Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger
    Keep us informed. I have deacativated/deleted and so forth something fierce. Everything short of just starting the PDA over, which is an option I am not following up with. Of the three, PDA Defence, Only Me and Teal Lock, Teal Lock has been the most reliable. The easiest to use and the one I really like the best is Only Me. Oh, well.

Ben
    I have tried to recreate the problem you mentioned with different time settings and PDA Defense has locked the Treo every time. Here are the third party apps that I have installed:

Agendus
    PocketTunes
    SplashShopper
    DoInventory
    Workouts
    AfterSync
    BlueSync
    Botzam Backup
    Cleanup
    FileZ
    Qset
    quickSnap
    vindigo
    Auto Slate
    Dir Assist
    MetrO
    Adobe Reader
    ClipPRO
    HandZipperLite
    JpegWatchLite
    PocketLingo
    QuickOffice
    AvantGo
    SnapperMail
    TrafficStat
    DopeWars
    Madness Manager
    SyncAll
    TimeCopy
    TreoHelper
    Uninstall
    ZLauncher

cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger
    It actually brings up the default screen to lock it and at that screen, the password must be entered to proceed further. The default system does not provide the advanced options you describe below.
    Thats what Im trying to get at. With TealLock, all you get is the default lock screen when the device is locked by an external app like TreoHelper. None of TealLock's features work when the default screen is up. You might as well not have TealLock installed at that point. IIRC even scheduled locks will not work when the default screen is up.

With PDA Defense, its built-in lock screen DOES come up when other apps lock the device. On that note, it has a stealth mode that looks like the default screen, not giving away the fact that the theif is 3 tries away from bit-wiping the memory. The only clue is the masked password entry (emailed author for an option to disable that).
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    Not significantly different and so it is frustrating to have it work the first time and not after that. It was the perfect answer for me until... However, with Treo Lock, it has not failed yet.

Ben

[QUOTE=cash70]I have tried to recreate the problem you mentioned with different time settings and PDA Defense has locked the Treo every time. Here are the third party apps that I have installed:
    I understand that and that would be a nice Teal Lock option. At that point though, your data should still be considered safe regardless of how many times it is reset. Ben

---------------

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdType
    Thats what Im trying to get at. With TealLock, all you get is the default lock screen when the device is locked by an external app like TreoHelper. None of TealLock's features work when the default screen is up. You might as well not have TealLock installed at that point. IIRC even scheduled locks will not work when the default screen is up.

With PDA Defense, its built-in lock screen DOES come up when other apps lock the device. On that note, it has a stealth mode that looks like the default screen, not giving away the fact that the theif is 3 tries away from bit-wiping the memory. The only clue is the masked password entry (emailed author for an option to disable that).
    BTW, PDA Defense wont do a delay lock if the trial period has expired.

bclinger, try this:
    Lock your Treo using TealLock.
    Send it a normal SMS, not a lock one.
    When it arrives on the Treo, tap "Goto"
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    Any lock is better than none. As for Teal Lock wih a normal SMS message and tapping the "Goto" button - TealLock catches it in the current release. It wakes up with the owner screen and prompts for the password. I tested the function Sunday and again this afternoon. The release I am running is 5.21b

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdType
    BTW, PDA Defense wont do a delay lock if the trial period has expired.

bclinger, try this:
    Lock your Treo using TealLock.
    Send it a normal SMS, not a lock one.
    When it arrives on the Treo, tap "Goto"
    :shortcut:
    Folks, I am in a dilema. I bought my Treo to keep from having to lug a PDA and a phone around. Before I bought it I read up on the security features and felt it was adequate (I was blinded ok , I admit it :-) ) Anyway, now that I have it I realilzed the following:

-If you have your system locked and your phone rings, it can be answered :-(

-If you have your system locked and you receive a SMS message, it allows you not only to see the SMS message and reply, but also see all the previous SMS messages exchanged with that person. :-(

-If you have your system locked and you have a task or calendar item come up, it is viewable.

How can I change this??? Is there some software that will make my Treo more secure buy letting me truly lock it from all activities?? I communicate a lot of information via SMS. None necessarily secret, but if someone steals my phone or I lose it, I want them to know as little about the owner of the phone as possible. When in locked mode it shows who I am and my contact info. That is all I want anyone to have access to when the phone is locked. No incoming phone calls, no incoming SMS, no calendar, task - Squat!

Now...Tell me where I can find software to do this on my Treo 600 (GSM)

Thanks in Advance.
    Im not sure if any software can lock out answering the phone. Im sure your provider could disable it once its stolen. If you put your contact info on the lock screen it would give away who you are anyway. I just put "Return to Sprint, Reward $200" on the screen.

For SMS, CallShield (and maybe upcoming CallFilter update) can stop SMS's from displaying the message and still retain alert sounds.
    EDIT: with updated firmware you can hide the text without CallShield, but will still popup

Use a security app like PDA Defense to stop people from opening certain apps, such as SMS. This way you can keep the device unlocked and only have to enter a password to get into SMS. Note that you could still use the 'Goto' button on the popup to get to SMS if the device UNLOCKED. Use CallShield and prevent the popup to fix that. A good security app will protect it while LOCKED though.

Calendar events can be gaurded with the Private setting per event. It will still sound but just show "Private event". I personally dont worry about this one.

Truly sensitive information like passwords can be kept in a seperate app that has its own encryption. Some examples are Secure It, DataKeeper, Secure Notes Tree, Pro Lock, Be Safe, Ultrasoft DataShield, ...

And of course their is remote locking described in previous posts.

BTW, protecting the Contact list without locking is pretty hard. First you will need a way to make it show up in the application list. Alias Manager can do that, map a shortcut to the app called 'Address Book' and set the shortcut to the 5-way in Phone. Then set the security app to protect the shortcut, and protect Find. You'll also have to protect any app that can do a contact lookup. Blah, easier to remotely lock or set traps.
    Last edited by ThirdType; 05/15/2004 at 01:51 PM. Reason: new firmware
    Anyone know if TealLock or PDA Defense will also bit-wipe the SD card. I have BackupMan set to auto-backup once a day.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12