Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Welp, I'm pretty much bummed. I've done everything I can think of with connection strings and every time I start downloading anything signifigant I'm disconnected after <10 seconds. I can surf the web for a while then it disconnects me if I hit a decent sized picture. The problem is happening under windows and linux, as well as using pdanet and wirelessmodem as well. I'm beginning to think my treo is having a problem because I used to be able to stay connected through pdanet for hours and download a 1mb file with no problem.

I'm not even sure how to begin troubleshooting this. Does anyone have any ideas?

It seems like I only get disconnected when the bandwidth starts getting hit hard. Does anyone know how to throttle the speed so my machine will only send at a certain pace? I tried setting my software connection rate to 14.4 but it didn't to affect the download at all.

The ability to connect my laptop, even at a slow speed reliably to the internet was awesome for schoolwork/research on the go.
    Quote Originally Posted by mallum
    Sure for the next release I'll change the name. It was originally called TreoTether btw, but I didn't like that as it made little sense to most people. Any other suggestions welcome....
    Thanks, I appreciate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by vmlinux
    You might consider trademarking that name if you wish to enforce that, especially if someone with some deep pockets decides to use it. However your request was amicable, and I agree that a different name, such as TreoTether might be more appropriate and lead to less confusion.

This app appears to be named like I name the tools I write for myself, just the first thing that pops into my head .
    Unfortunately trademarking a name is a lengthy and costly thing to do. I tried years ago to trademark NotifyMail and there were a few other marks that were similar and the Patent and Trademark Office declined my application. It isn't worth the headache because even if I got the trademark, I'd have to spend time and money defending it otherwise I'd lose the mark.

Yes, I name all my products with very simple names, i.e. NotifyMail (notifies you of new mail), TreoTools (tools for the Treo), WirelessModem, RandomAlarms (creates random alarms), etc. Not very creative, but they work.
    sorry to be a noob but what is tethered mode???
    Quote Originally Posted by vmlinux
    Welp, I'm pretty much bummed. I've done everything I can think of with connection strings and every time I start downloading anything signifigant I'm disconnected after <10 seconds. I can surf the web for a while then it disconnects me if I hit a decent sized picture. The problem is happening under windows and linux, as well as using pdanet and wirelessmodem as well. I'm beginning to think my treo is having a problem because I used to be able to stay connected through pdanet for hours and download a 1mb file with no problem.
    Were you ever able to figure out what was giving you this problem? I am experiencing the same difficulties. Any help would be appreciated.

-Acha
    Nope, never did. I'm forced to use windows with pdanet as my solution. It still disconnects, but pdanet lets me reconnect with a button vs under linux I have to reboot the whole damn phone to get it out of tethered mode, then put it back into tethered mode. I think they changed something on the towers or something, because it used to work fantastic. I had a connection up for like two hours downloading stuff from a newsgroup. Now I can't download half a meg before it disconnects me. I wish I knew more about troubleshooting ppp connections, because it's only when I hit the bandwidth hard for more than ten seconds that it drops me, so surfing web pages I'm usually ok.
    yep, im still not knowin what tethered mode is
    Tethered mode basically means you put a code into your treo, and it will act as if it is an external modem. You can send modem commands to it, and it will respond in turn. You can also establish a ppp connection to it, and surf the web from your computer rather from the small treo unit.

to enable this mode manually you can type in ##TETHERED (the corresponding phone numbers, not on your treo's keyboard.)
    This is handy. It reports some unusual errors if the data network is already in use, or if the wireless mode is not active. Other that that, I have one simple question:

The connection works fine as long as I click a button on the treo 600 every minute to keep it running. How do you disable the auto-power-off behavior?
    maybe use STOIC (stay on in cradle) or something similiar?
    Does anyone still have a copy of this? The original site doesn't seem to have it anymore.

Edit: nevermind, I found it. http://www.tuanphan.net/projects/palm/
    Those links are dead. Can anyone pass the app on to me, or provide a link?

Update: Found it. Thank you wayback machine.

Update 2: Darn "Device not supported" and the wayback machine didn't keep a copy of the source code for me to muck with.
    Last edited by junxies; 06/17/2007 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Found file
    <bump>

This would be a cool little app if it could work on the 700 imo...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12