1.    #1  
    Hi,

Having just ordered a Treo 600 phone on the (UK) Orange network, I'm now wondering about the best way to get it to access our Exchange 2000 server.

There seem to be three options (have I missed any?).

Firstly, I could use OWA PDA from leederbyshire.com on the Exchange server and then use the web browser on the phone to access my email.

From what I can tell from having run the demo version on a standard browser, it is really quite neat and simple to use. Total cost about 100.

Secondly, I could use an email client such as Snappermail which currently only supports POP3 but is due to do IMAP shortly. As I wouldn't want to open any more ports on the firewall, I would need to couple this with a VPN client for the phone, such as Mergic.

Total cost is about 50.

Finally, I could use Snappermail again, but running as a client to an external ISP with all my email being automatically forwarded from our Exchange box to the ISP.

Not really sure I like the sound of that. It's messy and also leaves the problem of how I synchronize the sent items with those on the Exchange server.

The things I don't like about the second option are:
    a) AIUI, the POP3 client only shows the main Inbox folder, and not any subfolders - is that right?
    b) It's more complicated to configure - got to enable POP3 access to Exchange mailbox, faff about getting VPN client to work, etc etc.

So, I reckon the OWA for PDA option sounds best. Would others here agree?

My only concern is the amount of data involved? Given that I will be using the phone just to scan the list of emails and only open/reply to any that look especially important, would the OWA solution result in signifcantly more or less data transfer than the Snapper client coupled with the VPN?

Thanks in advance,
    Dave.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Check into GoodLink. www.good.com works great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessop
    Check into GoodLink. www.good.com works great.
    However, unless you looking to deploy Goodlink, it is not a very cost effective solution for only a few people.
    GSM Treo 600 with Cingular
    New Avatar caused by:This Post
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MovieGene
    However, unless you looking to deploy Goodlink, it is not a very cost effective solution for only a few people.

True he didn't say how many people he had but for a moderate / large user base it is a good solution (pun not intended). Other than that you would have to put the Exchange server in a DMZ and allow the Treo's to connect to the Exhange server or through OWA but you would need ALOT of customization for OWA to work well enough for Treo's to see the interface. If you didn't want to use OWA you would have to use liek you said POP3 or SMTP and allow users to attach to the server. And personally unless you were on top of getting all the Win2k/2k3 and Exchange patches installed i would be a little concerned having the server outside your intranet.
    If you have an always connected desktop PC at your office location, don't count out the 'redirector' type applications:

Inbox-to-go
    Visto Express
    Basejet

And I think there might be a few others. I've been using Basejet for about a year and, so far it's my favorite, even considering some of it's issues...