1.    #1  
    Hey guys,

I've been out of the elevator for 20 minutes now....and my phone still says "No Service" and I can't call out either.

I'm sitting at my desk now, where I usually get 4 bars of signal strength, but the LED is blinking yellow and I can't send or receive calls.

Why is it stuck like that? I either have to do a soft reset, or power cycle the wireless mode.

This is so humbug.........as I have to check my phone everytime I exit the elevator!

Stan
    <placeyouremail@here.com>....Relaying denied.
    IP name lookup failed [10.196.223.228]
    Clearly you should not have left the elevator.
  3. brf
    Mine does that every now and then. I'd just do a soft reset then turn the phone portion back on again.
    VisorPhone >>Treo 600 >>Black Palm Centro
    PacBell/Cingular/AT&T GSM
    Any errors in tact, fact or spelling
    are entirely due to transmission error
    I've never had this happen when in "no service", but sometimes when I've got a strong Roaming signal (usually after coming out of an elevator, coincidentally enough ) it takes some nudging (i.e. wireless mode off/on) to get back to SprintPCS service.

ericf

p.s. LOL snerdy!
    Yep, happened to me. T-Mobile says that sometimes after the phone has been in a no-signal area, it will not automatically check for a signal very often after coming back into a signal area (I think it has to do with saving battery life). I wonder if there is a bug in the Treo 600 that causes it not to check for signal again. There are other threads about this.
    This used to happen with my Treo 180. Cycling the wireless mode off/on usually did the trick. I haven't noticed the problem with the t600, but now I avoid elevators.
    I've had that happen with both of my Treos. I usually just hit the voicemail button once or twice to 'force' it to look for a signal.
  8.    #8  
    Right now, I exited the elevator 1 1/2 hours ago, and my T600 is still stuck on "No Service." The yellow light is blinking at me, and I usually get 4-bars of signal strength here.

I call my phone with my work cell, and the T600 rings (with the yellow light blinking). When I try to answer my T600 the phone immediately hangs up the call and says I missed one call. It still says "No Service" and the yellow light blinks.

I can call out no problem. It's just I can' receive a phone call when the phone is stuck in
    No Service!!!!"

I have to either soft-reset, or I have to power-cycle the phone. Now that is a major pain in the ****.

What a major flaw in their design!

Stan
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanward
    I exited the elevator 1 1/2 hours ago
    You have two choices: 1) use the stairs or 2) uninstall apps until you find the thing that's screwing up your Treo.

Other than that, your Treo could just be screwed up entirely (in which case a replacement should fix your problem) or there is somethign wacky about the cell that serves your office (which isn't all that likely, but there is just about zero you're gonna be able to do to fix a problem like that).

So there you go: your problem solved (or, at least, resolved) in three extraordinarily painful steps.
    Hey guys,

I've been out of the elevator for 20 minutes now....and my phone still says "No Service" and I can't call out either.

I'm sitting at my desk now, where I usually get 4 bars of signal strength, but the LED is blinking yellow and I can't send or receive calls.

Why is it stuck like that? I either have to do a soft reset, or power cycle the wireless mode.

This is so humbug.........as I have to check my phone everytime I exit the elevator!

Stan

I've read about the 'no service' problem on some other threads before and it has happened to me as well. Apparently due to some software bug on the Treo firmware - not sure how true this is. Anyway, mine is a GSM Treo600.

OK, here's the solution:

Download TreoHelper (search for it on this forum).
    TreoHelper will allow you to specify how many minutes you want 'no service' to go on for (ie. how long you want your phone to continue searching for a signal) before it automatically switches off the phone for you.
    TreoHelper will then automatically switch on your phone for you after x no. of minutes (configurable). You can also specify how many time you want it to try to connect to the network if the first attempt fails.

Try it.
    i got the GSM version of it and had exactly the same problem.
    Once it lost the signal it would just stay there and not reconnect. What i did was go into phone, options, select network and let it look for a network there. This is IMHO the fastest way to reconnect.
    If you want to get rid of the problem, upgrade the firmware. It did the trick for me. Now i always have signal, i even tested it by putting the phone in an iron pot in the microwave to make it loose it's sigal and a couple of seconds after i take it out it's flashing green again
    water created humans to carry it up hills
  12.    #12  
    1. I can't use the stairs, cuz it is all concrete inside and work in a high-rise building. The reception sucks more in the stairwell than in the elevator.

2. This problem ALWAYS happens to me whenever I go into an area that has "no service."

3. I soft reset, hard reset, battery-disconnect reset, still have the same problem!

4. I will get a handset exchange with PalmOne.......so I will now inherit someone else's problem, and someone else can inherit this crappy problem.

Stan
    don't hand it back in upgrade the firmware. There are a dozen treads about this on this forum and it solves your issues.
    I think it'll be better to stick with your own treo since you know what happened to it.
  14.    #14  
    I got the 3.04 updater, aka Crow1.12.

I installed it and ran the updater. I didn't create a new profile. When the updater was done, I re-synced my software/profile and the updater ran again!!!!

I'm sitting here staring at the same screen:

Pa1mOne
    Initializing

With the green circle that changes.

Can you please help me with this? I would really really appreciate it!

Thanks,

Stan
    Last edited by Stanward; 04/28/2004 at 04:27 PM.
  15.    #15  
    Okay, I made some mistakes in trying to update the firmware. I successfully updated my firmware to ver 3.04 and my Treo600 works fine when I exit the elevator(or any place that gives me "no service" for that matter).

Thank you for your recommendations.

Stan
    Sorry i didn't answer earlier. I just now read your posts (exams suck)

Anyway, i'm glad it went allright, and that your problems have been solved
  17.    #17  
    Thanks for the recommendation. I just don't like the problem with the speed of the connection time to the GPRS network.

I see a nice "Please Wait" screen that comes on for a minute when I try to manually connect to the GPRS network.

I don't know if it's just me or what?

Stan
    personally i don't have any problems with the GPRS connection. it comes up seconds after the GSM connection has been made.
    Might be that i'm just lucky with the provider here
    Treo600 works fine when I exit the elevator
    Glad to hear that it worked out.