Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1.    #1  
    Ok, I've installed and been using Verichat for about 6 days. Its awesome, especially when used with the Treo 600 OEM keyboard.

    However, I was wondering, is Chatter better? And, are all Verichat's IMs being sent via SMS? (e.g., if I have PCS Vision, will I wind up paying per message at some point?)
    "I see dead pixels..."
  2. #2  
    The question - which is better. I have and registered both programs. They both accomplish the same task, but the approach is different. The interface is different. My favorite is Chatter. In addition to IM, it also is designed to handle IMAP email.

    Ben

    Quote Originally Posted by gamedeveloper
    Ok, I've installed and been using Verichat for about 6 days. Its awesome, especially when used with the Treo 600 OEM keyboard.

    However, I was wondering, is Chatter better? And, are all Verichat's IMs being sent via SMS? (e.g., if I have PCS Vision, will I wind up paying per message at some point?)
  3.    #3  
    Does Chatter have a subscription registration model as well? And is the interface for Chatter better than Verichat's?
    "I see dead pixels..."
  4. #4  
    It comes down to person preference... try both and then decide which you prefer.

    And no, chatter does not have a subscription. It's a one-time fee as far as I know. www.imchatter.com

    There are also other options out there such as Mundu IM or chatopus.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by gamedeveloper
    Ok, I've installed and been using Verichat for about 6 days. Its awesome, especially when used with the Treo 600 OEM keyboard.

    However, I was wondering, is Chatter better? And, are all Verichat's IMs being sent via SMS? (e.g., if I have PCS Vision, will I wind up paying per message at some point?)
    If you are not actively using verichat when someone sends you a message, it is sent to you via SMS. That is a big reason I initially switched to Chatter. I also prefer Chatter's method of aggregating IM aliases for specific people on different services into a single 'contact' screen. I have a number of friends who have AIM, Y!, and MSN. Chatter puts them all on one screen, under one contact.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee
    If you are not actively using verichat when someone sends you a message, it is sent to you via SMS. That is a big reason I initially switched to Chatter. I also prefer Chatter's method of aggregating IM aliases for specific people on different services into a single 'contact' screen. I have a number of friends who have AIM, Y!, and MSN. Chatter puts them all on one screen, under one contact.
    When using Verichat, how is the chat messages sent? Are they sent via SMS or data? How is it on Chatter? I am using Verichat at the moment.
  7. #7  
    Here's a link about Chatter:

    http://www.imchatter.com/chatteradditional.shtml

    Ben

    Quote Originally Posted by redcap
    When using Verichat, how is the chat messages sent? Are they sent via SMS or data? How is it on Chatter? I am using Verichat at the moment.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by redcap
    When using Verichat, how is the chat messages sent? Are they sent via SMS or data? How is it on Chatter? I am using Verichat at the moment.

    Verichat only uses sms when you are not actively running the client and are still logged on. For example, you sign on in Verichat and then exit w/o logging off, Vericaht is still running in the backround. Verichat still keeps you logged and when some one IM's you, Verichat's servers sends an sms alert to your Treo. This works well most of the time, but you have to rely on your wireless providers sms service which can be flacky...not to mention not everyone has unlimited sms...

    Chatter one the other hand also works in the backround, but does not rely on sms to alert of new messages. I'm not sure exactly, but I believe it constantly works in the backround connecting to the server via data connection. It's a much more sophisticated model than verichat b/c it merges IM and IMAP push into one app. Thus you get real time IM and email the same way...very neat app IMO. The other advantage for Chatter is the fact that there is only a ONE TIME purchase fee with no subscription requirement. Thus, unless you have the life-time subscription that PDAapps was offerring a while ago for Verichat (which I luckily have! ), Chatter is cheaper solution. But then again, many people prefer Verichat b/c of it more traditional and familiar IM format...
    _________________
    aka Gfunkmagic

    Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w



    Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

    Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  9. #9  
    I like Verichat but I have one complaint. It's not very good at keeping you logged into the IM Server. Chatter is better at that.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTreo
    I like Verichat but I have one complaint. It's not very good at keeping you logged into the IM Server. Chatter is better at that.
    Beg to differ. I find the opposite to be true. I get 12 hour onlines with Verichat, never more than 3 or 4 with Chatter. I love Chatters interface and functions, and wish it had Verichats reliability (Well, before Version 2)
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Verichat only uses sms when you are not actively running the client and are still logged on. For example, you sign on in Verichat and then exit w/o logging off, Vericaht is still running in the backround. Verichat still keeps you logged and when some one IM's you, Verichat's servers sends an sms alert to your Treo. This works well most of the time, but you have to rely on your wireless providers sms service which can be flacky...not to mention not everyone has unlimited sms...
    Thanks for the info. I have unlimited data but pay per use on SMS (both sending and receiving). When I first logged onto Verichat, I didn't give my phone SMS address. I entered in a regular email address which is forward to my Blackberry. Once I was hooked on playing Verichat for a few minutes, I turned off the application because I wasn't sure if it was running via data GPRS or SMS. I didn't want to pay 0.15 per SMS.

    Another question, I get this message "not logged onto the server" when logging onto Verichat. But a few seconds later, I get my online screen. Do you or anyone else experience this?
  12. #12  
    I just downloaded MunduIM and it is working beautifully... I got www.pigletim.com to load in blazer and log in to MSN IM and showed me the buddy list. I thought it was working but alas no way to go past there. Must be some Java code involved somewhere...

    Glen

Posting Permissions