View Poll Results: How often to you HotSync?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • More tha 2x a day

21 28.38%
  • 2x a day

8 10.81%
  • Every day

27 36.49%
  • Every Day (Automated)

1 1.35%
  • Every few days

10 13.51%
  • Once a week

2 2.70%
  • Once a month

2 2.70%
  • Hotsync???

3 4.05%
  1.    #1  
    I have an automated hotsync happen while I am asleep.
    Last edited by Tavisjohn; 04/29/2004 at 04:39 PM.
    Palm III > Palm IIIC > Handera 330 > Kyocera 6035 & Sony NR70V > Treo 600 > Treo650 & Palm LifeDrive > Modded LifeDrive w/16gig CF > Palm Pre
    3 times is the least.

Once in the morning, on the main pc.
    When I get to work.
    When i get home on my laptop.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Since I got a backup program that could go to the SD card, I rarely hotsync. In fact, I've been running SuSE Linux on my laptop for a few months, and I don't guess I've hotsynced the entire time <g>.

Now, backup? I backup every few days so that a fairly recent "state" of programs, etc. would be accessible.

I use a program called SyncWise Enterprise to wirelessly sync my address book and calendar back to GroupWise at my server pretty much every day, and since Groupwise is also email and I have an IMAP copy of it on the Treo, it would only take a couple of minutes to get all of that data back on the Palm should something catastrophic happen to the Treo. I have 2 SD cards, keep one in my desk and one in the phone, and rotate them every couple of days. However, since my main "data" app is GroupWise for address book, calendar and email, even if my SD card backup were a few days old or lost, etc. it would really only mean that "programs" would have to be reinstalled from scratch.

So, although I don't "hotsync" per se, I guess I'm really in the "few times a day" range for updating "data" to an external source that could be used to restore my vital info.

Danita
    I only Hotsync when I'm downloading new software. I use Backupman so I don't see the need to do it otherwise.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Once a day.
    I was hotsyncing once in the morning and once in the evening.

Since Good finally got their crap together and we've got Goodlink installed on my Treo, I'm now only hotsyncing when I have to. Such as moving an updated spreadsheet, updating my money accounts, or installing new software.
    GSM Treo 600 with Cingular
    New Avatar caused by:This Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom
    I only Hotsync when I'm downloading new software. I use Backupman so I don't see the need to do it otherwise.
    Same here. Backupman runs every night.
    At least 4 to 5 times a day. I live on Outlook, and Avantgo content so I find myself pressing the Hotsync button on the cradle pretty often.

The Treo/Outlook combination allows me to have the latest version of everything with me at all times: Contacts, Calendar, To Do's, Notes, (shopping lists, directions, etc), and many more.

Realizing my dependency on my data, I have developed a very proactive, and still transparent backup strategy: I have an Add-on utility that backups Outlook on a separate folder every 3 days. Then, I use the Windows XP backup utility (amazing in my opinion) to backup the Handspring folder, the Outlook .pst file, and its backup to a different HDD every 2 weeks.

In other words, at any given time I have copies of all my data on: Treo, Outlook, Handspring Backup folder, Outlook Backup folder, and on a different Backup HDD.
    i use yahoo's online calendar and address book, so once a day is enough in the unlikely event that yahoo's servers lose data, it seems to me.
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    I hotsync at least 4x a day to the desktop because of new appointments etc.
    Like GeekyMom and lb505, I let BackUpMan back me up to SD card every night. I hotsync about every month now, when I add new software that I can't download and install directly.
    I backup to SD once every couple of days. I use a cradle at my desk, so I backup about twice a day.
    i hotsync once a day but how do i get it to do a hotsync auto?
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom
    I use Backupman as well, but use several other programs like Avantgo and Pocket TV Browser that require a hotsync in order to update their content. I know you can do this wirelessly with Avantgo but it is quicker to hotsync the new data when I'm near the cradle.

I end up hotsyncing 3-4 times a day.
    No good deed goes unpunished
    Quote Originally Posted by PRANKSTAR
    i hotsync once a day but how do i get it to do a hotsync auto?
    I reccomend BackupMan. Mine backs up every night at 2 a.m. to the SD card so I don't worry about backups for the sake of backups. I hotsync only to install new software.