Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was using the Treo with wireless switched off during a flight from Frankfurt to Heathrow and was spotted by an air hostess. She told me that I had to switch it off as they had be told that passangers are not allowed to use smart phones in "flight mode". You can only imagine the confusion when I told her that I would happily switch it off only there is no off button.
    Confused she left and brought back a senior flight attendent to explained to me that they had been given instructions... So again I explained that there was no off button, the Palm Pilot is always on only the screen switches off, bemused he suggested I just put it in my bag.

This situation reminds me of thew time when CD's and lap-tops with CD's built in were not allowed to be switched on at any time during flight. I am sure that there are more lap-tops with active Bluetooth and wireless networking running that smartphone users forgetting to put their phone in "flight mode".
    I was in the hospital the other day, and I noticed a sign that said the hospital was cell phone friendly. When I asked about it, the answer was that all equipment in the hospital was either replaced or upgraded to be shielded from cell phone radiation. This meant that the risks involved with using cell phones is no longer a risk.

I remember also reading someplace that a company actually wants to put a mini cell tower inside an airplane. This would cause cell phones to get reception and not broadcast at full power. I wonder when this will become the norm so we don't have air "waitresses" that get to determine if a peice of common technology can bring down a jumbo jet.

C
    Controller-

Do you know the name of the company that wanted to put cell phone repeaters in a/c?
    Unfortunately the original and quite long post on Treos in flight is temporarily lost in limbo, until the TC folks can retrieve the data. Yes, the computer circuitry in your Treo continues to work if the radio is off. This is also true for your digital data-bank watch and any PDA. What you need to to is show them that Wireless is Off, and thus the radio is off. Most airlines seem to understand that.

With respect to hospitals, most modern equipment there is not sensitive to the radio output of cell phones unless you are using one right up next to a monitor or other like device. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $there$ $is$ $no$ $special$ $shielding$ $or$ $other$ $mods$ $made$ $to$ $this$ $equipment$. $Wireless$ $Doc$ $is$ $a$ $frequent$ $poster$ $with$ $lots$ $more$ $info$ $on$ $the$ $subject$.
    Hmmm, mini cell tower inside an airplane? Will there be any room left for passengers?

Quote Originally Posted by controller

I remember also reading someplace that a company actually wants to put a mini cell tower inside an airplane. This would cause cell phones to get reception and not broadcast at full power. I wonder when this will become the norm so we don't have air "waitresses" that get to determine if a peice of common technology can bring down a jumbo jet.

C
    It would be easier if we didn't have the stupid antenna. I was asked about my Treo twice in Asia and showing them the "Wireless Mode Off" screen satisfied the stewardesses in question. However, I suspect if we didn't have the antenna nobody would ever notice (I tried to hold my hand over the antenna, but I got tired of holding it that way and the next time through one of them spotted me).

Regards,
    --Mathew
    Quote Originally Posted by newtreouser
    mini cell tower inside an airplane?
    As discussed on Slashdot, an article on eWEEK about a project called WirelessCabin. A funny point raised in the Slashdot discussion is how a plane full of active cellphones could "light up" a huge swath of network on the ground. Amusing though this though may be, I'd be willing to bet it has occurred to the folks setting such a system up.

Indeed, most of this problem seems to be about systems being specifically set up to deal with a lot of wireless activity. In enironments like airplanes or hospitals, no one wants to even take a chance that cellphone use if going to cause a piece of equipment to fail. However, here is an article about a hospital that was set up specifically to deal with cellphone use and, even better, people at the hospital were given Treo 600s.
    At the TV Studio I work at, one of the sound engineers got confused when I was taking some shots of the set during a recording. She asked me to turn the phone off. When I explained I had etc, she got all excited and asked to have a play. Two minutes later she was taking shots of the studio and the talent on set!

Oli
    Is there now?
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    I think it's the antenna that causes the problem. I haven't been bugged yet, but after reading some posts here, I do one thing to help protect against being told to turn it off:

I always pull the stylus out when I use it on a plane. Even if I don't need to use it, I keep it in my mouth or hand, and pretend to use it when a flight attendant walks by. That way it looks more like a palm, and less like a phone.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    On a Southwest flight over the weekend I was told to turn off my T600 even after I showed her the "wireless mode is off". Although on other Southwest flights I didn't have a problem.
    Former Centro, Treo 700P, Treo 600, Tungsten T, M505 and PalmIII user...currently a Pre owner.
    Quote Originally Posted by jposin
    ... What you need to to is show them that Wireless is Off, and thus the radio is off. Most airlines seem to understand that.
    Not Monarch Scheduled (a UK airline), they specifically say in their announcements to not even use Flight Mode facility.

God knows why.
    I want the cell towers that they use in Jersey disguised as trees on my next flight.

C
    I had the same response from an air stewart on a British Airways flight from Madrid to London last Friday. His comment was that although that he knew that the phone mode was off, they had specific instructions not to allow the use of Treos during flights.

Now how turning just the screen off and putting it back in my briefcase would make things better, only BA knows !
    Yes, that is the bottom line. Whats the diff, with the phone off, if it is in your briefcase or in your hand? They would need to just ban treos from all airline flights period, and have the TSA folks confiscate them at the bag check..

There seems to be much confusion about this at the airlines. I use mine frequently on flights and have been told to put it away once
  16. dpk
    Quote Originally Posted by ACDriver
    Just an observation. I am much aquainted with the business end of airplanes....the very front.

You know the noise a TV will make sometimes when you are standing next to it and your phone rings? It makes the same noise in the communication headsets if one rings in the cockpit or for that matter a few feet back.

I had a Flight Attendants phone ring in the overhead two rows back in the airplane and I could hear it....not the bell...the zaagauuuhhhhrrgggghhh noise. But that was a Chinese phone so it probably didn't meet ANY FCC regulations.

Sooooooooooooo. It's probably not a bad idea to shut them off. Most crews I know have added to their personal checklists to ensure their phones are off.
    It seems like it is rather unwise to travel in a plane. They weren't designed to handle interference from handheld battery-powered devices. Who knows what someone with malicious intentions could do.

I'll stick to traveling by car/bus/train where I don't have to worry so much about mundane things such as the on/off status of my PDA..
    I have found that showing wireless mode off followed by showing the applications screen and stating that this is a "PalmPilot and a phone and the phone is turned off" works best. The one time I forgot to say the "PalmPilot" part and show the applications screen I was told in increasingly firm voices that I had to put it away, so I did (because I didn't want to continue to argue in an airplane at that point).

I also think that holding the stylus in your hand (even though you don't need it) increases the chances that they will understand what it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by mouseymousey
    Not Monarch Scheduled (a UK airline), they specifically say in their announcements to not even use Flight Mode facility.

God knows why.
    I think it's a combination of an ignorant, CUA attitude, and not trusting people to really keep wireless mode off in their smartphones if they were allowed to use them.
    There was some previous discussion and I posted this BC (before crash), but here is my two cents again. I work for an airline and fly a LOT.

My (so far) failproof method for using the Treo onboard is to get the attention of a flight attendant pre-flight and to politely let them know that my gizmo is both a phone and PDA and that I might be using the PDA with the radio off later in the flight (show them the wireless off mode). Most will tell you that the Treo looks like a cool little device, the rest will politely acknowledge you and walk away. This usually puts your surrounding seat-mates at ease also.

I don't recommend trying to conceal the antenna or your use of the Treo as this may raise suspicion by the crew and/or other passengers. The bottom line is be nice and they will, at worst, ignore you and leave you alone with your toy. Happy flying!
    "That's right Ice-man, I am dangerous"
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    They need to take the decision making aspect of flying away from the Flight Attendants. It usually comes down to the opinion of the particular one at the time which is not following the airlines guidelines. I'm actually even surprised that they go to the effort to bother people with smartphones, seeing as how they don't even bother to feed us on short flights anymore! If i get one that tells me to turn it off, even with wireless mode off, i tell them it's just a pda now, just like everybody else that's using a pda, and that if i have to turn it off then everyone else using a pda will need to turn theirs off. they usually figure it out then. They just need to educate them a little more (or a lot more), but then the unions would want higher salaries if they had to know more. it's a vicious cycle you see!
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast