Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30
  1.    #1  
    Good to see the discussion board back up...

    I'm having difficulty finding good security software that will work with my Treo 600 (GSM), and I wanted to see if I can get some suggestions.

    I want something that will self-activate after a delay period that I've set - somewhere around an hour of non-usage is good. I use my Treo a lot over the course of a day, and don't want to be punching in a password 100 times per day. I know there is some risk in using the delayed activation, but it is a lot less risky than using no protection, and if I have to sacrifice convenience, I just won't use it. I also want to be able to manually activate it quickly when I want to.

    There are two applications I've tried that would be great if they worked, but they don't - at least for me.

    First is Gridlock/Gridlock Pro. It works fine if there is no delay set, but if I set it for a one-hour delay, it doesn't work at all. I've tried both the standard and Pro versions and both are the same. Have tried uninstalling and re-installing several times. I emailed their tech support but they couldn't help me.

    Second is Onlyme. Again, feature-wise, it does what I need it to do, but I have problems with it. Whenever I have Onlyme installed on my Treo, it is constantly turning on and off (the screen comes on by itself for a while, then shuts off, over and over).

    I should add that these problems occurred over various versions of firmware and on two different Treos.

    I have also tried PDA Defense, but it doesn't have the delay function, which is really important to me.

    Is there anything else I've missed?
    Last edited by sparky76; 04/24/2004 at 02:05 PM.
  2. #2  
    If I set the timer down to a very low value, say a minute or so, it works properly.


    Ben
    ------------------



    Quote Originally Posted by sparky76
    Good to see the discussion board back up...

    I'm having difficulty finding good security software that will work with my Treo 600 (GSM), and I wanted to see if I can get some suggestions.

    --------------

    Aren't we all looking for a good security program? I sure am also.

    ----------------

    I want something that will self-activate after a delay period that I've set - somewhere around an hour of non-usage is good. I use my Treo a lot over the course of a day, and don't want to be punching in a password 100 times per day. I know there is some risk in using the delayed activation, but it is a lot less risky than using no protection, and if I have to sacrifice convenience, I just won't use it. I also want to be able to manually activate it quickly when I want to.

    There are two applications I've tried that would be great if they worked, but they don't - at least for me.

    First is Gridlock/Gridlock Pro. It works fine if there is no delay set, but if I set it for a one-hour delay, it doesn't work at all. I've tried both the standard and Pro versions and both are the same. Have tried uninstalling and re-installing several times. I emailed their tech support but they couldn't help me.

    --------------
    Tried this long ago and same problem.
    -----------------------

    Second is Onlyme. Again, feature-wise, it does what I need it to do, but I have problems with it. Whenever I have Onlyme installed on my Treo, it is constantly turning on and off (the screen comes on by itself for a while, then shuts off, over and over). I have emailed their tech support and got no response.

    -------------------

    I am trying Onlyme at the same time and having the same problem. I have uninstalled some software to no avail. As for support, try the note again. I sent an email about three hours agoa and got a response about an hour ago. I like their password feature - less work.

    ======================

    I should add that these problems occurred over various versions of firmware and on two different Treos.

    I have also tried PDA Defense, but it doesn't have the delay function, which is really important to me.

    ------------------------------------------

    I tried the PDA Defense Pro version and on the first day, it worked like a charm. After that, it did not work. Did the uninstall/reset/install thing and then started deleting things. I did not want to do the hard reset and install one-by-one thing, which was an option they suggested. Good program when it ran, though frankly, the encryption is more than I really need.

    ------------------

    Is there anything else I've missed?
  3. #3  
    Also, as it works reliably on a small timer value, I probably will go ahead and purchase it. I just emailed the author, Alex Robinson, a list of files on the Treo 600 at his request.
    He did state in an earlier email that he was aware of the problem and was working on it.

    Ben
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky76
    I have also tried PDA Defense, but it doesn't have the delay function, which is really important to me.
    Try under options. You can set the delay time from 1 minute up to 3 hours.

    cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

    Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by cash70
    Try under options. You can set the delay time from 1 minute up to 3 hours.

    cash70
    Oh, I see. That option doesn't appear until you check "lock on power-off." Good to know it's there. Thanks
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger
    Also, as it works reliably on a small timer value, I probably will go ahead and purchase it. I just emailed the author, Alex Robinson, a list of files on the Treo 600 at his request.
    He did state in an earlier email that he was aware of the problem and was working on it.

    Ben
    I emailed onlyme and Alex responded very promptly. He said he is working on it.
  7. #7  
    On the Sprint Treo 600, the time delay does not work reliably on all devices. I tried the program last week and it worked just great for one day. Only one day. The remaining days I worked with it, it was unreliable. It would lock when short times were specified. Ten minutes and above basically did not occur. Some program(s) prevent that function from working.

    Ben

    -------------------

    Quote Originally Posted by cash70
    Try under options. You can set the delay time from 1 minute up to 3 hours.

    cash70
  8. #8  
    Hmmm...not sure since I keep mine at 3 minutes. But will try it out to see what happens...

    cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

    Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
  9. #9  
    I have mine set to two minutes and it is working very well at that setting. If you decide to try the higher numbers, let us know how it goes and what you did to get it working right. I did go ahead and register OnlyMe.
    Ben
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger
    I have mine set to two minutes and it is working very well at that setting. If you decide to try the higher numbers, let us know how it goes and what you did to get it working right. I did go ahead and register OnlyMe.
    Ben
    I have tried 10, 20, and 30 minutes without any problems. PDA Defense activated each time (twice for each setting). I guess it could be a third party application that is not allowing it to lock. I will play a bit more with it tomorrow.

    cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

    Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
  11. #11  
    Keep us informed. I have deacativated/deleted and so forth something fierce. Everything short of just starting the PDA over, which is an option I am not following up with. Of the three, PDA Defence, Only Me and Teal Lock, Teal Lock has been the most reliable. The easiest to use and the one I really like the best is Only Me. Oh, well.

    Ben

    -----------

    Quote Originally Posted by cash70
    I have tried 10, 20, and 30 minutes without any problems. PDA Defense activated each time (twice for each setting). I guess it could be a third party application that is not allowing it to lock. I will play a bit more with it tomorrow.

    cash70
  12. Minsc's Avatar
    Posts
    967 Posts
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    #12  
    Some of you may already be using this, but I recently started using TreoHelper (which is free, BTW) to trigger the built-in security app to "lock" the Treo. What this means is, I don't need to set the security to lock my device after XX number of hours or minutes. -Basically it's always off, which is a HUGE convenience from a usability standpoint.
    Should the unthinkable happen and my Treo gets lost or stolen, all I need to do is send an SMS message to my Treo with the word "lock" in the subject line. TreoHelper will see this SMS, and instantly lock the device. Pretty slick!
  13. #13  
    I use TreoHelper, PDA Defense, and LockMe together and love it. Id point you to my long posts about it but d@mmit the thread is gone....

    Like Minsc, I dont have a lock delay. If I lose it I would SMS it (or call a friend to SMS it) to lock it. If they try 3 times to unlock it, then the device goes BOOM, bit wiped, erased. I use LockMe to schedule a lock in the middle of the night and lock on reset, just in case.

    OK Ill give a secret away... I also have an app that is disguised as a normal app, but it locks the palm when launched. Its in several places in my launchers so anyone that picks up my Treo and plays with it is likely to trigger the b00by trap. heh.

    I would stay away from TealLock, it has problems and Teal just tells me "Oh well, dont use it that way".
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc
    Some of you may already be using this, but I recently started using TreoHelper (which is free, BTW) to trigger the built-in security app to "lock" the Treo. What this means is, I don't need to set the security to lock my device after XX number of hours or minutes. -Basically it's always off, which is a HUGE convenience from a usability standpoint.
    Should the unthinkable happen and my Treo gets lost or stolen, all I need to do is send an SMS message to my Treo with the word "lock" in the subject line. TreoHelper will see this SMS, and instantly lock the device. Pretty slick!
    If you don't have a lock delay, doesn't that mean you have to punch in your password everytime you use the Treo? That is what I'm trying to avoid - while still having some security in case I lose it.

    I love the idea of being able to SMS a "lock" command to the phone. I actually thought of that a few months ago when I thought I had lost my Treo - I wished that there was some way to activate the lock or just do a hard reset by sending a special text message - but I couldn't find any applications that did it and am unable to develop such a thing myself.

    I hadn't heard of Treohelper, but just installed it. I have version 0.68, which seems to be the newest available but was designed for the 180/270/300 because it has features dealing with keeping it on while the lid is closed.

    I love the feature that automatically turns on the phone after a reset! That was always an annoyance.

    OK, here's my question: How do you set Treohelper to lock the phone via SMS? There's not much in the way of useful documentation that I can find. I'm in the SMS section of the application, and there is a checkbox that says "Enable this SMS trigger" with "trigger text" and a blank space beneath it. If I type "lock" in that space, is that it? Seems too easy, but I don't see anything else that would set it up.

    Thanks
  15. Minsc's Avatar
    Posts
    967 Posts
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    #15  
    If you don't have a lock delay, doesn't that mean you have to punch in your password everytime you use the Treo? That is what I'm trying to avoid - while still having some security in case I lose it.
    No, that's exactly what I'm avoiding too - I actually have my security turned "off", in the sense that it isn't automatically locking. (by choosing "never" in the auto-lock handhelp option in the security app) It will only lock if I manually choose the "Turn off and lock device" option from the security menu, OR if I send the triggering SMS for TreoHelper.
    OK, here's my question: How do you set Treohelper to lock the phone via SMS? There's not much in the way of useful documentation that I can find. I'm in the SMS section of the application, and there is a checkbox that says "Enable this SMS trigger" with "trigger text" and a blank space beneath it. If I type "lock" in that space, is that it? Seems too easy, but I don't see anything else that would set it up.
    You've almost git it, the only other thing you need to do is choose lock from the "Launch" drop-down menu. Then just test it by sending yourself an SMS with the word lock in it. BTW, you can choose whatever text string you want for the trigger text - it doesn't have to be "lock."
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc
    No, that's exactly what I'm avoiding too - I actually have my security turned "off", in the sense that it isn't automatically locking. (by choosing "never" in the auto-lock handhelp option in the security app) It will only lock if I manually choose the "Turn off and lock device" option from the security menu, OR if I send the triggering SMS for TreoHelper.


    You've almost git it, the only other thing you need to do is choose lock from the "Launch" drop-down menu. Then just test it by sending yourself an SMS with the word lock in it. BTW, you can choose whatever text string you want for the trigger text - it doesn't have to be "lock."
    This is great! Thanks so much for your help. My dreams are actually coming true! Well, not the ones involving Anna Kournikova, but this is a start...
  17. #17  
    Ok, what problem are you having with Teal Lock? It functions perfectly on my Spripnt Treo 6o0.

    Ben

    ==============

    I would stay away from TealLock, it has problems and Teal just tells me "Oh well, dont use it that way".[/QUOTE]
  18. #18  
    Here you go - in Treo Helper, under SMS, create an entry, mark the Enable this SMS trigger and in the Trigger text area, put in something like lock

    In the launch area, select "lock."

    Do not mark Delay launch until asleep

    Anyway, send an SMS message to your phone: yourphonenumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com
    in the subject line enter lock
    Then send it off
    when it hits your phone, it will popup and when the person taps it, the lcking process begins.

    Also, you might consider entering the trigger text as

    lock and another entry as Lock

    Now, you cannot guarantee a SMS message will arrive, so it is not full proof. For instance, the person with it is in an elevator or a big building that the signal cannot get to...

    I use TreoHelper and Teal Lock in combination with no problems at all.



    ----------
    OK, here's my question: How do you set Treohelper to lock the phone via SMS? There's not much in the way of useful documentation that I can find. I'm in the SMS section of the application, and there is a checkbox that says "Enable this SMS trigger" with "trigger text" and a blank space beneath it. If I type "lock" in that space, is that it? Seems too easy, but I don't see anything else that would set it up.

    Thanks[/QUOTE]
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger
    Ok, what problem are you having with Teal Lock? It functions perfectly on my Spripnt Treo 6o0.
    Does the SMS activation actually bring up the TealLock screen for you or just the system's default screen? On mine (and others) it only shows the default, which will not activate features like wipe, encryption, etc. This is one reason why I use PDA Defense.

    Copy and pasted from my post in topic "OnlyMe":

    With KeyGaurd enabled, sometimes when you launch the Phone app it will open in "locked mode" where you can only dial emergency numbers, and the device ends up locked. This bug is known by Teal and their answer is to "not use KeyGaurd". Uhuh
    EDIT: IIRC this only happened to me when turning the device on by launching Phone with the button.

    Ive read posts where people found ways around the lock, like pressing "Goto" in the alarm dialouge for a calendar alarm. There was a workaround, something like encrypting the database to disable alarms?

    TealLock will not respond to the standard lock mechanism, meaning you cannot use programs like mSafe or TreoHelper to lock your Treo from an SMS. TealLock has no plans to fix this.
    EDIT: In all fairness I think that the SMS lock could be accomplished by altering TreoHelper (the code) to send a shortcut command to activate TealLock's screen. Not sure though...
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
  20. #20  
    It actually brings up the default screen to lock it and at that screen, the password must be entered to proceed further. The default system does not provide the advanced options you describe below.

    PDA Defense worked great for only one day. After that, it was hit and miss something fierce. OnlyMe worked great, other than the back light coming on and off every few minutes and the timer value had to be kept relatively low.

    Teal Lock has worked the best so far with no inconsistencies.

    I do not use Key Guard and have not for months.

    From my testing, none of the programs I tried worked with the built-in locking system.

    The statement at the end of your post is incorrect. TreoHelper works very well at locking the Treo 600, though it may take a few minutes for the message to arrive.

    Ben


    -----------------------------------------------------------

    Quote Originally Posted by ThirdType
    Does the SMS activation actually bring up the TealLock screen for you or just the system's default screen? On mine (and others) it only shows the default, which will not activate features like wipe, encryption, etc. This is one reason why I use PDA Defense.

    Copy and pasted from my post in topic "OnlyMe":

    With KeyGaurd enabled, sometimes when you launch the Phone app it will open in "locked mode" where you can only dial emergency numbers, and the device ends up locked. This bug is known by Teal and their answer is to "not use KeyGaurd". Uhuh
    EDIT: IIRC this only happened to me when turning the device on by launching Phone with the button.

    Ive read posts where people found ways around the lock, like pressing "Goto" in the alarm dialouge for a calendar alarm. There was a workaround, something like encrypting the database to disable alarms?

    TealLock will not respond to the standard lock mechanism, meaning you cannot use programs like mSafe or TreoHelper to lock your Treo from an SMS. TealLock has no plans to fix this.
    EDIT: In all fairness I think that the SMS lock could be accomplished by altering TreoHelper (the code) to send a shortcut command to activate TealLock's screen. Not sure though...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions