Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I know I'm going to take some heat for this but here goes:

I have an acquaintance in the palm development community that I trust. He has signed an NDA so I cannot reveal my source or he'll never share his cool toys with me again.

His company (and many others from what he said) have working prototypes of the next generation Treo. He said they did not make it clear what the name was going to be but here was what he knew so far:
    -Externally identical to existing T600 except higher screen resolution.
    -Bluetooth
    -improved battery life
    -He claimed there would be a GSM and CDMA version as well.

I don't care if you believe me or not. This person is a friend of mine and I looked him in the eye as we discussed this. That is what I know.

David
    David:

Sure hope he's right, because that's just what we've been clamoring for. If they didn't change the camera, some may complain about that, but the rest of the features wind my clock.
  3.    #3  
    dammit, I forgot to ask about the camera. He's already headed out of town again. I'll try to find out.

David
    Did he tell you when???? And from where?

L
    Lee Ladisky
    Little birdies are whispering the non-camera version is a myth.
    how can they improved batery life if its hi-res..
    obviously it would take more power ...
    "...that I trust. He has signed an NDA..."

Seems like a contradiction in terms. If he's willing to break his word on the NDA just to gossip to his buddies, how trustworthy can he be?
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by djs_tx
    I know I'm going to take some heat for this but here goes
    Yes you were right!

Blah, Blah, Blah...

Same ole' crap...just a different day!
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
    these specs seem reasonable:

1) hi res screen

2) 64 MB memory

3) bluetooth

4) 1.2 megapixel camera.

5) same or slightly longer battery life to accomodate power demands.

i doubt they will include wifi - too much of a drain on the battery. there MAY be sd cards with that capability released - doubt that though. id say palm waits for their zires to make some money for a while first before releasing the secret weapon - THE TREO 610 or 650, etc.
    one more - 312 to 400 MHZ bulverde xscale processor for multimedia / multitasking
    Cool, I wonder how much would P1 charge for this version?
    I would guess that P1 would use the same camera as the new Zire 72. First, it would be cheaper for them if all products used the same camera. Second, Micron has discontiued the current 600 camera.

How about a higer powered SD slot so we can use the current WIFI cards?
    I have the world in my Palm
    ...and it will sell for $289 (list price)
    Palm utterly seems to not "GET" WIFI.

They are unwilling or incapable of assisting 3rd party developers create compatible drivers for their OS -- and are indifferent to the fact that the Treo's SD slot is a non-standard incompatible orphan -- unable because of limited power, odd size, and location near attenna, to use most SD cards.
    -Externally identical to existing T600 except higher screen resolution.
    -Bluetooth
    -improved battery life
    -He claimed there would be a GSM and CDMA version as well.

David[/QUOTE]

The only thing that he's off about is the "externally identical" part. The next treo will be slightly larger to accomodate a removable battery without losing battery life. The screen will be a bit larger as well, but not much.

Cheers,

D

P.S. Oh yeah, it should be here during q4 of 2004.
    "Think. It's Patriotic."
  16.    #16  
    He was referring to the prototypes he has been given. It may be possible that the development units are not what will actually be sold
    i wonder how much an upgrade will be? i so want one but im not paying the money i paid for t600 AGAIN
    Quote Originally Posted by PRANKSTAR
    i wonder how much an upgrade will be? i so want one but im not paying the money i paid for t600 AGAIN
    Have you ever heard of Nokia, Sony-Ericsson, Motorola, etc. offering an upgrade discount? I haven't.
    Palm utterly seems to not "GET" WIFI.

But why would PalmOne need Wi-Fi for the Treo line when it's already connected to the caririers' high-speed (ok - mostly high speed) data networks? See what I mean - I can use the treo ANYWHERE, not just where there's a hot spot or if I've wired my house or whatever.

Granted, I have never used wi-fi, but I just do NOT get the big deal. Why do I need that on a Treo6X0? In my case, with Sprint's network, I get what I call 'device relevant' bandwidth. Since the screen is small, and I'm doing limited surfing and emailing, IMing, picture sending, etc - I think the speed I get with Sprint's data network is fine. Most importantly, it is EVERYwhere. Anywhere I go, I can browse, email, do whatever. All over the place. No wi-fi- repeaters needed or anything.

Clue me in people - tell me what I don't know. Convince me.
    But, but, ****, he looked him in the eye....that's got be be worth a million bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by cbrenner
    "...that I trust. He has signed an NDA..."

Seems like a contradiction in terms. If he's willing to break his word on the NDA just to gossip to his buddies, how trustworthy can he be?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast