Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    With Verizon (U.S.’s largest carrier) just about to announce their release of the T6, it is apparent that there will be some improvements to the unit even if it a later firmware. So I was wondering would this release cause folks to jump to Vz? What would it take?
    Better coverage, Better pricing (not likely), Newer Firmware, faster Internet access?
    Would you jump for the $399 discount special?
    What if they gave a trade in swap special and matched your current plan for two years…hummm
    Sorry about the typing errors; I'm all thumbs.
  2. Mordeloth
    It would take an act of God.
    Let's see, my unlocked GSM 600 would bring $450-$600 on eBay. So I'm already ahead of my handspring-subsidized upgrade price. Now were Verizon to offer a subsidized unit for something in the ballpark, I'll switch.

This assumes:
    1) GSM 600s don't flood eBay driving down prices
    2) VZ 600/610 does EV-DO networking offers a $45 PDA data plan like they do for the Kyocera 7135
    In my area I find Sprint's coverage to be the same as Verizons. Therefore I have no reason the switch. Not to mention that I'm under contract with Sprint so I'd have to pay the ETF to change.
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    I use T-mobile here in New Jersey, but there are some towns that I travel to for work that I can't get cell phone reception. However, a Verizon user will get reception in the same area. I would switch to Verizon in a second for better better coverage but I have questions about the data plans.
    My T-mobile phone plan is $39/mo and I use the t-zones $4.99 to access the internet(although I have heard you can connect without t-zones) for unlimited use. T-mobile does have the unlimited $19.99 data plan but I really don't need that right now.
    What are the data coverages/restrictions with carriers such as Sprint/Verizon? I don't know a whole lot about the differences between GSM and CDMA but I do know that I have been in the same room with someone with a Verizon-based phone and they are able to receive signal and I can't due to signal strength. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
    Before I bought my T600, I seriously considered going to Verizon. I absolutely HATED Sprint. Their CS dept was crap and I was getting a lot of dropped calls. Anyway, thanks to number-portability, their CS dept (IMHO) has done a 180 (mostly). Because of that (and the fact that the T600 absolutely ROCKS), I have stayed with Sprint. They have been very accomodating to my complaints and, in one case, made a huge error in my favor. This brings me to why, given almost any price, I would not switch to Verizon. I bought my T600 for $250 after the rebates and Sprint's error. I don't think Verizon is going to let me have their T6XX for that little. Even w/o Sprint's error, I doubt I would switch. The $15/month data plan is just to much to give up. Now include with that my two-year contract and it seals the deal.
    Happy with the 600...happy with Sprint...not going anywhere other than on vacation with the $399.00.

cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    It would take a 320x320 screen, access to E911/GPS chip, an unlimited data plan for around $10 (to match what I have), buy out of my Sprint contract, and all that for $150 after I trade in my current Treo 600.

It's a ridiculous request for me to make, but anything less and I'd feel like I'm taking a loss with my current situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    It would take a 320x320 screen, access to E911/GPS chip, an unlimited data plan for around $10 (to match what I have), buy out of my Sprint contract, and all that for $150 after I trade in my current Treo 600.

It's a ridiculous request for me to make, but anything less and I'd feel like I'm taking a loss with my current situation.
    Ditto, although I'm at $15 for unlimited data. Of course that does include Sprint's Business Connection as well...
    Wouldnt take much for me, Verizon has better coverage here and my experience has been that Sprint CS sux the big one.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirdType
    my experience has been that Sprint CS sux the big one.
    All customer service sucks! I would never change cell companies because of their customer service.

Keeping in mind for those under contract, go ahead and tack on $175.00 to the price of the phone cause that is what it will take to get you out of your contract.

Let’s see:

$599 for phone

$175 early termination fee

$64.97/month for verizons unlimited data plan($49.99) tax included

$250 phone bill (yes I do make voice calls with my treo. Verizions UL data plan does not include voice minuets. Their charge is .25/min I use at least 1000 minuets a month. But most of that is covered with sprints N&W min that start @ 7.

grand total to switch from sprint to verizion: $1088.97
    with a new monthly bill of about: $314.97

I think I will stick with sprint and my $85/month bill with N&W @ 7 and UL vision
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
    I think I'm stuck with Sprint for the duration. I got into PCS Vision when it was first released (11/02?) in Texas, and I have a two phone, 2000 anytime minute plan with free unlimited Vision for $85 a month (before the horrendous taxes). I can't see Verizon ever touching that package, even if they put out a 320x320 screen and substantially increase network speed.

Sprint's been pretty reliable anywhere we travel, and Vision has always been faster than a 56k modem, so with my trusty Treo 600 and folding keyboard, off I go...
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Sprint's been pretty reliable anywhere we travel, and Vision has always been faster than a 56k modem, so with my trusty Treo 600 and folding keyboard, off I go...
    Amen! (except for the folding keyboard)
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    My Phone history.....
    Fittske: love that signature (so that's where my i500 went - I thought it was eBay heaven). You ought to give their folding keyboard a try - great for long run documents and even web browsing - and you can plug in the travel charger while using it in the keyboard connector - next best thing to a notebook in a pinch.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    next best thing to a notebook in a pinch.

I may have to give it at try!
    My Phone history.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordeloth
    It would take an act of God.
    LOL! Yeah I'm with you on that
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Definetly an act of GOD to switch to Verizon. Verizon does not have a prayer in matching Sprint's wireless plan.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    so I gather that 320 wi bt with a rebate on et fee s wont be enough
    what if they though a ivolution case car and cradel charger?
    hummm
    I like the SIM/GSM freedom, but would trade for better coverage. Here's the thing. TMo treats me like a person. $39.00/mo for 1,000 anytime + unlimited nights and weekends. Another $19.99 for unlimited data. I'm a month to month customer. What are the odds Verizon will even come close?
  20.    #20  
    Hey if Vz add an $80 plan with the above Vz will quickly pry my egriped blistered hands from my then outdated cellpda. Of course I think us bleeding edge’ers would or will still jump just to have the latest and greatest toy.
    Sorry about the typing errors; I'm all thumbs.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast