Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Does anyone know if there is a handsfree car kit for a Sprint Treo 600 yet?
    The car kits are actually the same for both GSM and CDMA. However, there is still a delay in the prc file that is needed for the CDMA versions.

EMail from THB:
    Hey Gene,

Cool!
    The car-kits are the same for the Sprint CDMA Treo 600 and the GSM Treo 600ís. We are waiting on the PRC file to be posted on the PalmOne website which should be available in the next week or so. You will be able to find it at www.palmone.com/carkit and then click on the Treo 600 car-kit driver link and this will take you to the download page. When it becomes available you will see the PRC file under the Sprint logo.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.
    GSM Treo 600 with Cingular
    New Avatar caused by:This Post
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Thanks Gene: Now that I now they're the same (other than the specific prc file for Sprint) I'll go ahead and order one.

Thank again.

Ed
    Quote Originally Posted by limoman
    Thanks Gene: Now that I now they're the same (other than the specific prc file for Sprint) I'll go ahead and order one.

Thank again.

Ed
    You can order directly from www.car-kit.com
    They make several different versions that aren't shown if you follow the links from palmOne.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Let us know how it works. I'd love to hear from someone who's used the Sprint version as I'm considering buying it too. I also don't really understand what the software piece is for. The Seidio car kit (www.seidio.com) doesn't mention any .prc file requirement for their kit...
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Are you SURE about them being the same? I would think that the CDMA version would require a different antenna.

I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.
    Does the CDMA version have the external antenna plug hole on the back like the GSM one?
    I know it doesn't work without the carkit.prc file in your RAM.
    I forgot to add mine back on my Treo after my last hard reset, and now the Treo won't work in the car kit.
    I'll have to re-install in the AM.
    It charges while in the car kit, but the carkit microphone and speaker aren't working.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crashless
    Are you SURE about them being the same? I would think that the CDMA version would require a different antenna.

I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.
    Ok, I'll bite - why would CDMA require a different antenna??
    The Treo 600 car kits that we carry from Superior have been delayed for release until May 5th. Noone who sells them can get access to them until the 5th.

We have plenty on backorder. Personally, I can't wait to get my hands on them.
    Have you heard Marillion's Marbles? www.Marillion.com

PalmPilot, Palm 512K, Palm V, Sony Clie N760C, Sony Clie NX-70V, Treo 600, Sony Ericsson P900, BlackBerry 7100t, Siemens SX1, Nokia 7710, Siemens SK65, Treo 650... Currently, Treo 700P.

Yes, I have a problem and I am trying to get help.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Ok, I'll bite - why would CDMA require a different antenna?
    Needs a different antenna because of different frequencies used for the technology. Antennas need to be different lengths depending on the wavelengths you are trying to tune, if its the wrong length, you won't get good reception.

The seidio kit doesn't need a prc because it uses the headphone jack for sound.

MovieGene - do you have the PalmOne kit? does it require a plug into the headphone jack to get sound, or does it get audio out the universal connector? There isn't an official kit for the CDMA yet, so I don't think anyone around here can say if it will have a jack for an antenna. My guess is that the base will be identical to the GSM version but bundled with a different antenna attachment.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    The April 2004 release of the handsfree car kit for Sprint phones has turned into May 2004. Any word on an updated release date? Or should I start preparing for June 2004?
    Needs a different antenna because of different frequencies used for the technology. Antennas need to be different lengths depending on the wavelengths you are trying to tune, if its the wrong length, you won't get good reception.

The seidio kit doesn't need a prc because it uses the headphone jack for sound.

MovieGene - do you have the PalmOne kit? does it require a plug into the headphone jack to get sound, or does it get audio out the universal connector? There isn't an official kit for the CDMA yet, so I don't think anyone around here can say if it will have a jack for an antenna. My guess is that the base will be identical to the GSM version but bundled with a different antenna attachment.
    It requires a plug into the headphone jack. See pictures here
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Well that makes sense then. No way to get audio in/out of the universal connector at all.

I will go out on a limb then, and say that the prc will have to be different because of different firmware in the sprint version, and the antenna will be slightly (it may not be noticable) different because of RF tuning.

Question though, you obviously have to remove the rubber plug that covers the antenna attachment to place it in the cradle, do you leave it removed all the time, or do you constantly remove/put back in? If you leave it removed, do you have lint collection problems?

Just curious, thanks.
    probally a silly question but why would you need a external antanna when the treo its self has one
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    Well that makes sense then. No way to get audio in/out of the universal connector at all.

I will go out on a limb then, and say that the prc will have to be different because of different firmware in the sprint version, and the antenna will be slightly (it may not be noticable) different because of RF tuning.

Question though, you obviously have to remove the rubber plug that covers the antenna attachment to place it in the cradle, do you leave it removed all the time, or do you constantly remove/put back in? If you leave it removed, do you have lint collection problems?

Just curious, thanks.
    The company that did my install removed the plug for me, and I haven't seen it since. No lint problems or anything like that.

The prc is part of the firmware upgrade now available at PalmOne.
    http://www.palmone.com/us/support/do...int_v1_20.html
    We now have them in stock and I am going to try one on my Sprint Treo 600.
    Have you heard Marillion's Marbles? www.Marillion.com

PalmPilot, Palm 512K, Palm V, Sony Clie N760C, Sony Clie NX-70V, Treo 600, Sony Ericsson P900, BlackBerry 7100t, Siemens SX1, Nokia 7710, Siemens SK65, Treo 650... Currently, Treo 700P.

Yes, I have a problem and I am trying to get help.
    according to the upgrade list, the Car Kit should now work!!
    Palm III > Palm IIIC > Handera 330 > Kyocera 6035 & Sony NR70V > Treo 600 > Treo650 & Palm LifeDrive > Modded LifeDrive w/16gig CF > Palm Pre