1.    #1  
    I received my first Treo 600 back early January. In the last few weeks, the phone, even with full signal strength would drop my call within 4 seconds, and give me a Network Search.... error. It even would lock the device up occasionally.

I took it in to Sprint, and the rep said "It failed on the HP". Which, I guess, is some test equipment they use. So, they ordered me a replacement.

3 days later, I got a new unit. They said it was a refurb, but holding both units in both hands, and even letting a friend hold both, we both agreed the new unit was much lighter than my original one!

Also, it still has the Handspring logo on it, not the PalmOne logo that some of the newer Treos have.

The camera is the same quality..

Don't have the original phone s/w info, but the new phone reads:

Sw: Treo600-1.10-SPR
    Hardware: B

Just thought I share.

-ronstoney
    It must be that the new 1.1-SPR firmware is lighter. If that's not the case, then you got a lighter weight battery which won't last the full 4.5 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by ronstoney
    I received my first Treo 600 back early January. In the last few weeks, the phone, even with full signal strength would drop my call within 4 seconds, and give me a Network Search.... error. It even would lock the device up occasionally.

I took it in to Sprint, and the rep said "It failed on the HP". Which, I guess, is some test equipment they use. So, they ordered me a replacement.

3 days later, I got a new unit. They said it was a refurb, but holding both units in both hands, and even letting a friend hold both, we both agreed the new unit was much lighter than my original one!

Also, it still has the Handspring logo on it, not the PalmOne logo that some of the newer Treos have.

The camera is the same quality..

Don't have the original phone s/w info, but the new phone reads:

Sw: Treo600-1.10-SPR
    Hardware: B

Just thought I share.

-ronstoney
    Nah, rumor has it they removed the phone module since it was causing so many returns.
    I just got my third Treo. While I didn't notice it being any lighter, this one came brand-new (yay, another ac adapater!), palmone-branded and so far has been good. I even ran the battery down in anticipation of Network Search... All good.
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    I just received a brand new PalmOne branded Treo 600.

Haven't noticed a weight change and so far so good. In fact, the camera has 0 blue spots in a couple of low light tests I've done.

Cheers!
    Dune, why have you returned multiple times? Was it through Sprint? If so, what's the best way to return a Sprint phone - go directly to a PCS store or over the phone? What do they check for when you return a phone?
    I need to get my $4.00 a month working for me! Thanks in advance.
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mort
    Dune, why have you returned multiple times? Was it through Sprint? If so, what's the best way to return a Sprint phone - go directly to a PCS store or over the phone? What do they check for when you return a phone?
    I need to get my $4.00 a month working for me! Thanks in advance.
    While I can't answer for Dune (he's a friend), I too have returned twice (am on my third) and always at the SPCS Store. Both times I have received a brand new unit.

The first time I returned was in November 2003, since the Treo 600 was a month old, I received a new one.

The second time I returned one (last Saturday with delivery Monday) was due to a speaker problem. If I unplugged the handsfree earpiece, the phone would think it was still connected, and no sound would come out of the earpiece (on the Treo) and the speakerphone did not work. I also had no sounds. After a hard rest, and battery disconnect, no joy.

I explained this to the person at the SPCS store and she was okay with it and offered a replacement on the spot...a refurb replacement.

I told her, I was uncomfortable with a refurbished unit, as they had been returned and may have other issues. In other words, they may have "fixed" whatever it was returned for, but something new would be busted. She checked with the manager and told me to come back on Monday when they had a new shipment. I called, she said come in...and that was it. Total store time (Saturday and Monday, less than an hour).

As for what they wanted, she just wanted the phone. I received a new box, new AC charger, earbud (worthless), case and she let me keep the original stylus. I told her to keep the instruction book and CD.

All in all, quite easy. I was, however insistent on NOT getting a refurb.

Good luck.