1.    #1  
    hey guys ..
    i find that at first my treo was running fast. . and i did a clean install of everything and install everything one by one properly with uninstall manager to fully documented the install ...

at certain point i find that the treo lags ..
    what i mean by lags is ...

the menu button popup choice seems to be slow when going from one menu to another . at first it was fast .. i dunno what i installed suddently it lags ...

treo butler ? posible ? hmmm ...
    some help would be apppciraited .. im gonna install software one by one to see which software causes lags ...
  2.    #2  
    i found out what the cause

1. Treo Select Text

possible .. coz when i uninstall this suddently it went fast ..
    guys please try and tell me your opinion ... ull find the menu going slow from jumping from one menu to another when u have tero select text installed ..
    Quote Originally Posted by xaix
    i did a clean install of everything and install everything one by one properly with uninstall manager to fully documented the install ...
    Probably Uninstall Manager is slowing things down. It runs in the background (patches the OS) and has to monitor things while other apps are running.
    Wow!!!! I didn't realize how much that was slowing down my Treo (even though it was not unbearably slow). I deleted it and did a soft reset. I remember reading that other "enhacement" apps also slow down the Treo. I think someone even mentioned that the newer versions of PTunes cause slowdown.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    Wow!!!! I didn't realize how much that was slowing down my Treo (even though it was not unbearably slow). I deleted it and did a soft reset. I remember reading that other "enhacement" apps also slow down the Treo. I think someone even mentioned that the newer versions of PTunes cause slowdown.
    Especially if you have the Equalizer turned on in Ptunes, things start dragging...
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  6.    #6  
    but uninstall manager is a necessity hehehehhe .. i love having uninstall manager so easy to unisntall application without leaving any orphan files ...

and plus it has a sand box which i really love to test out softwares ...
    Quote Originally Posted by xaix
    but uninstall manager is a necessity hehehehhe .. i love having uninstall manager so easy to unisntall application without leaving any orphan files ...

and plus it has a sand box which i really love to test out softwares ...
    InWatch will do the same thing, but without patching the OS. It uses a Snapshot and Compare method which is not as sleek, but probably more effective.
    I have tried uninstalling TST, uninstall manager and various other apps that patches the OS (ie. QLaunch, KeyCaps600) but my treo still exhibits this laggy behaviour.

It is evident when switching apps. Try hitting phone and then moving to another app (ie. calendar) and you will notice there is abt a 1 second whitescreen delay before the next app is displayed onscreen.

It is MORE evident how much faster the treo is if you were to do a warm reset (reset while holding up) which is sorta like booting windows in safe mode without loading any system patches. You will notice how the treo "flies" when moving from one app to another. It is truly a joy to use. Now i am even more determined to get to the root of the problem in order to enojoy using the treo again.

Anyone got any ideas?
    I was also getting major lag, and since I demo so many apps, I had junk all over. So I backed up with backupman and did a hard reset. I then reinstalled one app at a time to see when the real lag started. Pockettunes seems to be the culprit over here. As soon as I deleted it my speed picked up. Of course not to the blazing speed of immediately after a hard reset, when nothing is on my treo, but significantly swifter. So, is that the only culprit? Don't know yet. But it was definitely a lagmaker.
    A good way to test for system slowdowns would be to use what I'd like to call the "Zap Test" :

Note: Make sure KC600 is disabled and "enabled on reset" checked off PRIOR to performing the resets as KC600 directly affects the dpad refresh rate (which is not an indication whatsoever of system response speeds).

1. After a warm reset (hold up + reset), run Zap!2016 that came with the treo. You'll notice how fast the game actually is. Scroll all the way from left to right whilst keeping an eye on the "stars" in the background. Notice how framerate is extremely smooth. Firing speed is also a good indicator. Multiple shots fired off in sequence literally "fllies" off your plane.

2. Do a normal reset, let the OS load system apps, and run Zap!2016 again. Do the sideways scroll & fire speed test. If you immediately notice a HUGE difference it means that your system has suffered a slowdown.

Using the Zap Test above, I have successfully identified the culprits that attribute to system slowdowns. I have hence uninstalled some of them and have found considerable speed improvements in response times.

Some culprits:
    McPhling - presumable because it has to cache most-recently-used apps
    mTone - could be just me but I found less slowdowns after removal
    SnapCalc - ditto
    NetSelect - ditto

Bear in mind that the slowdown is probably a cumulation of the effects of all the system-patching apps as a whole. With the exception of one or two, the removal of one sole app probably isn't going to make a noticeable difference. Bear in mind the zen mantra: k.i.s.s. (Keep It Simple Stupid)

All but the most crucial of system-patching apps remain. TST, KC600, TB, and Uninstall Mgr will always find a space on my treo indefinitely.
    I 'm also suffering the lag.
    As mentioned above , I also use Unintall Manager, and I will give InWatch a try.

But I know that "the blazing fast after warm-reset" could be contributed by two things:
    1.the laggy app.(maybe like uninstall manager)
    2.THE APP. LISTEN TO `HEDE`.

`hede` is an event in palm programming ,technically every palm event will generate `hede` event and if an application has register this event, it will be invoked after every palm event,if the app. is slow in some aspect, the huge slowing down will be brought to you palm. Warm-reset will block app. registering the `hede` event( at least on my Treo ).

To check how many `hede` app. is there on your palm, you can install " palm internals" and do a full notification, in `hede` section, you will find the list.

Here is some `hede` app.( order from large impact to system to less)
    1.Lightwav
    2.profile
    3.profileCare
    4.ScreenShot5

the `hede` slowing down is noticable in most game playing.Like "skyforce".
    I have delete Uninstall Manager but do no good to the lag. My test is launch the Citytime shipped with my Treo600 ,and if the lag is there , there will be about 1 sec. or 2 delay of white screen (WSOD-white screen of delay ^_^ ) before the app. fully launched.

BTW:The lag goes away after I delete only two files: Saved preference ,Unsaved preference, and others all untouched.
    Last edited by yinx; 01/30/2007 at 11:45 AM. Reason: missing something