Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I just completed a flight on American and the attendant, during her announcement, indicated that electronics devices should show "wireless mode off". Perhaps she's a Treo user.
    I had the same thing, well similar, about 6 years ago. I had a Rio MP3 player and the folks from Lufthansa insisted I switched it off!

I'm sure in a year or so, inflight staff will be better informed and allow the Treo , no questions asked. You can't really expect them to be on aware of all the new devices I guess.

cheers,
    Edwin.
  3.    #23  
    Personally I think that if the Treo did not have that stubby ariel most of the problems would not arise. Let's hope that afuture version can incorporate the ariel like so many other modern phones.
    I was recently on a Hawaiian flight and was told to 'turn' my treo off. When I showed that the wireless mode was off she said it has an antenna and therfore could transmit.

Sheesh.. I turned off the screen and continued to listed to the audio book I was listening too. She never came back..
    Hawaii, Ahhhh such memories!
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    I think alohafriday's idea is the best I've read so far. Let them know you have a PDA/phone right away. If you conceal it, they'll be curious and ask you to put it away.

I too find it both amusing and scary. If a palm pilot is such a big deal to the inner workings of a plane, what could someone with malicious intent do?

I also wonder if the new jumbo jets they are building today (the 500 seaters) are going to have the same problems or not?

Just my 2...
    With my work, I do a lot of flying a lot. What I do is pull out my folding Keyboard and use it to hold my Treo. I also have the stylus out and visible too. In over 35 plus plane flights in the last 6 months, I have not had one person question my Treo.

I also wonder if the new jumbo jets they are building today (the 500 seaters) are going to have the same problems or not?
    I read an article not long ago about a new airplane with a business class section that offered individual Plasma Screens with your own channel & movie selection, 3 power outlets, and WiFi for Internet access. They also hinted at Cell Phone coverage during flight, but were not able to get any confirmation on the subject.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Reading
    Personally I think that if the Treo did not have that stubby ariel most of the problems would not arise. Let's hope that afuture version can incorporate the ariel like so many other modern phones.
    I know that people have taken off their antenna for certain things like putting in and SDIO card that won't fit otherwise. But, has anyone taken it off for a flight? I've not taken mine off, but it seems as simple as taking off the rubber plug on the back of it and unscrewing the screw...now, providing you don't lose those parts, might that work better?
    I've been asked by flight attnds to turn it off before and once have shown it's wireless mode was off, that was fine. Another time (on Southwest) I did the same thing and it didn't matter.
    One thing that puzzles me on flights is that I never get bothered with my GPS antenna. I have it suction-cupped to the window with the cable plugged into my Garmin GPS III+. Looks nothing like a PDA. Some flight attds ask what it is. Once they've even gone to the cockpit to ask about it. I've never had to turn it off. I know it's just a receiver, but it still does transmit a small signal. Probably a stronger signal than my Treo in WirelessMode.
    I hope they get this figured out soon. Playing bejewelled just can't wait for the flight to end!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12