Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Anyone using OnlyMe on their Sprint Treo 600? I am testing the program and have noted that that screen activates for a second or so every few minutes and there are times that it does not activate the lock feature within the specified time period.
    Thanks
    Ben
    I bought TealLock and it works much better with the Treo than OnlyMe.
  3.    #3  
    Based on your statement, I downloaded and installed it. Gosh, there are lots of options, almost as many as PDA Defense. The encryption is only 128 vs 256, though not a real problem at all. Their nag for registration system really sucks. Otherwise, it is behaving. It'll be about another five minutes before the first test is done. Ben
  4.    #4  
    TealLock has passed every test I have run. It locks on time, lets other apps work properly (Bob's Alarm, SMS notification Treo Helper and SnapperMail).

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by experiment626
    I bought TealLock and it works much better with the Treo than OnlyMe.
    I am happy with TealLock- it doesnt get in the way of the phone operation and seems to provide a resonable level of security and encryption.
    Do you know whether it will let Chatter IM's and email get through?
    OnlyME works well for me.

Problem with Teallock - If you do a WARM reset (not soft reset), Teallock is bypassed completely and the in-built system security feature takes over. This makes the wipe/bomb feature in Teallock absolutely useless. Unless Tealpoint has fixed this, which I don't think it has the last time I checked 2 months ago, Teallock is a no go.
    Teal doesn't seem to update anything !

Their player was last updated in Oct 2003 !
  9.    #9  
    Yes they all do - as long as the related files are not encrypted. Ben

-----------

Quote Originally Posted by neill
    Do you know whether it will let Chatter IM's and email get through?
    Nope, TealMovie last updated Oct 2003
  11.    #11  
    From my experiments with TealLock, a reset does bring up the default security screen and after the password is entered, it goes directly to TealLock. Now I have not played with 'the bomb," the self-destruct. I think I will ask 'em about this feature.

Ben
    Chatter IM and IMAP and BackUpBuddyVFS both work just fine with TealLock locking the device. I use both all teh time without issue and without the security getting in teh way of their functionality.
    TealLock has issues:

With KeyGaurd enabled, sometimes when you launch the Phone app it will open in "locked mode" where you can only dial emergency numbers, and the device ends up locked. This bug is known by Teal and their answer is to "not use KeyGaurd". Uhuh
    EDIT: IIRC this only happened to me when turning the device on by launching Phone with the button.

Ive read posts where people found ways around the lock, like pressing "Goto" in the alarm dialouge for a calendar alarm. There was a workaround, something like encrypting the database to disable alarms?

TealLock will not respond to the standard lock mechanism, meaning you cannot use programs like mSafe or TreoHelper to lock your Treo from an SMS. TealLock has no plans to fix this.
    EDIT: In all fairness I think that the SMS lock could be accomplished by altering TreoHelper (the code) to send a shortcut command to activate TealLock's screen. Not sure though...

I personally use PDA Defense, see post #13:
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=49227
    Last edited by ThirdType; 04/27/2004 at 12:09 AM.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    Quote Originally Posted by cywong
    OnlyME works well for me.

Problem with Teallock - If you do a WARM reset (not soft reset), Teallock is bypassed completely and the in-built system security feature takes over. This makes the wipe/bomb feature in Teallock absolutely useless. Unless Tealpoint has fixed this, which I don't think it has the last time I checked 2 months ago, Teallock is a no go.
    On this Warm Reset thing, I think you will find that if the Treo is locked when you do the Warm reset, then it will remain locked.

For me Teallock is 99%, anymore and it would get in the way !!

Any really sensitive information is then put in Cryptinfo. Between the 2 of them I am happy that I am 100% safe.

Chas
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT
    On this Warm Reset thing, I think you will find that if the Treo is locked when you do the Warm reset, then it will remain locked.

For me Teallock is 99%, anymore and it would get in the way !!

Any really sensitive information is then put in Cryptinfo. Between the 2 of them I am happy that I am 100% safe.

Chas
    If you set Teallock to wipe all data on handheld on x # of wrong password entries but this feature is bypassed when a warm reset is done - then Teallock is not doing its job. I don't want someone stealing my Treo, then do a warm reset, then enter an infinite no. of password tries to get into my treo. I want the security program to do a complete wipe of all data on handheld, including wiping all sensitive info encrypted in SplashID or whatever other program.

The version of OnlyMe I have has a wipe option and OnlyMe will always be activated regardless of soft or warm reset, incoming sms, alarms or whatever. 10 wrong password entries and my Treo does a hard reset, wiping all data on the handheld. Nothing complicated.

I get peace of mind with OnlyMe, not Teallock.

My 2 cents......
    cywong,

i dont see the wipe option you mentioned. i downloaded the latest version and read the manual, it does not mention any wipe option after 10 wrong passwords.

which version do you use? and in which menu, it has wipe option

it also slow down the system during the power off. the screen flicks few time before completely off. do you experience the same thing?
    Last edited by ryker; 04/28/2004 at 12:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryker
    cywong,

i dont see the wipe option you mentioned. i downloaded the latest version and read the manual, it does not mention any wipe option after 10 wrong passwords.

which version do you use? and in which menu, it has wipe option

it also slow down the system during the power off. the screen flicks few time before completely off. do you experience the same thing?
    Yup, the trial version available for download on the website is without the wipe option.

Just send an e-mail to the developer, Alex Robinson, and request for the version with the wipe option set at 10 password tries. This feature is, according to his website, available for what he calls 'site licensing', but he will send it to you if you ask for it (at least he did for me). He responds very quickly to e-mails and has been a great help.

As to your question about slowing down during power off, yes there is a slight flicker and a milisecond delay in powering off, but I presume that is the program being activated to protect the device. Does the fraction of a second delay bother you? Personally, I have no issues with it.

Hope that helps.

P.S. Just to add that I would like to give PDADefense another try to see what changes they've made recently to make it Treo600 compatible. Only problem I still foresee is a simple design problem with password entry for PDADefense - that is, when powering on the device, you cannot just enter password straight in as the command prompt/cursor is not automatically placed in the password entry field. Therefore, one would have to touch the screen or move the prompt/cursor down with the dpad on the Treo in order to start entering a password - bad design in my opinion (unless they've fixed this and I am not aware of it). Can anyone confirm that this is still the case with PDADefense?

Great thing about password entry with OnlyMe is that you can immediately begin typing the password when device is powered up, and if you choose faststart option, you can gain access to your device pretty quickly.
    Last edited by cywong; 04/28/2004 at 02:13 AM.
    OK, I've had a quick look at the Onlyme website.

I could not workout if it allowed the phone to be used when locked.

Cheers

Chas
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasT
    OK, I've had a quick look at the Onlyme website.

I could not workout if it allowed the phone to be used when locked.

Cheers

Chas
    Yes, incoming calls (including SMS) can be seen and received/cancelled by user. When received call is in progress, the OnlyMe security screen is up again and user will have to enter password to access other programs in middle of call.

Some users of OnlyMe complain that to hang up a call, one would have to enter the password to get to the phone app. This is not a problem for me since my call is automatically disconnnected from my network when the other person hangs up. I thought all mobile networks do this; but apparently not, since some people seem to have to manually click hang-up on the Treo to disconnect a call.

Hope that helps...
    I have now tried Teallock on both a Treo 180 and a Treo 600 (both GSM), and in both cases have found it too unstable to use. On the 600, when I hit the "turn off" key, first the screen goes dark, then it comes back on, then it blanks but stays lit, then it finally turns off for good.

Even worse, twice now when I have hit the "screen on" key, the Treo has gone into an extremely rapid oscillation between two screens - I think the Teallock entry screen and what would be the next Paml OS screen without Teallock. Only by playing around and hitting keys alot can I finally get it out of this purgatory without doing a reset. (The problems with my old 180 were much worse.)

I had already disabled the basic Treo key lock feature as it seems redundant with Teallock on, so this wasn't the problem. I keep a pretty simple machine - the only things I have added to what came with the 600 are the Cell Plan Tracker program that the PalmOne installation software transitioned over from my 180 (which means that Palm thinks it is compatible with the 600), and some simple data bases like Zagat guides.

My one attempt to get answers from Teal for my 180 problems was met with a cursory and pretty useless answer.

Has anyone gotten Teallock to work in all of its dimensions with a GSM (some of the posts don't indicate which flavor they have)? If not, they shouldn't claim it is Treo compatible.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast