Page 1 of 14 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Version 5 of Pickem uploaded 5/5.
    See posts #61 for details

Progress on my PictureMail replacement has been met with many large speed bumps and potholes, but everything that I have set out to do, I have eventually succeeded at.

Since the last update, here's what's new:
    CameraLib whatever doesn't crash
    Email progress bar
    Pictures of any size can be sent
    Blue-Dots-Of-Death-One-Button fix
    Probably some other stuff that I'm forgetting.

I just got it working sending large pictures. I want to do some more testing on it before I post it, hopefully, Sunday night. Oh, and it crashes after the email is sent, but it does send.

What is the "Blue-Dots-Of-Death-One-Button fix", you ask?
    Attached is a montage of before and after pictures with very bad blue dot problems. The pictures on the left are reference pictures, taken with a Sony Cyber-Shot. The pictures on the right are normal Treo 600 pictures with very bad blue dot problems. After I took those pictures, I pushed one button, and took the picture again. The results are the pictures in the middle. With a little work, I'm sure I can get the colors more true to life.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by thppfft; 05/05/2004 at 11:51 PM.
    I have the world in my Palm
    where's the software?
    That is amazing. The middle picture looks MUCH better! I would be interested in trying this application ... can you post a link??
  4.    #4  
    Version 4 is on the first post.

Known issues:
    Some of the Camera Settings don't show the current setting, but they are set to whatever your set them to.
    The status bar is not finished.

This release should not crash, give any error messages, or have memory leaks ( except for the same memory leak that Picture Mail has ).

To toggle zoom, push the 'z' key.
    If the camera really screws up, e.g. all you see is black, push 'r' and restart the program.
    To get rid of the blue dots, push 's'.

On the todo list is:
    Fix the above two issues
    Make a better blue dot remover
    Manual exposer
    Send email to more than one person

Any other suggestions?
    The todo list ideas are awesome (you rock for a manual exposer plan)

Perhaps add buttons for zoom and blue dot removal...?

Can you make it so it works with the Treo app that makes the Vol keys act as 'capture' buttons (or just make that an option in the program)...

I assume I can just associate this in phone and it'll replace the old phone app.. right?

An icon would be nice

(What memory leak does Picture Mail have?)

Oh, being able to send multiple pictures to a person (and, similarly, to a blog) would be cool

I'm just naming out stuff that occurs to me, feel free to tell me to stfu.

I'm happy about the new app though YAY you!
    Just tried the new version. Love the Blue-Dots-Of-Death-One-Button fix.

I'm still getting the split screen when I zoom every once in a while. Also I tried sending a picture (twice) and received an ERROR

IB
    0x0000

then the app crashed. This doesn't happen all the time. I've successfully sent myself some photos with no problem. Could it be due to some other app on my treo? Did you do something with the settings for low level light? I've noticed that the photo, when taken in low level light are a lot clearer or is it due to the Blue-Dots-Of-Death-One-Button fix? Great job.
    Suggestion:

1. Is it possible to set up a delete button in the photo viewer?
    2. Option to save to SD card?
    Just tried it. Nice job thppfft!
    Sprint's not going to like you for it.

Quote Originally Posted by thppfft
    Version 4 of Pickem uploaded 4/27.
    See post #4 for details

Progress on my PictureMail replacement has been met with many large speed bumps and potholes, but everything that I have set out to do, I have eventually succeeded at.

Since the last update, here's what's new:
    CameraLib whatever doesn't crash
    Email progress bar
    Pictures of any size can be sent
    Blue-Dots-Of-Death-One-Button fix
    Probably some other stuff that I'm forgetting.

I just got it working sending large pictures. I want to do some more testing on it before I post it, hopefully, Sunday night. Oh, and it crashes after the email is sent, but it does send.

What is the "Blue-Dots-Of-Death-One-Button fix", you ask?
    Attached is a montage of before and after pictures with very bad blue dot problems. The pictures on the left are reference pictures, taken with a Sony Cyber-Shot. The pictures on the right are normal Treo 600 pictures with very bad blue dot problems. After I took those pictures, I pushed one button, and took the picture again. The results are the pictures in the middle. With a little work, I'm sure I can get the colors more true to life.
  9.    #9  
    Version 4.1 has:
    Built-in QSET in the Camera Settings
    Different Timebomb

Long story short: Micron has discontinued the camera for the Treo 600.

Long story: I don't want someone to use this program with the wrong camera and screw it up, so I wanted to check the version of the camera before use. The version number that mine returned, and the number in the datasheet are different, so I went to their site to do some research, and it's gone! I'm going to contact them tomorrow and see what the deal is.
    Because of the camera issue, I instituted a timebomb in the program. The first one just timed out in 21 days, so it will still be alive and kicking after I'm dead. This one dies on June 1st. Now I have better control over the versioning.

QSET: I set the quality to 99, and took a large picture of snow on the TV. The picture came out to be 399k. It took 2 minutes, 10 seconds for the entire send process. The resultant email was 541k, due to Base64 encoding. The picture is stored on internal memory, not the SD card. To email, you need about 2.5 times more free RAM than the size of the picture.

Now for some viewer mail...
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by rizwankassim
    The todo list ideas are awesome (you rock for a manual exposer plan)

Perhaps add buttons for zoom and blue dot removal...?

Can you make it so it works with the Treo app that makes the Vol keys act as 'capture' buttons (or just make that an option in the program)...

I assume I can just associate this in phone and it'll replace the old phone app.. right?

An icon would be nice

(What memory leak does Picture Mail have?)

Oh, being able to send multiple pictures to a person (and, similarly, to a blog) would be cool

I'm just naming out stuff that occurs to me, feel free to tell me to stfu.

I'm happy about the new app though YAY you!
    The 'z' key zooms. The 's' key rids the blue dots.

Volume keys sound good. Might be easier to hit than the center button.

You can associate in Display Preferences in the Phone app.

Yes, an icon would be nice. Any artist out there?

The memory leak is built into the camera library. Open up Filez, click on Information, and note the number of Free bytes. Then launch Pictures and select a picture to share. When Picture Mail comes up, don't send the picture. Go back to Files, and you will see that the number of Free bytes is lower. The leak increases with the size of the picture. E.g. if you do this with a 10k picture, then a 20k picture, you will see the decrease in free bytes. If you do this with a 20k picture, then a 10k one, there won't be a difference.

Sending multiple pictures would be nice, but I think that would need a GUI overhaul. What I was talking about was sending the same picture to more than one person at the same time.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by rsfarooo
    Just tried the new version. Love the Blue-Dots-Of-Death-One-Button fix.

I'm still getting the split screen when I zoom every once in a while. Also I tried sending a picture (twice) and received an ERROR

IB
    0x0000

then the app crashed. This doesn't happen all the time. I've successfully sent myself some photos with no problem. Could it be due to some other app on my treo? Did you do something with the settings for low level light? I've noticed that the photo, when taken in low level light are a lot clearer or is it due to the Blue-Dots-Of-Death-One-Button fix? Great job.
    Yep. The split screen started happening to me again. Exiting the app and launching it again will fix it. This annoys me the most, so it's most likely the first thing to get fixed.

It's a memory problem. It should only happen occasionally with large files. I forgot about that one. It will be fixed in the next release.

Here's the deal with the blue dots. In low light, the camera turns up the gain on the sensor. Too much gain causes noise. Blue is more noisy than red or green. I also get blue noise on my Sony, but not nearly as much! So, when you push the button, it turns down the gain on the blue channel. Voila! No more blue noise. The side affect is that the picture is now orangey. I'm not sure what I can do about that, because there's no manual gain control over green, just blue and red. There's a master gain I tried, but it didn't seem to work. I'll get back to it in a few days.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by rsfarooo
    Suggestion:

1. Is it possible to set up a delete button in the photo viewer?
    2. Option to save to SD card?
    #2 is on the sooner list.
    #1 is on the later list.

I want this to be a true PictureMail replacement, so I'm going to have to let you delete the pictures, rename them, and all that fun stuff, and more. I also want it to have a simple photo album, where you can zoom and scroll. I'm purposely avoiding thinking about this right now because it seems overwhelming.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by newtreouser
    Just tried it. Nice job thppfft!
    Sprint's not going to like you for it.
    Why? For taking away a revenue stream?

I know how much the carriers love the non-smartphones, where they can be the troll, er.. toll collector for every piece of software that someone installs on the phone, and they can put their branding on everything sent from the phone.

These smartphones must be tearing them up inside. They have no control over them. They charge what, $3 for wallpaper? And here Travisjohn is giving them away for free! Five dollars for ringtones? Get PocketTunes for free and Lightwav for $15, and you have all the MP3 ringtones you want for free!
  14.    #14  
    Doh! 4.1 broke zoom and blue dot fix. 4.1a makes them functional again.
    What's the time bomb? I don't understand....
    Cool app, btw!
    I trie your program and I get two error messages:

When launch the program:

Warning: This program is intended only for camera model MT9V142.
    Use with any other camera may cause permanent damege.

When I accept the message:

CameraLibOpen error: %u
    0x0511

The program take photos and work as expected.

What are thes message?
    When I launched the app, the following error popped up: "Warning: this program is intended only for camera model MT9V143. Use with any other camera may cause permanent damage." I click ok, and then get "CameraLibOpen error: %u 0x0511"
    Is that normal??? What should I do?
    Thanks
    Heehee! We posted the same message at the same time! Good to know I'm not alone, though!
    OK, I'm a newbie and now very confused. I have a Sprint Treo 600 with a built in camera. Will this program help improved the CRAPPY picture quality? Also it adds things like zoom? Didn't think that was possible....
    Yep, this app allows you to zoom and gets rid of the blue dots. Looks like thppfft is still trying to work the kinks out of it. Can't wait till the final release.
Page 1 of 14 12345611 ... LastLast