Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    I use Groupwise email and access it on my T600 through a Web site - this is slow, cumbersome, and doesn't allow me to save attachments. I am unfamiliar with Snappermail but understand that the new version is comaptible with Groupwise. Does anyone have experience with this combination? Will it add any value to my Groupwise email on my handheld?
    thanks,
    amell
    Amell,

If you can access your email via a pop3 server, you can use any pop3 mail client to grab your mail.

If you can access your mail via an IMAP server, snapper currently doesn't support this. You will have to use chatter or versamail. Snapper will support IMAP in the near future.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Personally, I use VersaMail for GroupWise access. I'm testing SyncWise Enterprise, which is really a lot nicer in many ways, but it needs a better email client interface (uses the Palm mail.prc from awhile back).

VersaMail is probably the closest thing to a true IMAP client out there (it could use a few additions itself), and keeps my Treo with the same inbox as I have on the GW master with little thought. I have it connect every 15 minutes during the day.

Danita
    I use Groupwise at work and we have pop3 access. Snappermail works great and I'd recommend it. The only pain is going back to delete stuff you already read when you get back to the office...
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tjma
    The only pain is going back to delete stuff you already read when you get back to the office...
    That's really where IMAP support is crucial. I get so much mail every day (hundreds of emails) that I can't even start to think of using a program where I'd have to go through the mail twice <g>. GroupWise supports IMAP as well, of course, and except for very casual use, I'd recommend IMAP for anyone who is trying to maintain two copies of the mailbox (phone and master) regardless of what their master is (GroupWise, Exchange, Notes, etc.).

Danita
    As Danita said, IMAP is really the only way to go for the amount of email most of us get without a true sync solution. Snappermail will become a major player as an IMAP client when they release it and work any version 1.0 bugs out.

The problem that most users will face is that many companies do not want to open up ports 143 or 993 (not sure if SIMAP will be in snappermail release) through their firewalls.

So this goes back to my biggest complaint with the Treo 600 so far, the lack of a VPN client.
    i use mergic vpn client to get inside my company's internal network, then i use versamail as my imap client. works great except i can't get versamail to delete messages on the imap server after i've deleted them on my treo600. i have the check box checked, but the feature just doesn't work.

any suggestions?

ps. mergic vpn works great, although it is only pptp (not ipsec).
    "The problem that most users will face is that many companies do not want to open up ports 143 or 993 (not sure if SIMAP will be in snappermail release) through their firewalls."

SnapperMail will support secure IMAP. Based on what I've heard, they are doing a good job of getting rid of the bugs before releasing this version. I'll let you know in a couple of weeks :-)

A lot of us have been waiting for this for a long time. I intend to consolidate my various accounts to an IMAP account at FuseMail, as well as access my corporate e-mail through secure IMAP.
    Sorry f10ab1b, I meant ipsec based vpns. Movian is dragging their feet....
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by f10ab1b
    i can't get versamail to delete messages on the imap server after i've deleted them on my treo600. i have the check box checked, but the feature just doesn't work.
    It's not terribly intuitive. VersaMail has to be told to empty the trash before messages are on the master. So I have the "trash" folder set to get the deleted messages, and I tell VersaMail to purge immediately. This under Preferences, Advanced - check the Auto-Empty Mail from Trash - I say Immediately myself, and let the messages just be in the trash in the master.

Danita
    What about Nexic Synchronis?

http://www.nexic.com/synchronis/index.html

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Synchronis is fine, but doesn't do wireless sync for Palms yet. So you just get your mail when you cradle sync - not much good for checking mail on the road yet <g>.

Danita