1.    #1  
    In Zlauncher, when you're viewing the contents of the SD card (in the "regular" view and not in the file manager view), is there a way to change the settings so it will only display application files/icons? This would be the equivalent of what Palm OS does when you go to the "Card" view. I've been all through the preferences and don't see a setting like this. Zlauncher shows all of the database icons along with the application icons, so I'm constantly having to scroll through icons I don't need to see in order to look for my applications.

I know I can hide these files, but I really don't want to do that because I'll forget about them. I'd rather just change the viewing options, if possible. Thanks
    Hey Sparky - I'm still a novice with my SD card, but when I've been moving files, I just put the database icons in a different folder. I had to reorganize the way it did the folder structure, so it looks alot like ZLauncher in a way... I have a folder for APPS, GAMES, AUDIO, WORK, etc... You can make one for Database Icons - then they'll be together and out of the way. There should be a way to change the viewing options or hide them, but then again, if you do that, you might forget about them. Good luck!
    Sparky76, if you want to run apps from the card then use "Move to Card" command in ZLauncher. This will move that app and its databases to the card (in their own folder) and keep the icon in the same category/tab, where it belongs.

I dont remember the default setup but on mine I can just tap & hold on an icon for a second to get a context menu where "Move to Card" is.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    Yeah - thats true. As opposed to using the "menu - file manager" to move files, you can just hold your stylus on an icon and use the "move to card" option. Only thing is that it won't let me choose the exact folder on the card I want to put it in. It goes to a default, then I have to go to the card and move it again. Do you guys find this issue also? It wants to put it in /Palm/Launcher/. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wcraymond
    Yeah - thats true. As opposed to using the "menu - file manager" to move files, you can just hold your stylus on an icon and use the "move to card" option. Only thing is that it won't let me choose the exact folder on the card I want to put it in. It goes to a default, then I have to go to the card and move it again. Do you guys find this issue also? It wants to put it in /Palm/Launcher/. Thanks
    Strange
    My ZLauncher puts files in Palm/Programs/ZLauncher/Apps/<program name>
    when I choose to Move To Card.
    GSM Treo 600 with Cingular
    New Avatar caused by:This Post
  6.    #6  
    FYI, I am already running apps from the card; I just don't like the "disorganized" way all the icons appear in zlauncher. Rather than running apps on the card from Zlauncher, I end up going back to the Palm application launcher to run programs from my card.

Re wcraymond's point, by database icons, I mean the pdb files that are part of a software program, with the prc file being the application file. If I move the pdb file to a different folder from the prc, I don't think the application would work properly.

Here's an example: I installed an application called Healthfile to my card. There is one prc file and about 20 pdb files. Whenever I go to "card" on zlauncher, I have to sort thru all of the various pdb files to find my application icons.

Maybe this isn't a huge problem in the grand scheme of things, but it's annoying in that it wastes time and is keeping me from using zlauncher exclusively, which I would like to do.
    You dont need to go to the card view to launch apps in /Palm/Launcher. They show up as icons in your Unfiled category by default. Re organize the icons however you like. If you cant find it try the All category.

The way I described will put apps and their databases in their own directory as MovieGene put it:
    /Palm/Programs/ZLauncher/Apps/<program name>

This can give you a more organized structure, plus you can easily move apps and databases to the card that dont nativly support it. Again, you dont have to go to card view to launch the apps, the icons are in the categories/tabs.

In reference to your Healthfile app, if its an app with very large databases (like a dictionary app would be), I would put the pdb's in /Palm/Launcher. If you use the ZLauncher (or even PowerRUN) method, it will copy ALL of the apps databases to RAM when you launch the app, then copy the changes back to the card when you exit. If an app is built specifically to handle large databases from the card, it can be more effecient by only accessing the files it needs, or even working directly from the card.
    Last edited by ThirdType; 04/28/2004 at 04:04 PM.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
  8.    #8  
    Thanks, I appreciate the input. When I install apps to the card, they just go to the card. Then I have to set up a shortcut, and it seems like the shortcuts either disappear or stop working after a short time, so I eventually just go back to launching the apps from the card. I must be doing something wrong, but still haven't figured out what it is yet.
    I think I know what the problem is.

First, dont "install apps to the card" as you say. Hotsync everything to RAM, unless they are huge and wont fit (see last paragraph in my previous post). Then move them with ZLauncher.

In ZLauncher hit menu -> ZL Preferences -> Advanced tab. Tap the "Dialog Setup" button. Uncheck "Hide Copy/Move Confirm Dialog". Hit OK twice.

Try moving an app to the card using "Move to Card". It should popup a dialog with options for Card, Path, etc. Set the Path to .../ZLauncher/Apps/ and other options as you see fit. Do NOT check "Always use these rules" if you want to see this dialog again. Hit OK and all should be good, hopefully.
  10.    #10  
    Thanks much, Thirdtype. That is a different process than I have been using. (I've been hotsynching the apps to the card and setting up shortcuts.) Will give it a try.
    Sparky, if I am understanding you correctly, everything on your card sounds like it is stored haphazardly. You've got a bunch of pdb files mixed with the prc files so you must search to find the app you want to launch.

This is easily fixable.

While using ZLauncher....as others have stated to you, tap & hold the stylus on the app you want to move to the card. By default they go to Palm/Launcher. You can create whatever folders on the card that you like, but instead of doing the move to "card" use the option that just says "move to".....hence no card. Move to allows you to select the destination you want that particular app and its associated databases to go.

So initially, if you wanted to move Healthfile, you'd tap & hold, select move to....the card will open up and allow you to create a folder called Healthfile....move everything to the Healthfile folder. But your not done yet. The prc file in the Healthfile folder, again tap and hold....then use the "create shortcut." This will place the shortcut on your Treo/Palm removing the need for you to have to go into the card to launch anything.

Do it like that for anything you want to store on the card.
    Give the app its own folder, do a shortcut and you'll be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by sparky76
    FYI, I am already running apps from the card; I just don't like the "disorganized" way all the icons appear in zlauncher. Rather than running apps on the card from Zlauncher, I end up going back to the Palm application launcher to run programs from my card.

Re wcraymond's point, by database icons, I mean the pdb files that are part of a software program, with the prc file being the application file. If I move the pdb file to a different folder from the prc, I don't think the application would work properly.

Here's an example: I installed an application called Healthfile to my card. There is one prc file and about 20 pdb files. Whenever I go to "card" on zlauncher, I have to sort thru all of the various pdb files to find my application icons.

Maybe this isn't a huge problem in the grand scheme of things, but it's annoying in that it wastes time and is keeping me from using zlauncher exclusively, which I would like to do.
    ~ ScandaLous ~