Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. rrs
    After having a lot of problems keeping Business "Connection" PE connected, I started a trial of Snappermail. That trial is now coming to an end and I need to decide whether to buy Snappermail. I like a lot of things about Snappermail. With the auto-fetch capabilities of Snappermail, I haven't missed push mail. I also like not having to keep my desktop on continuously.

I do have a couple of questions about how the new Enterprise edition of Snappermail with IMAP support will work. (I have IMAP access to my Exchange server). Here are the questions:

1. Will I be able to synchronize the Inbox. Now, if I delete an item in the Inbox on my Treo, it is deleted on the server. Will Enterprise edition work the other way around? That is, if I delete on the server, will the message be deleted on my Treo?

2. Can I synchronize items in my sent mail folder? Now, if I send a message on my Treo, I can't find it on the server when I'm at my desktop.

3. Can you sync Calendar items under Enterprise edition?

4. I can't tell from the minimal information Snapper Fish has posted about ver 2.0 whether it will perform a background sync. Does anyone know?

Thanks for any answers you can provide. I realize that my knowledge may be limited because I'm not familiar with the benefits that IMAP may offer.
    It's supposed to be a full IMAP client which means that it will keep your server and Treo fully in sync at all times. Messages deleted on the server will be deleted on the Treo.
    Messages sent from the Treo will appear on the server.

Don't know about calendar or background sync.
    It's not correct to say that Snappermail will keep your Treo sync'ed at all times. From what I understand, it will keep your Treo sync'ed ON DEMAND, or on a schedule. Chatter is the only IMAP app (although less fully featured) that keeps your Treo synced "at all times" (i.e. whenever a data connection is available).

Marc
    If you don't want to wait until it is released so you can test it (which is what I would do), you can buy SM now and get upgraded to 2.0 when it come out. See.

1. This is the way it should work,

2. Maybe.

3. Probabaly not.

4. If you mean like the Handspring mail client, then NO.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I think it is quite a rip off to pay $50 for their program in Oct 2003. Get one upgrade to go to IMAP at $25 8 months later
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbrummels
    I think it is quite a rip off to pay $50 for their program in Oct 2003. Get one upgrade to go to IMAP at $25 8 months later
    I agree. By the way, whatever happened to Will's touting of "1 release per month"? Remember when he used to plug that all the time?

Dunc
  7. rrs
    Here's the reply I received from tech support at Snappermail:

1. Inbox Sync: "Assuming you have access to an IMAP server, the Enterprise version will completely sync the Inbox. The messages and their state (read, unread, deleted) will appear in SnapperMail just the way they are on the server."

2. Sent Items Sync: "The initial release of 2.0 will not automatically move Sent messages to the IMAP Sent folder (I suspect this will be added, since IMAP users expect this functionality). However, you can manually move the messages from the local Sent folder to the IMAP Sent folder."

3. Calendar Items Sync: "Although it turns out that SnapperMail can sync with this folder, it's not completely supported (the date doesn't show up in the list view, for example, and there is no integration with the handheld date book). Again, this is something that may be added in a later version."

4. Background Sync: "No, background syncs are still not possible. Because of stability issues, we may not add this until OS 6 is available, but we're looking at it."
    Quote Originally Posted by rrs
    Here's the reply I received from tech support at Snappermail:

1. Inbox Sync: "Assuming you have access to an IMAP server, the Enterprise version will completely sync the Inbox. The messages and their state (read, unread, deleted) will appear in SnapperMail just the way they are on the server."

2. Sent Items Sync: "The initial release of 2.0 will not automatically move Sent messages to the IMAP Sent folder (I suspect this will be added, since IMAP users expect this functionality). However, you can manually move the messages from the local Sent folder to the IMAP Sent folder."

3. Calendar Items Sync: "Although it turns out that SnapperMail can sync with this folder, it's not completely supported (the date doesn't show up in the list view, for example, and there is no integration with the handheld date book). Again, this is something that may be added in a later version."

4. Background Sync: "No, background syncs are still not possible. Because of stability issues, we may not add this until OS 6 is available, but we're looking at it."
    All that money to upgrade and it doesn't even have full IMAP integration.
    What's the deal with version 2? What is the timeline for releasing it? We've only been waiting for IMAP for the last year and half now...

Dunc
    #4 (background sync) annoys me a bit. Handspring's app does it just fine. I know they are trying to support a wide range of devices but they could at least support the Treo since its easiest to implement on, and is probably where it is most useful/wanted.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunc
    What's the deal with version 2? What is the timeline for releasing it? We've only been waiting for IMAP for the last year and half now...
    It will be out the start of April....oh wait lait April....um OK how bout early May....heh..grrr.

Its being beta tested right now but they wont release it to the public, and yes, now they are saying early May.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirdType
    #4 (background sync) annoys me a bit. Handspring's app does it just fine. I know they are trying to support a wide range of devices but they could at least support the Treo since its easiest to implement on, and is probably where it is most useful/wanted.

has anyone tried the handspring email client on another device? does it do background?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    has anyone tried the handspring email client on another device? does it do background?
    Yes it does background sync, but only the Inbox. Other folders are NOT automatically synced unless you force it.

L

BTW: There is no "sync all" feature that I'm aware of that would simultaneously (preferably automatically) all accounts and all folders.

L
    Lee Ladisky
    Early may, coming soon!

I'm a versamail user because of the IMAP functions, and am really looking forward to another option.

Soon, please?
    Gabe Kangas
    Achievatron 2004 - ?
    Visor Deluxe -> Treo 300 -> TREO 600 -> Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirdType
    By the time they get background sync (OS6, load of crap !) the program will have cost over $120 if you were an early adopter, without OS update cost !

Most companies give upgrades for a year, I remember one in the last 8 months of ownership !

Going from, 1.0 to 2.0 is an major revision, 1.92 to 2.0 isn't work half cost again, way to rip your loyal customer base.

Completely unacceptable !
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Good - should be so

Bad - not worth switching from VersaMail at this point then.

I wonder if it can sync more than one folder. I currently sync my "Inbox" and 3 other folders, and Sent Items appear in my master mailbox and messages I delete go into my Master Trash. In order to portray SnapperMail has having "full IMAP support" all three of these options (Sent Items, Trash, Multiple Folder Sync) need to be present.

I was hopeful, because the only thing VersaMail doesn't have is "real" 5-way navigation support. I'm using the VolumeRocker stuff to emulate the Tunsten T navigation support - makes most things much better, some options it makes worse <sigh> - but I need real IMAP support more than I need 5-way Navigation, so I'm sticking with VersaMail at this point <g>.

Danita
  17. rrs
    Is there a free trial for Versamail?
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Is there a free trial for Versamail?
    Alas, no - that's it's biggest drawback. And believe me I've tried. I've written articles about IMAP in the past and told PalmOne that they would only be mentioned in the "they wouldn't cooperated" column <g>, but nothing I did would convince them to give me a demo version!

However, having been a long-time MultiMail user (VersaMail had to wait for the Treo600 because it requires Palm OS 4+) I bit the bullet when I got my Treo600, because none of the programs I had tried before even came close to MultiMail, and it hadn't been updated since 1999! I do not believe there is an IMAP client out there that I haven't tried (Basejet, 2bAnyWhere, Papi, Chatter, Aileron, Iambic, T-Mail, etc.). The only thing that any of the new programs can do that VersaMail can't is really use the 5-way Navigation. That can be annoying. However, my needs for an email client are totally geared around having a single mailbox that can be represented at the office and on my Treo in much the same way - i.e., if I have 225 messages in my inbox at the office I want exactly 225 messages on my Treo. If I send a message from the Treo, I want to be able to find it on the master when I get back to the office. If I have need to synchronize multiple folders so that I have more than just my "inbox" on the Treo, that's important too. With VersaMail, I can move messages from my inbox into other folders and have those messages moved on the master as well, etc. It would truly be unworkable for me to have to do all of those things twice.

I've had to give up 5-way navigation for now in order to have the rich IMAP features of VersaMail. And quite honestly, the only thing I'm interested in with SnapperMail is just that. However, SnapperMail has to have all of the IMAP features that Enterprises need before I trade VersaMail for SnapperMail. And it's evident from posts here that SnapperMail isn't going to deliver full IMAP support immediately, so I continue to wait, and use what works for me <g>.

I'm also hopeful that since PalmOne now owns the Treo there will be a VersaMail version made for it. They have specific versions for the Tungsten and the Zire, so it would make sense that they would update VersaMail for the Treo.

Danita
    Depending on how much control you have over your mail system (and how much additional work you want to do), you can setup snappermail to do what you want with the sent-mail. I use the auto-bcc feature of snappermail to copy myself on every piece of email I send, then on the server side I have a procmail script that automatically moves these messages to the imap sent-mail folder, thus keeping everything perfectly in sync.
    What version of Versamail works with the Treo 600???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast