Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1.    #1  
    Hi, I am new to the Mac world, and I just got a brand new iBook (I am falling in love with it BTW!). Anyways...I wanted to check out the WirelessModem app that Scott Grudby (sp) wrote for Mac's (and Windows) computers. I got the connection work...but I am not sure how you go about actually "installing" the program onto your Mac machine! I ran the .dmg file that you can download from the www.notifymail.com website, which created some sort of weird "disc" on my desktop. When I double clicked the disc, it opens Finder and you can then click on the "WirelessModem" app to start the program. The First time you run the program, you have to enter your administrator password (for you Mac machine) to let the app run....at least, the instructions say you should only have to type in the password the first time. But no matter how many times I run it, I always have to type in my admin password...which is a little weird. I tried copying all the contents of this "drive" over to a folder in my Applications folder on my Mac Hard Drive...but I still have the same issue, i.e., must type password every time the software loads. Is this normal?

    Thanks for the help!
    -e
    Last edited by zoomer777; 04/27/2004 at 10:53 AM.
  2.    #2  
    As a note...I actually could not get the Network Pref's in Mac OS 10.3 to recognize the "WirelessModem" until I copied the contents of the mounted virtual drive image (.dmg file that I downloaded) to somewhere on the Mac Hard Drive. I still however have to type in my admin password on every load!
  3. #3  
    The WirelessModem is an app that you drag to your disc. Every time you plan to use WirelesModem and your Treo, you need to launch the app. Yes, it does ask for your admin p/w (no biggie). If the app is not running, then your Mac will not see the Treo and it will not show up as a network option for internet connect.

    FWIW, read his instructions carefully TWICE and follow them to the letter.
  4.    #4  
    I did read his instructions to the letter...and more than twice!

    He says:

    5. Launch WirelessModem on your Mac. The first time you run it, you will be asked to enter your password.

    To me, that says it should only happen the first time it is run!
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by zoomer777
    I did read his instructions to the letter...and more than twice!

    He says:

    5. Launch WirelessModem on your Mac. The first time you run it, you will be asked to enter your password.

    To me, that says it should only happen the first time it is run!
    You missed step 2:

    "Copy the files to your hard drive"

    If you don't do this, WirelessModem will NOT work as it changes permissions on various components inside of the application after you enter your password. If you do not copy it to your hard drive, then it cannot make the changes.
  6. #6  
    Thanks, Scott for jumping in here...and thanks for a great app.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by sgruby
    You missed step 2:

    "Copy the files to your hard drive"

    If you don't do this, WirelessModem will NOT work as it changes permissions on various components inside of the application after you enter your password. If you do not copy it to your hard drive, then it cannot make the changes.
    Thanks for the post Scott...however in my quick follow post, I verified this! You are right, it didn't work right, i.e., the system did not recognize the "WirelessModem" at all, until I properly moved all the files to the Mac Hard Drive. My problem now is that I still have to enter my password in (password for my admin account on my iBook) every time I load up the WirelessModem software on the Mac! I didn't know if this is normal, or if I should have only expected to enter the pass on the first run of the software only.

    ??
  8. #8  
    Welcome, Zoomer, to the wonderful world of Mac! I hope WM works out for you, but I am sure the rest of your life will be MUCH more pleasant than it was back in Windows world..
    Cheers,
    -mbd26
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by zoomer777
    Thanks for the post Scott...however in my quick follow post, I verified this! You are right, it didn't work right, i.e., the system did not recognize the "WirelessModem" at all, until I properly moved all the files to the Mac Hard Drive. My problem now is that I still have to enter my password in (password for my admin account on my iBook) every time I load up the WirelessModem software on the Mac! I didn't know if this is normal, or if I should have only expected to enter the pass on the first run of the software only.

    ??
    If you are not using an admin account, you may have issues. Something may appear on the Console that tells you the problem. If you have to keep entering your password, then there is something wrong and WirelessModem will not show up in System Preferences.
  10. owenbg's Avatar
    Posts
    44 Posts
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    #10  
    Hi..This is for scott. I downloaded a demo of wireless modem many months ago to try on my treo 270. I could never get it to work. I just got a treo 600 and I wanted to have a go with it again, and see if I could be more successful this time. When I installed it on my treo 600, it said demo expired(I guess from the 270 time). Is there any way I could try the demo on my 600 now? Thanks in advance. Owen
  11. #11  
    Hello, I am also having the same problem as zomer77. Did you get it to work?
  12.    #12  
    I can get it to work, I just have to enter the OS's system password every time I open the thing...just annoying really!
  13. #13  
    OK I followed the instructions to the t. I dragged the dmg file to the mac hd and still cannot get the wireless modem recognized in preferences.
    Is there a specific spot on the HD I must drag it to?
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by owenbg
    Hi..This is for scott. I downloaded a demo of wireless modem many months ago to try on my treo 270. I could never get it to work. I just got a treo 600 and I wanted to have a go with it again, and see if I could be more successful this time. When I installed it on my treo 600, it said demo expired(I guess from the 270 time). Is there any way I could try the demo on my 600 now? Thanks in advance. Owen
    For Scott. I couldn't get Wireless Modem to work on my 600. Couldn't get "Wireles Modem" to show up in Network Port Configurations. As with Owen, the test period ran out before I could figure it out. Plus, Sprint is the only carrier mentioned in the instructions. I am on T-Mobile. I would like to buy the software if I knew for sure it worked with T-Mobile. And had instrutions on how to get it to work. Please e me, allenkay@mac.com. Thanks, Allen
  15. #15  
    Oertkid, dragging the .dmg to the desktop is not the same as dragging the program OUT OF the dmg onto the hard disk (or desktop). In the former case, the program still remains part of the dmg, which is a different disk (albeit a disk-image) than your hard disk.

    You have to double-click the dmg to get it mounted as a virtual disk. Then you copy the app from that virtual disk to your hard disk.
  16. #16  
    do you guys know if the app can support AT&T wireless yet on the mac? I've never got it working on my Ti12 powerbook. I was told it wouldn't work with AT&T.

    Any ideas?
    Tony Ricciardi
    Owner
    www.MacSupport.com
  17. #17  
    To use on WM on T-Mo you'll need the CID1 modem script. I just got it working today! Slow, but effective.

    Go to: http://www.taniwha.org.uk/
  18. owenbg's Avatar
    Posts
    44 Posts
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    #18  
    Thanks for the info.. I went to that site but there seems to be so many scripts there and none reference the treo 600. Thanks..

Posting Permissions