Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33
  1.    #1  
    Hi;

    I've put togeather a little utility to enable tethered mode without having to dial to silly number. You can grab it via;

    http://butterfeet.org/wireless-modem.prc

    The GPL'd source is available via

    http://butterfeet.org/treo600-wireless-modem-0.1.tar.gz

    It should be able to set up tethering on the IR port as well, though I havn't been able to test this. Also I've only so far used it on a GSM ( Orange ) phone.

    Lemme know of any problems, this is my first palm app so dont expect anything amazing.... YMMV.
  2. #2  
    That's a great little application! Thanks for making it. Question tho...How can I setup a Windows machine to use it? I used to have a Kyo 7135 and there was a d/l'able driver for it that worked flawlessly. Without using PDAnet, is it possible to put the phone in Tethered mode and then use it as a USB modem? Thanks!
  3. #3  
    Can I use this to make a CSD internet connection? If so, how? I could never get PDAnet to make a CSD connection successfully (although I didn't spend much time or effort).
  4. #4  
    "Device Not Supported" when I run it on my Treo600...
  5.    #5  
    Can you give me any more infomation about your treo ? - eg what network your on, firmware etc ?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by 02flhrci
    I used to have a Kyo 7135 and there was a d/l'able driver for it that worked flawlessly. Without using PDAnet, is it possible to put the phone in Tethered mode and then use it as a USB modem? Thanks!
    I guess you'd have to find a driver for the window side of things to speak to the treo usb like it was a modem. Id be interested to know if you find anything.

    I mainly use Linux, which already has a driver to this ( thus my writing this app in the first place ).
  7. #7  
    Cool app, I hope to download it as soon as I get my connection problem worked out. I can only keep my connection alive for ~30 seconds right now, and less if I put the treo under load. Could you possibly give any advice to the connection speed, flow control, line termination, and any extra ppp options you might be passing? I'm having heck figuring out what's dropping me. I can use pdanet ok, and the linux connection comes up and works great till I tax the connection a little. I'm using kernel 2.6.3-4 stock mandrake with an initrd patch for my dell laptop bios. I also don't have any problem synching this little guy under linux, so I'm hoping it's a connection option, or ppp option or something.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by mallum
    I guess you'd have to find a driver for the window side of things to speak to the treo usb like it was a modem. Id be interested to know if you find anything.

    I mainly use Linux, which already has a driver to this ( thus my writing this app in the first place ).


    I will keep my eyes and ears open for the driver. To be honest, once Snappermail 2.0 comes out it isn't going to be much of a priority for me, as IMAP email will be supported. That said, if I find something I will post it on this board.
  9. #9  
    Cool app... a hint , add Serial to list of devices. I know that you can dial ##TETHERED but clik to enable is better
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by mallum
    Hi;

    I've put togeather a little utility to enable tethered mode without having to dial to silly number. You can grab it via;

    http://butterfeet.org/wireless-modem.prc

    The GPL'd source is available via

    http://butterfeet.org/treo600-wireless-modem-0.1.tar.gz

    It should be able to set up tethering on the IR port as well, though I havn't been able to test this. Also I've only so far used it on a GSM ( Orange ) phone.

    Lemme know of any problems, this is my first palm app so dont expect anything amazing.... YMMV.
    Would you mind changing the name of the app? I've been using the name WirelessModem for my product for about 1.5 years.

    Thanks.
  11. #11  
    You might consider trademarking that name if you wish to enforce that, especially if someone with some deep pockets decides to use it. However your request was amicable, and I agree that a different name, such as TreoTether might be more appropriate and lead to less confusion.

    This app appears to be named like I name the tools I write for myself, just the first thing that pops into my head .
  12.    #12  
    Yeah Im looking forward to snappermail SSL Imap too, pity its gonna be soooo expensive.

    For now I've installed 'hastymail' webmail on my server which adapts its interface for PDAs ( its knows about blazer ) and it works ok.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by sgruby
    Would you mind changing the name of the app? I've been using the name WirelessModem for my product for about 1.5 years.

    Thanks.
    Sure for the next release I'll change the name. It was originally called TreoTether btw, but I didn't like that as it made little sense to most people. Any other suggestions welcome....
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by reimer
    Cool app... a hint , add Serial to list of devices. I know that you can dial ##TETHERED but clik to enable is better
    Hmm, does serial not work the same if USB is selected ?
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by vmlinux
    Cool app, I hope to download it as soon as I get my connection problem worked out. I can only keep my connection alive for ~30 seconds right now, and less if I put the treo under load. Could you possibly give any advice to the connection speed, flow control, line termination, and any extra ppp options you might be passing? I'm having heck figuring out what's dropping me. I can use pdanet ok, and the linux connection comes up and works great till I tax the connection a little. I'm using kernel 2.6.3-4 stock mandrake with an initrd patch for my dell laptop bios. I also don't have any problem synching this little guy under linux, so I'm hoping it's a connection option, or ppp option or something.
    I dont remember setting up anything special for my ppp stuff - I'll take a look.

    Also you may be interested in a couple of quick Linux things I put togeather for the treo;

    http://freedesktop.org/~mallum/treo-grab-imgs.c - copies the camera images from the treo to current directory.

    http://freedesktop.org/~mallum/treo-grab-calls.c - copies the call logs and prints em to stdout as csv style data

    You'll need the pilot-link libs installed to build the above.
  16. #16  
    You are right!

    Well now you can change selector to "USB or Serial", more intuitive
  17. #17  
    Under windows you can probably use the freely available IR-COM driver do use it over IR as explained in the WModem FAQ.

    I'm not sure this will work, but it might be a direction to look for using the treo as an IR modem.

    -Rob
  18. #18  
    Looks great. Thanks for putting it out as Free Software!

    One quickie though: Are there usbserial drivers that can be compiled for Mac OS X? Something other then SGruby's driver.
    Last edited by chrisfoster; 04/30/2004 at 02:29 PM.
    -- Go Illini!
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveKillion
    "Device Not Supported" when I run it on my Treo600...
    I'm getting the exact same error. My Treo is on SPCS and running 1.1. Any ideas? It'd be so great to hook up my T6 to my lovely PowerBook
    Truth is good, knowledge is power and it's the second mouse who gets the cheese
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by ivyrose
    I'm getting the exact same error. My Treo is on SPCS and running 1.1. Any ideas? It'd be so great to hook up my T6 to my lovely PowerBook
    Maybe its something todo with non-gsm phones ( SPCS is not gsm right? ).
    Anyway I think I have an idea of how to fix this - when I get a mo I'll update the code and get something out for people to test.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions