1.    #1  
    Okay, few questions - any help appreciated:

Scenario: I have two Imap accounts set up - One is the primary, one is an add...

1) I have the primary set up for "push" - does that flow to the secondary account as well? It doesn't seem to push email to EITHER account - do I need to turn on the Alerts on the settings page of the website? I would prefer NOT to do this because it's annoying to get an SMS/Sound for EVERY message. It appears to take a while to get the messages...

2) What is the difference between "scheduled sync" and the "push" settings? Push is supposed to get new email right away and "sync" will just sync the email flags/deletes, etc????

3) Does this all occur in the background (like Versamail and/or Chatter)?

Sorry for the newbie like questions...

Thanks!

L
    Lee Ladisky
    For #1

Push does not flow from one to the other and will only work from the configured account from your desktop connector. Web based connectors do not support push. Which places do you have your IMAP configured? My guess is one at the desktop and one at the Web interface. As long as you enable it on the device

Ignore the Alerts settings on the Web site... this is only for SMS Alerts outside of the client on your device so you get a new SMS message every time new email is available or by the filters you set. This is independent of the Push mechanism.

In your settings preferences on the device make sure that Push is enabled. Do a manual sync first because if your device was turned off and could not respond to up to 4 times it will supress the notifications until you manually sync again which resets the push mechanism. With that said if your IMAP is still not pushing there are some other steps that can be done as well.

For #2
    You pretty much have it figured out...

Scheduled Sync is where the device will go out and sync at the selected intervals for new mail and take care of any other settings changes / email state changes etc. Doing a manual sync does the same thing as well.

Push is designed just for new email. In reality it is a "triggered pull", meaning that when new email is detected at the server your desktop notifies the server to send out an encrypted SMS and your device wakes up to it and initiates the sync back to the server or your desktop depending on your connector. With BCPE the SMS's go out usually within 10 minutes of new email so it is not instant but close enough for most folks. Of course a manual sync will pull things in immediately and update both sides appropriately.

Whether it is through Push or Scheduled Sync the device and server are updated with the latest settings from either side.

For #3

Yes... it happens in the background when your device is not busy.

MG

Quote Originally Posted by Leeladisky
    Okay, few questions - any help appreciated:

Scenario: I have two Imap accounts set up - One is the primary, one is an add...

1) I have the primary set up for "push" - does that flow to the secondary account as well? It doesn't seem to push email to EITHER account - do I need to turn on the Alerts on the settings page of the website? I would prefer NOT to do this because it's annoying to get an SMS/Sound for EVERY message. It appears to take a while to get the messages...

2) What is the difference between "scheduled sync" and the "push" settings? Push is supposed to get new email right away and "sync" will just sync the email flags/deletes, etc????

3) Does this all occur in the background (like Versamail and/or Chatter)?

Sorry for the newbie like questions...

Thanks!

L
  3.    #3  
    Thank you for that incredibly detailed response! It's great!!! Do you happen to know if there is an API that can be triggered to force a poll on the 2nd account? For example, let's say I decide to set up alerts on the 2nd machine - does BC/Seven have an API that TreoHelper can call to force a "triggered pull" on the 2nd account? ;-)

Probably not, just thought I would ask!
    Lee Ladisky
    There is no API that I know of however you can set your alternate accounts to do a scheduled sync to get the email... the smallest frequency interval can be set down to one hour at the minimam from what I recall but it is the only way to have it regularly retrieve email other than manual sync.

Did you get your primary desktop account to "Push" the email for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Leeladisky
    Thank you for that incredibly detailed response! It's great!!! Do you happen to know if there is an API that can be triggered to force a poll on the 2nd account? For example, let's say I decide to set up alerts on the 2nd machine - does BC/Seven have an API that TreoHelper can call to force a "triggered pull" on the 2nd account? ;-)

Probably not, just thought I would ask!