1.    #1  
    Hey, what would news ot the Treocentral forums coming back be without a new Treo 610 rumor!!

However this time, it's not some questionable handheld site as the source but the Dow Jones News itself!!

http://sg.biz.yahoo.com/040423/15/3jqc3.html

The article is mainly about rumors that PalmOne will soon drop Sierra Wireless as the supplier for the cdma radios in the Treo 600 and choose another company called G-Tran instead.

According to the Detwiler note, Sierra's "modem business with PalmOne may not be sustainable at its current rate, as we are hearing that PalmOne has plans to move away from Sierra Wireless for models following the Treo 600 and 610."

<snip>

The Detwiler Mitchell note said that Sierra could generate as much as $5-$7 million in revenue from PalmOne in the second and third quarters, as PalmOne is expected to launch the Treo 610 on Verizon Wireless's (VRZ.XX) network. Verison is the biggest U.S. wireless carrier. Currently, the Treo 600 runs predominantly on Sprint Corp.'s (PCS) network in the U.S.
    I wonder if this means there is a possibilty that the Verizon optimized Treos will be 1xEvDo compatible!!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    This makes total sense to me.

On April 28th, The Zire 72 gets a 1.3 megapixel camera, while the 610 will be without a camera.

http://www.theregister.com/2004/04/15/new_palms/
    I have the world in my Palm
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    I wonder if this means there is a possibilty that the Verizon optimized Treos will be 1xEvDo compatible!!
    Unless the verizon model is called the 620, I would say no.

From the quote you posted, the 610 will use the same radio as the 600.

PalmOne has plans to move away from Sierra Wireless for models following the Treo 600 and 610
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    Unless the verizon model is called the 620, I would say no.

From the quote you posted, the 610 will use the same radio as the 600.
    I was also speculating about EV-DO in the 610 on the another post, but the more I think about it, several questions come to mind.

What are the power requirements for a radio supporting EV-DO? Can I really benefit from that much bandwidth given the Treo's screen quality? How much more would this unit cost, and how many folks would be willing to pay the $80/month in data charges? Would Verizon realize that most folks would use it as a wireless modem for their laptops? Would it be competitive with the other new handheld/smartphones? Has palmOne forgotten about Wi-Fi, VoIP? Will the upcoming release of the MPx300 and h6300 series prove that people desire BT and Wi-Fi in their smartphones? Granted the Treo 600 beats any other handheld for one-handed operation, but when it comes time to make significant changes such as a better screen or radio will the form factor change? I'd prefer to see it a little bigger, 1/4" wider, 1/2" taller, better screen, Wi-Fi, 1.2 MP camera and removable battery.
    <a href="http://billkosloskymd.typepad.com/wirelessdoc/">Wireless Doc the blog</a>
  5.    #5  
    Well, Brighthand has now posted a story about the Treo 610 as well quoting the Dow Jones article:

http://www.brighthand.com/article/Ru...firms_Treo_610

Rumors of a replacement for palmOne's popular Treo 600 smartphone have been circulating for months but there has never been any strong evidence for the existence of the Treo 610. Thanks to an industry analyst, that has now changed.
    So exactly when does the second quarter start anyway?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Palm III > Palm IIIC > Handera 330 > Kyocera 6035 & Sony NR70V > Treo 600 > Treo650 & Palm LifeDrive > Modded LifeDrive w/16gig CF > Palm Pre