Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1.    #1  
    Hi

    My Treo 600 is on the Orange UK network. I have upgraded the firmware to 3.04.

    However is has developed the dreaded BUZZING noise and I want to get it replaced.... I am a bit worried that my warranty has now been invalidated because of this.

    Does anyone know where I can get the Orange UK firmware from so that I can re-flash it back to the Orange icons.

    Also Orange UK want to know the original serial number of the phone - but it looks the firmware upgrades change it! Does anyone know if the number on the back of the phone underneath the IMEI number is equivalent to the original serial number?

    Thanks

    A frastrated Treo 600 user. Damm that buzzing noise !!!!!
  2. #2  
    On my new OUK Treo 600, the lower number on the back of the phone is the same as the 'HS SN' in the Phone Info. So i guess that's a yes to the last part of your post?

    Personally I'm debating whether or not to upgrade my firmware for the purpose of unlocking. I'll be in the Channel Islands for the summer and so need to unlock it somehow. I think i'll probably put it off until the last minute (so there's more chance that if something goes wrong over the next few mionths, i'll be in warranty no problem) then patch it just before i go.

    Would you say the upgrade was worth it apart from the buzzing? I know 3.04 isnt patched for unlocking yet, but im just interested! Anyway, good luck fixing your problems...

    Tom

    Oh and by the way, from what ive read im pretty sure you can't revert im afraid. Ive read you can revert from say, 2.09 to 2.08, but not back to the original 1.xx and im not sure where you can go from 3.04!
    Last edited by Tommy G; 04/30/2004 at 06:19 AM. Reason: addition
  3.    #3  
    You can use another firmware patcher to just unlock the treo and also keep all the orange branded apps.

    Personally apart from the buzzing - the upgrade is worth it as it appears to respond faster... and some orange apps were pointless anyway. However after the upgrade you may need to load all your apps from scratch....
  4. #4  
    How does that work exactly? Sorry if this is off topic, but Ive read soooo many threads about upgrading and i'm still a little confused. I'd obviously like to keep my Orange bits and unlock it, but i thought that was impossible.

    According to Coljac's FAQ, there are patched versions of FW2.12 and FW2.09, but those firmwares are not Orange branded obviously. I guess they are generic? Also, they appear to come with SW updates too (1.09 and 1.11 respectively) - does this have anything to do with Orange branding?

    Coljac's 'method D' looks useful, but it uses the 1.12 software from the Crow-FW3.04, and the 2.12 firmware from the patched Cingular-FW2.12. Surely this would mean i would end up without my Orange bits?

    You mentioned a firmware patcher- is this different to these firware 'upgrades' that I've been talking about?

    Thanks for any advice- and sorry for turning this thread into another thread about unlocking etc! I'll happily delete this post later if you want to return to your original subject of downgrading It's just really confusing, and even Coljac's (very useful) FAQ seems slightly contradictory at times!

    Tom
  5. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by sjsp123
    Hi

    My Treo 600 is on the Orange UK network. I have upgraded the firmware to 3.04.

    However is has developed the dreaded BUZZING noise and I want to get it replaced.... I am a bit worried that my warranty has now been invalidated because of this.

    Does anyone know where I can get the Orange UK firmware from so that I can re-flash it back to the Orange icons.

    Also Orange UK want to know the original serial number of the phone - but it looks the firmware upgrades change it! Does anyone know if the number on the back of the phone underneath the IMEI number is equivalent to the original serial number?

    Thanks

    A frastrated Treo 600 user. Damm that buzzing noise !!!!!
    You cannot revert to Orange branded firmware/software. It is not availabe. If Orange refuse to replace your phone, you can refer to the handspring.co.uk web site and look up the Service Centre for the UK (A Novo). They will replace it for a charge of 85 inc postage but email them first to check they have one in stock and check cost. The buzzing has been discussed on other threads and it is considered to be caused by a poor contact inside the handset as the speakers and mic are not hard wired to the PCB but rely on spring contacts. I read of someone opening the case and adjusting this, but yer talking high risk stuff and definite voiding of warranty. There are also threads on opening the T6 if you go this route.
  6. #7  
    Orange UK dont know what firmware your using i thought i had done the same thing but they just came to my house and took the phone and didnt check it or anything so it does not matter
  7.    #8  
    Thanks for the advice. I will try Orange and see what they say.
  8. Stig's Avatar
    Posts
    329 Posts
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    #9  
    Just in case anyone in the UK doesn't know, you can now buy an unlocked Treo 600 direct from PalmOne. The bad news is that they cost 525 pounds!
  9. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by scudder
    You cannot revert to Orange branded firmware/software. It is not availabe. If Orange refuse to replace your phone, you can refer to the handspring.co.uk web site and look up the Service Centre for the UK (A Novo). They will replace it for a charge of 85 inc postage but email them first to check they have one in stock and check cost. The buzzing has been discussed on other threads and it is considered to be caused by a poor contact inside the handset as the speakers and mic are not hard wired to the PCB but rely on spring contacts. I read of someone opening the case and adjusting this, but yer talking high risk stuff and definite voiding of warranty. There are also threads on opening the T6 if you go this route.
    Hi Scudder,

    Im thinking of upgrading my firmware to 3.04, but like others have said - I would like to be able to revert to the earlier ORANGE BRANDED version.

    I've currently upgraded to 2.04, which is an official Orange branded fw...

    Would just re-installing the official 2.04 fw not bring back all the orange branding if required?

    The main reason im looking to upgrade is because I hear that 3.04 has impoved reception... anyone got any experience of this?
  10. #11  
    Currently running 2.08
  11. #12  
    cy80rg, it would indeed restore Orange stuff, I was not aware of the OUK official upgrade to 2.04. Looks like you can go ahead and try 3.04 yourself. Can't say I have noticed much diference in the speed or reception. What I do like is being able to record video with sound, and voice if i ever needed it.
    I also unlocked using method D and now have a dual sim card holder for switching between SPs.
  12. #13  
    Thanks for confirming that, Scudder

    Just a quick status update on my 3.04 update:

    * Transferred crow prc file as in method a.1 found at "http://coljac.net/treo_firmware_faq.html"

    (i.e the section of Method A, begining

    "...The following is a method for doing the above without a SD card. Like always, use at own risk...." )

    * Ran Crow file, but got error message "The database named "ZLib" cannot be replaced, because the original cannot be deleted.

    * OK'd this message - install continued

    * "Incompatible device... The updater is not compatible with this device" error comes up, and installer exits.


    I seem to recall reading this some where else on TreoCentral, but if anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd apreciate it !

    BTW... I know it's a different process if one wants to UNLOCK the phone, but Im not overly fussed about this at the moment.
    Last edited by cy80rg; 05/09/2004 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Additional detail
  13. #14  
    You have to use tokenwriter to change the crnm to INT (yours probably says OUK at the moment)
  14. #15  
    First up... thanx for all your help!

    Have done fw updates a few times - im not a complete n00b - but must say Im a bit nervous about unofficial fw's.

    By changing the crnm to INT ( I beleive this makes it generic rather than branded, ie OUK?), will i still be able to apply official OUK FW's *IF* they're released?

    Again, I seem to recall reading such difficulties somewhere...

    Cheers
    *******Treo 600 on GSM Orange UK*******
    Firmware: 03.04
    Software: Treo600-1.12/1030/03...
    Hardware: B
  15. #16  
    Yep just change it back to OUK before updates. Keep a copy of tokenwriter

    And as for OUK upgrade, that is a big IF
  16. #17  
    One last concern...

    If I do change the crnm to INT, will i be able to revert to the 2.08 OUK FW?

    Seem to recall I may not be able to... setting it to INT means it cant confirm it's an OUK (as such, compatible) unit... or does reverting also change this too?
    Last edited by cy80rg; 05/09/2004 at 01:25 PM. Reason: correction
    *******Treo 600 on GSM Orange UK*******
    Firmware: 03.04
    Software: Treo600-1.12/1030/03...
    Hardware: B
  17. #18  
    **Status update & latest(?) OUK F/W**

    Just run the 3.04 FW, after a few too many "thick" moments , and help from Scudder (cheers! ) , and it seems to be all fine and dandy...

    The latest OUK FW I had was (I believe) 2.12, which still had all the Orange UK doodahs, and I believe was official.

    Anyway, if anyone wants it leave me a post... (it's 5.xx mb)
    *******Treo 600 on GSM Orange UK*******
    Firmware: 03.04
    Software: Treo600-1.12/1030/03...
    Hardware: B
  18. #19  
    Last night I ran the 3.05 GSM update on an unlocked orange treo. After update it no longer recognises the vodofone chip I was using before. All attempts at downgrading fail so far mostly with newer rom messages. Any ideas as to what the phone is likely to work with or how to force a downgrade of the rom?

    TIA Kevan
  19. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by cy80rg
    **Status update & latest(?) OUK F/W**

    Just run the 3.04 FW, after a few too many "thick" moments , and help from Scudder (cheers! ) , and it seems to be all fine and dandy...

    The latest OUK FW I had was (I believe) 2.12, which still had all the Orange UK doodahs, and I believe was official.

    Anyway, if anyone wants it leave me a post... (it's 5.xx mb)
    Cyborg - where can I get an official firwear upgrade from Oragne - I'm running 1.15 and can't see where to get the upgrade from the palm one site

    Thanks in advance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions