1.    #1  
    I have a T600 and love it. I've seen several serial mouse style GPSs that will work with the T600, but was wondering if there might be a SD GPS that would work? Or even a Serial one that coonects directly to the phone without having a big long cord (non-mouse style)?
  2.    #2  
    Anyone? Are there no non-mouse style GPSs for the Treo 600? If not, does anybody else WISH there was one?
  4.    #4  
    Excellent! Thanks for the link...is anyone else excited about being able to get an SD GPS?
    Me, for one. But it seems this igolf product has been "coming" for a while. What's the latest news of its progress? I've been considering the mouse-style GPS for a bit since others seem to be happy with it. I have a lengthy roadtrip coming up in June and plan on having something besides my trusty Garmin GPS III+ to help me out. I'm just not sure right now which is the best for my needs. Six more weeks 'til I leave...I'm not sure that the igolf will even be worth the wait...assuming it's even out by then. It's well over twice the price of the mouse/mapopolis serial solution ($130) and, as far as I know (and I may very well be wrong), it doesn't have any storage in the SD/antenna at all. $300 seems like a bit much for what it does. If they change it so that it COULD save map info or other info on the card itself, that would be great. Then you could use it away from your car for things like hikes, etc...which, brings me to another question, how much of a drain on the battery will this have? I've heard that the Wifi SD cards are draining...what about this?
    Last edited by breckbone; 05/01/2004 at 08:27 AM.
    At twice the price, the likelihood of worse reception in a car, and lack of storage, I can't say I like the SD GPS idea.
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    What about this:

http://www.seidioonline.com/ProductD...D-SMGF1HSTR600

Shouldn't this allow more GPS types? It is supposed to be available the first week of May.
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by breckbone
    It's well over twice the price of the mouse/mapopolis serial solution ($130)
    Where can you get the mouse/Mapopolis serial solution for $130, I am about to purchase a GPS set and the best I have seen was $189 for the mouse and Mapopolis combo.

Just out of curiosity, what is the downside to the serial connection or mouse style for this application?

Thanks.
    Here's where I found it: http://www.buygpsnow.com/item.aspx?itemid=209
    It says something about a mapopolis subscription...that may have something to do w/the price, but didn't say much about it in the fine print. I didn't research that part of it yet since I'm holding out for a few weeks before I get something.
    The downside to having the serial connection vs the SDIO would mostly be the larger antenna. It's slightly less portable...however, that being said, it probably has better reception.
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    There was the catch. That version doesn't do auto rerouting and voice prompts. For those features, you need to get the CD version for $185.
    To each his own. Nobody said anything about wanting the voice prompts, etc. You asked about the location of the cheaper price.
    As far as the rerouting goes, what are people's opinions on its effectiveness? Voice prompts, for me at least, aren't worth the extra money, but how good are the rerouting instructions? Also, can you have it give you a selection of different ways to go? ie. if you are on an interstate that has been temporarily closed due to an accident, most people will start to bail with or w/o the GPS to help. If there was another less popular road that people might now know about, would this particular unit be able to suggest it?
    Quote Originally Posted by noahas
    There was the catch. That version doesn't do auto rerouting and voice prompts. For those features, you need to get the CD version for $185.
    No you don't need the cd version, I have the subscription and I have Mapopolis Navigator that I downloaded which is what does the rerouting and voice prompts. Well worth the extra money.

Quote Originally Posted by breckbone
    To each his own. Nobody said anything about wanting the voice prompts, etc. You asked about the location of the cheaper price.
    As far as the rerouting goes, what are people's opinions on its effectiveness? Voice prompts, for me at least, aren't worth the extra money, but how good are the rerouting instructions? Also, can you have it give you a selection of different ways to go? ie. if you are on an interstate that has been temporarily closed due to an accident, most people will start to bail with or w/o the GPS to help. If there was another less popular road that people might now know about, would this particular unit be able to suggest it?

I love the rerouting, does a great job. When I was first testing I took some wrong turns on purpose, I dialog box appears that says "finding new route" and figures out the route for you with no assistance. With your senario of the freeway accident, all you would have to do is exit, or turn around and it would find you a new route. You can also specify to avoid freeways, etc.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Following on from previous post, if you took an exit off say a blocked highway, wouldn't it just direct you back to the highway as being the 'best' way to go assuming you were following its instructions in first instance?
    You may want to revisit the last sentence in his post. 8)