed to put the treo down for about three hours to give it a final eval before I scrapped it for parts and went looking for a new one.

But lo and behold...about three hours after the dunking, it was working _perfectly_. Screen, camera, keyboard, speaker and mic all working perfectly! The SIM card got fried, but was easy enough to replace at the local tmobile store.

So in the end, I have wound up being pleasant surprised about the durability of the t600 and feeling extremely lucky that it was dunked in a pitcher of clean water rather than in say...a toilet.
    What are the odds? A pitcher of water just where you needed it while simultaneously unpacking groceries... If I were mean I would probably say it the true cast of characters (read: comedians) were the Treo, you, a magazine - and that pitcher of water was actually the toilet. Now come on - fess up! ;-)

You are one LUCKY - and VERY happy - Treo owner. I would play the lottery this week if I were you..but of course, if I WERE you - it would definitely have been a magazine, a toilet and a FRIED Treo and I would be out $20 bucks on Quickpix...so just goes to show you.

L
    Lee Ladisky
    Shortly after receiving my Treo, I got into my truck at night and put my Treo into the console cupholder. I had forgotten there was a big cup of CocaCola.I immediately started shaking it like you do a thermometer to get the mercury down. Turned it off until I got home to blow dry it. Only problem..keys were sticky for a couple of days.
    Math 6:33 But seek first His righteousness,and all these things will be given to you as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeladisky
    What are the odds? A pitcher of water just where you needed it while simultaneously unpacking groceries... If I were mean I would probably say it the true cast of characters (read: comedians) were the Treo, you, a magazine - and that pitcher of water was actually the toilet. Now come on - fess up! ;-)

You are one LUCKY - and VERY happy - Treo owner. I would play the lottery this week if I were you..but of course, if I WERE you - it would definitely have been a magazine, a toilet and a FRIED Treo and I would be out $20 bucks on Quickpix...so just goes to show you.

L
    Lee, you hit it right on the head. I had the toilet dunking experience with my Nokia phone. That was a foul and messy one.
    About eight years ago, I owned my own business and had a AlphaNumeric Pager that I heavily relied upon for business updates. One day while I was in the mens room at a local electronics store I had just finished my business and was refastening my trousers. I had just pushed the flush lever on the toilet and the pager popped off of my belt, fell into the toilet. With a loud ***THUNK***, my pager was gone! I don't mean wet, I mean gone. I stood there with my mouth gaping open in absolute amazement. I was completely speachless.

The next day I went to Arch Paging (the local paging company) and told them that I had flushed my pager down the toilet. The lady at the desk asked if the pager still worked. I explained to her that I didn't just drop my pager in the toilet, but that I flushed it down the toilet. Would you belive that she said that she had heard worse stories. She said that a customer once reported that she could not find her pager anywhere, a few days later that she found the pager lying in the back yard, not on a pile of dog mess but IN a pile of dog mess. It appears that her dog had EATEN and PASSED the pager. I didn't feel so bad after that.

Anyway, she told me that if I added the insurance to my pager that she would just give me a new one and that we would pretend that this whole thing never happened. I agreed.
    with my old treo i jad it in my shirt pocket while going to the toliet and you can all guess what happen but after a while of being blow dryed it was fine expect the baclight did not work but i could live with that
    Quote Originally Posted by PRANKSTAR
    with my old treo i jad it in my shirt pocket while going to the toliet and you can all guess what happen but after a while of being blow dryed it was fine expect the baclight did not work but i could live with that
    Has this thread digressed, or is it me?

I think the "in a dog pile" story wins the award. I won't tell you what I just found my dog eating, so I can sort of relate.

Toilet stories are funny... what OTHER funny, WHOOPS in the toilet stories can we come up with?

L
    Lee Ladisky
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeladisky
    Has this thread digressed, or is it me?

I think the "in a dog pile" story wins the award. I won't tell you what I just found my dog eating, so I can sort of relate.

Toilet stories are funny... what OTHER funny, WHOOPS in the toilet stories can we come up with?

L
    I need to get a life and obviously have WAY too much time on my hands... Figured I would admit it , and thereby defuse it, before somebody threw an inevidable accusation my way. Also - I can't spell.

[I don't think there's anything left in that post that someone can flame me for ;-)]
    Lee Ladisky
    I put mine through the washing machine and let it dry out but alas it is dead...
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by srlondon
    Well,...the treo slipped out and fell into an open pitcher of water which was on the counter. There was about a second of TOTAL immersion as I stared in disbelief and then frantically began trying to fish the treo out of it.

Sounds like ther should be a device called TreoSaver which would connect to ones Belt and if the tension on the string moved out too fast it would lock and keep someone from dropping their T600...
    Been there also with ultimately nothing damaged. Cleaning out a large vacuum line when water over flowed and went everywhere. The Treo with SD card was soaked. Nothing worked for about 30 minutes. I had read about connecting it to the charger sometimes brought it back to life. So, out of the case and upside down to drain for another thirty minutes. Connected it to the charger and it came to life immediately. The keys were whacked though. After about 2 hours, everything including the card worked. I was very surprised.

Ben
    Dropped my Treo 600 on the cement inside a parking garage, didn't notice it had fallen off my side (was in a cheapo case), realized it was gone 10 minutes later, retraced my steps to finally see it in sight when a car in the garage ran over it before my eyes. Treo was still in one piece, only a scratch or two but nothing worked, totally unresponsive. Popped in back on the charger when I got home and it came back to life, working perfectly now.