Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This was posted on Sprintpcsinfo.com.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sprint To Not Pickup Treo 610?

The latest buzz about the Treo community is from a market analyst, who let slip that PalmOne was actively preparing to release the Treo 610. What's more is that he said it would launch on Verizon.

Now, this may not be a big suprise. Verizon even let slip on their web site that the Treo 600 was "coming soon" to their network, but quickly removed it. This opens two possibilities, the first is that Sprint continues to sell the Treo 600, while Verizon sells the Treo 610. Or, Sprint liquidates the remaining Treo 600 CDMA supply and then picks up the 610 when the supply is depleted.

We're inclined to believe the Sprint will sell off the CDMA 600, and then pickup the 610, either that or Sprint will pick up the 610 the same time Verizon does. Sprint has been the primary pusher of the Treo in the U.S., and while PalmOne wants to be open to all carriers, they have no plans to put relations with Sprint at-risk by sticking Sprint with a lesser model (at least, we hope they don't).

The Treo 610 is a minor revision to the Treo 600, tenative specifications call for a higher-resolution display as well as the implementation of Bluetooth, and more built-in RAM.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks

IGO
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    I still find it amazing that the source for all this speculation is a single page on a disreputable site.
    I dunno, if that's all the T610 has to offer, I think I will pass. The unreleased Samsung i550 looks like a much better product IMHO. Course, one would have to take a test drive when the time comes.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    KRam - it shows you how desperate people are for a new, better Treo... They cling to any new info they can get. This is getting as bad, or worse than new apple product rumors!
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom
    I dunno, if that's all the T610 has to offer, I think I will pass. The unreleased Samsung i550 looks like a much better product IMHO. Course, one would have to take a test drive when the time comes.
    I agree that the Samsung I550 is interesting (having come to the Treo from an I330) however, I am now hopelessly hooked on the keyboard and don't think I could do without it.
    Charles

Kyocera 6035-->Samsung I-300-->Samsung I-330-->Treo 600-->Sprint Treo 650-->Cingular Treo 650-->AT&T Treo 680-->AT&T Crimson Treo 680-->AT&T Black Centro-->AT&T Copper Treo 680-->iPhone 3G 8GB-->iPhone 3GS 16GB-->HTC EVO 4G
    Here is what I have to say on the topic:
    http://www.tavisjohn.com/board-pics/...0-Animated.gif
    Palm III > Palm IIIC > Handera 330 > Kyocera 6035 & Sony NR70V > Treo 600 > Treo650 & Palm LifeDrive > Modded LifeDrive w/16gig CF > Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    honestly I would be happy with just the better screen
    Quote Originally Posted by miradu
    KRam - it shows you how desperate people are for a new, better Treo... They cling to any new info they can get. This is getting as bad, or worse than new apple product rumors!
    Is that some sort of crime? "Desperate" is a little strong, people will want and seek out whatever they please. And I want better features, plain and simple, be it a Treo or another model. It's not like someone else will be financing the new phone.

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by chazglenn3
    I agree that the Samsung I550 is interesting (having come to the Treo from an I330) however, I am now hopelessly hooked on the keyboard and don't think I could do without it.
    I agree not having a keyboard would be a bummer and would definately be an adjustment. To offset this compromise for me would be a flash on the camera. I owned the Samsung A600 with flash and zoom before the Treo and having a flash makes for ideal photo's be it inside or outside shots. And taking photos is one area that I think is weak with the Treo.

Bottom line, it's what you really use the Treo for, if it is even worth trading it for another model. And that is definately an individual decision.

K-etc is a treocentral staff member; he probably read the article.

=====

The article about the TREO 610 is silly; it shouldn't exist since it simply perpetuates the rumor. "The rumor" literally is ONE mention that has been "reported" everywhere - a-GAIN!
    Looks to me like they continue to originate from a single source.

The initial bull**** rumor was based off a single "for sale" page - nothing more. That one faded away.

The "current" rumor is based off of ONE article that quotes an "analyst".

The TreoCentral article rehashes both but provides nothing - nothing - new.

One page.

Groundless.

====

Addendum added later:

The TreoCentral article repeats the statement:

== "...Analysts are routinely given information about upcoming
    == products before it is available to the public..."

Please note that this would be a gross violation of the law due to Reg FD - the Full Disclosure law that was enacted years ago. So if that "analyst" ==actually== had some real information, PalmOne would have been engaged in criminal conduct.

Don't believe the Me-Too Media - they get it wrong SO often that it isn't even funny.
    Last edited by SeldomVisitor; 04/28/2004 at 07:20 AM.

I find myself in the unusual circumstance of agreeing with SeldomVisitor. Everything seems to relate back to the original rumor-laden BargainPDA.com article. A close reading of the latest gospel handed down from the blessed analyst indicates that his information also stems from the original hoax.

Does anyone remember a few years back when Pierre Salinger, Kennedy's press secretary, produced "proof" that TWA 800 was shot down by friendly fire? He later recanted; it seems he had found some site on the internet that pushed this theory, and ol' Pierre didn't understand that anyone can post on the net. I sense a similar situation here. I suspect the analyst in question stumbled upon the BargainPDA page, and assumed it was reliable.

Now, sooner or later, PalmOne is going to announce a replacement for our beloved Treo600's. By that point, none of us will believe them. They'll have to ship me one to prove that they have really come up with a new model.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom
    I agree not having a keyboard would be a bummer and would definately be an adjustment. To offset this compromise for me would be a flash on the camera. I owned the Samsung A600 with flash and zoom before the Treo and having a flash makes for ideal photo's be it inside or outside shots. And taking photos is one area that I think is weak with the Treo.

Bottom line, it's what you really use the Treo for, if it is even worth trading it for another model. And that is definately an individual decision.
    I don't get the whole camera craze... yeah it's a neat thing and I even use it but only cause it's there... not sure why everyone has become a photographer... anyway like you said, an individuals decision.

I personally would like voice dialing, voice recorder, auto time adjust, a better phonebook, and faster data connection before a better camera or bluetooth...
    My $99 nokia has those features already

Just my $600 opinion.
    Jim
    > ...Now, sooner or later, PalmOne is going to announce a
    > replacement for our beloved Treo600's. By that point, none
    > of us will believe them. They'll have to ship me one to prove
    > that they have really come up with a new model.

JUSTAMINUTETHERE!

Are you saying you don't believe in the TREO 600!?

Giggle.
    Of course I believe in the 600, just not the 610 (yet). Now, the question is, SV, do I believe in you?
    Ommmmm...navel contemplation time.

(BTW - the "JUSTAMIN..." message WAS a joke based off the shipping delays of the 600...)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimHoboken
    I don't get the whole camera craze... yeah it's a neat thing and I even use it but only cause it's there... not sure why everyone has become a photographer... anyway like you said, an individuals decision.

I personally would like voice dialing, voice recorder, auto time adjust, a better phonebook, and faster data connection before a better camera or bluetooth...
    My $99 nokia has those features already

Just my $600 opinion.
    Jim
    Why do you assume that folks who use the cameras on their phones weren't taking pics long before the concept of camera phones were even born. There is no craze here, I have been taking pics since before college and now with a large family, a cameraphone is a very useful and fun tool to me because you always have the phone on you. Vs. having to dig out the digicam if it is at hand at all (which I own as well). And if one is of the mind to purchase a premium phone, it makes sense that it is a camera phone as well.

BTW, those other features you mentioned would be nice, although I don't see it happening, not all on a smartphone.

Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    The 610 rumors have to be true, because I just bought my 600 at the end of March. I waited several months for a 320x320 screen, but finally gave in and could wait no more. I knew as soon as I bought the 600, a newer model would be announced . . . so everyone can thank me!

I seem to have the same effect when dealing with the stock market!
    I just bought mine too... don't sweat it, technology is never an investment...
    How much stuff have we all bought that's not worth jack now.

I'd rather not think about it.

I'm waiting for the new Treo 850.
    Let me clarify a few of my statements... Yes the article was a rehash of all the rumors around - I was trying to clear up what I saw as confusion and people who were getting their hopes up for something that wasn't realistic.

The only source for the technical details of the 610 rumor is BargainPDA. I DO NOT have any new sources directly relating info to a Treo 610. However, as this was a commentary article, I did speculate a bit on what I think would be much more reasonable - and I think I shared most of my logic with you all. I did not mean to confuse anybody.

The reason that this whole 610 thing came up again was because of that analyst report - all that report did is give creidbility to the 610 name, and nothing more.

I think you have the gist of everything best Seldom - we don't know too much (other than I know for a fact that bargainpda is dead wrong on the screen as I explained in the article (or maybe I didn't put it directly enough: There will be no highres Treo until late summer/fall.. I am very very certain on this)), we're rehashing stuff - but in terms of being a somewhat competitive Treo site, with all the other pda websites reporting something we had to also throw in our word. About the analyst info - the reason I quoted brighthand about this is becuase I know nothing about the stock market, and I don't try to pretend to. However I would not underestimate what stock researchers can find out - people do leak things.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast