Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Ok, I need a way to keep my personal and work life separate, but on one Palm. My work calendar is through Outlook on my work PC, my personal calendar is on Yahoo Mail/Calendar.

Is there a way to have two separate apps run on the Palm, one to sync with my outlook and one to sync with Yahoo Mail? (Yahoo mail provides an app to do the syncing.) How would reminders/alarms work?

And if I can do that, can I do the same for my personal/work contacts?

Thanks in advance.

--Daniel
    I think there are a couple of third party apps that do not utilize the native palm files. However, with the last month of postings missing, I'm at a loss.
    GSM Treo 600 with Cingular
    New Avatar caused by:This Post
    I would look at www.wesync.com. I have used it for years. Palm bought it and did nothing with it. A new group just bought it and are upgrading it. You can have as many calendars as you want. You can also have different contact list. You can sync with other people over the web.

You can look at two calendars at one time. So you can have a work calendar, a home calendar and your wife's calendar. Your wife can keep her calendar, but everytime you sync it updates your palm with your wife's calendar. And everytime she syncs it updates her Palm with your calendar. You can set it up so people you work with can have your calendar on their Palm.

It is great.

I do not know about the Yahoo thing. But does that really matter?

SPG
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Another idea would be to use a full-featured calendar app like DateBK5 and use categories - create a "work" category and a "personal" category. Sync everything together, but then use DateBK5's View functionality to switch between the work and personal views. You could make another view for your wife's calendar, etc.

I realize you were asking about running 2 independant calendar apps, but I think that would be unnecessary and potentially frustrating to maintain. You might be surprised at how powerful DateBK5's views can be. Just an idea.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc
    Another idea would be to use a full-featured calendar app like DateBK5 and use categories - create a "work" category and a "personal" category. Sync everything together, but then use DateBK5's View functionality to switch between the work and personal views. You could make another view for your wife's calendar, etc.

I realize you were asking about running 2 independant calendar apps, but I think that would be unnecessary and potentially frustrating to maintain. You might be surprised at how powerful DateBK5's views can be. Just an idea.

Believe it or not, I actually *DO* want two calendars. Yahoo Calendar is great, because on days I forget my palm, it sends me a text message reminder to my phone, and I can enter and delete appointments from my phone.

SOOOOOO...what I need is a calendar app that can sync with Yahoo, while my DateBook syncs with Outlook - and the two are separate, and both reside on the Palm.

Thanks for previous suggestions ...
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    bump...if anyone has ANY suggestions...please....thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by skaorsk8
    Believe it or not, I actually *DO* want two calendars. Yahoo Calendar is great, because on days I forget my palm, it sends me a text message reminder to my phone, and I can enter and delete appointments from my phone
    I dont understand, do you have a Treo???

Im with Minsc on Datebk5. The categories allow you to seperate things nicely and access quickly using views. You could even make another view to show work AND personal when your trying to schedule something.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Yes. I have a treo (work phone) and a personal phone (nextel). Heh. I call the Treo: "the palm".

Ok...so I'm guessing this is not possible...since everyone keeps saying use Datebk5
    Its probably possible but try to keep an open mind to the possibilities of a solution that works better. Could you ditch the nextel and just use the Treo? Kind of kills the whole convergence thing.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirdType
    Its probably possible but try to keep an open mind to the possibilities of a solution that works better. Could you ditch the nextel and just use the Treo? Kind of kills the whole convergence thing.
    Sure, I could, if I wanted my company to have a record of all my personal calls, when I made them, and for how long....nothing like leaving a job and having given out your work cell phone number to 47,000 people, hahaha...

PLEAAAASE help, I'm starting to think this can't be done...?

Thanks to all those who contributed ideas so far...
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    The trick here is you need to find a calendar app that DOESN'T use the built-in Palm calendar/contact database. I *think* DataViz's solution (Beyond Contacts?) uses it's own DB. But I'm grasping at straws here, so you may want to check their website for details. Still unsure of the Yahoo sync piece.
    Actually I just stumbled into a way into doing this. My company, long an exclusive Blackberry shop, just installed a GoodLink server because one very important bigshot wanted to use his Treo instead.

So I had them hook up my Treo, and voila, I achieve exactly what you want. Goodlink syncs the four standard db's with my work exchange server, and are visible on the Treo through Goodlink, and through Outlook on my work desktop. The native palm db's are still there on the Treo, and I can maintain through Palm Desktop on my home computer (but could use any pc pim that has palm conduits.)

When you install GoodLink it hides the palm apps, but you can remap them back to the original keys, and you have to do a few unpublished steps to get the sync to work right. (The goodlink contact db is stubborn, and the calendar really want to sync to Goodlink, but you can get all these to also do what you want with two simple steps.)

But after a little experimentaion, it's perfect. So if you're lucky enough to have a GoodLink server - that's your ticket.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc
    The trick here is you need to find a calendar app that DOESN'T use the built-in Palm calendar/contact database. I *think* DataViz's solution (Beyond Contacts?) uses it's own DB. But I'm grasping at straws here, so you may want to check their website for details. Still unsure of the Yahoo sync piece.
    And THAT, my friend, is the idea of the century.

I installed Beyond Contacts - it works like a charm. I LOVE it! I have my work contacts through Outlook in there, and my Yahoo stuff in the regular Datebook and Address Book. I've never EVER been so impressed.

And life...once again....is great. hahahah.

THANK YOU Minsc!!
    I have been using Beyond Contacts for 2 months now and love it. I know this does not address your Yahoo question specifically, but I use BC for both my Business and Personal calendar. Since it is written to be used and synced with Outlook, I simply check all personal appointments and reminders as personal, and then no one from work can see it. All nice and neat in one little package.

FYI: It does have it's own database, so I would imagine you could use BC for business and the default for Yahoo...though I don't use Yahoo to test it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dennisl
    When you install GoodLink it hides the palm apps, but you can remap them back to the original keys, and you have to do a few unpublished steps to get the sync to work right. (The goodlink contact db is stubborn, and the calendar really want to sync to Goodlink, but you can get all these to also do what you want with two simple steps.)

But after a little experimentaion, it's perfect. So if you're lucky enough to have a GoodLink server - that's your ticket.
    We are installing goodlink server but I still want to be able to synch with my home PC. How are you doing that? How did you map everything back?
    This may seem obvious "after" I install the client - but after the posts I've seen about it hijacking certain parts of your treo I'd love to know what I am in for...
    jumphrey
    FYI, there is a similar thread about this topic over at PIC that some may find useful...

Separating Work from Personal

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions