wow, that is the cheapest treo I've seen
    When the dark clouds gather on the horizon, when thunder and lightning fills the sky, When fate is but a glint in the eye of a fallen Rattler, And hopes are lost friends, When the sinew of the chest grows weary from those hard-charging linebackers, And the muscles in the legs grow tired from those hard-charging running backs ... You must remember that the Rattlers will... Strike, Strike, and Strike again.
    Quote Originally Posted by cingulartreo

an inventory dump?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Dang... I just bought one for cingular last week for $399 after 2 rebates... dang nab it!

I did see $299 for the Sprint version at Comp USA. A 3 day special, last week.
    Make way for the Treo 610!
    OK here is the plan. Prices are coming down to our chagrin.
    But we don’t want the T600 anymore we want the T610.
    Problem; too much inventory to Drop our phones and get a
    T610 replacement.
    So everyone needs to talk up the T600, everywhere you go
    Ask, plead, beg people to but the T600.
    Results: Inventory depleted, replace your suddenly broken
    Phone for a Brand new T610

Never mind this is stupid…
    Sorry about the typing errors; I'm all thumbs.
    The pricing reinforces the notion that Cingular itself isn't a PalmOne TREO 600 customer anymore.

(neither Cingular nor T-Mobile carry the TREO 600 on their retail web pages - Cingular has no link whatsoever to a "Buy One Now"-type page, T-Mobile has one that directly forwards to PalmOne. Both discuss the TREO 600 on their Business pages only)
    Lord, such speculation. Maybe, MAYBE the price drop reflects the impending 610*. But more likely it just reflects the standard pricing model in the technology industry. When a product is new, and supply tight, prices are high. In large part because early adopters (that's you and me, folks) are willing to pay it. As supply increases, and the product moves more into the mainstream (read: higher volume sales), prices drop.

This model worked for VCRs, computers, TVs, CD and DVD players, satellite TV systems, telephones (corded, cordless and cell), handhelds, and virtually every other electronic device made in the last 25 years. Why do you think the Treo will be any different?

*About the 610: Here's my bet. It will be IDENTICAL to the 600 except for the model number and Verizon branding. Verizon likes its phones to be "unique." My son has a Nokia 3588i on Sprint. The exact same phone on Verizon is the 3589i. The only reason I see for the different model is so that people can't come in to a Verizon store and say "Sprint's giving the same phone away for free, how come I have to pay for it here?"
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    > ...It will be IDENTICAL to the 600 except for the model number
    > and Verizon branding. Verizon likes its phones to be "unique."...

Circuit City, and possibly other retailers, used to use the same trick to sell consumer electronics on which they have a "lowest price" guarantee - close reading of thier guarantee showed that it applied only for the same model number...

=====

Note - editted to be more fair to CC - the "anecdotal info" I have may be historical, not current.
    Last edited by SeldomVisitor; 04/29/2004 at 07:45 AM.
    I agree with the above two posts.
    Much ado about nothing. Yet.
    (hope I'm wrong, but...doubt it)
    I'm confused... don't you people buy computer stuff?
    Why is everyone always bringing up the 610 (or whatever) new model is coming out...

This happens every day folks, with every electronic product... yet you all know that.

If you're worried about your electronic stuff going out of date and being worthless then don't buy anything!!!

Unless you own "antique" computer stuff that some crazy person is collecting the Treo you are holding is technically worth $0 so get use to it...
    every other freakn post on this site is about how the next model is coming... how do you think the 180 people feel??

Geez... I should have bought a Sony smart phone...
    Last edited by JimHoboken; 04/29/2004 at 09:51 AM.
    duh! I just ordered mine yesterday from attws for $400 with 2 year contract!
    Quote Originally Posted by JimHoboken
    I'm confused... don't you people buy computer stuff?
    Why is everyone always bringing up the 610 (or whatever) new model is coming out...

This happens every day folks, with every electronic product... yet you all know that.

If you're worried about your electronic stuff going out of date and being worthless then don't buy anything!!!

Unless you own "antique" computer stuff that some crazy person is collecting the Treo you are holding is technically worth $0 so get use to it...
    every other freakn post on this site is about how the next model is coming... how do you think the 180 people feel??

Geez... I should have bought a Sony smart phone...
    I agree with the spirit of what you said, but not the highlighted sentence. I sold 2 used Treo 600's on eBay for about $650 each, the last of which was about 4 weeks ago. On a different issue, this gave me first-hand data on how HOT this device really is!