Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    tried the .13b version and the reset thing when switching profiles using the option+vol keys is gone! great work jishaq! now we wait for the scheduling function
    Can the keyboard backlight be controlled and set within a profile? I cant seem to find where to set this pref on my Treo.
    There's a few options that aren't in preferences. On in cradle is one of them (which I'd love to have) and keyboard backlight is another. Right now the only way to set a profile with it is by pressing opt + P, but that setting doesn't stay put after your device turns off. I'm sure keyboard backlight options are in the list of features jishaq is working on since so many of us have asked for them. I for one would be incredibly greatful to have this since Treo Allegro never worked right
    I primarily use 2 profiles. I have 2 more that are used infrequently. I would like to be able to set the main 2 as a primary with a hot key press of x and as a secondary with a hot key press of y (letters are just variables here). I dont want to have to press the opt and vol to scroll thru a list to a particular profile.
    Suggestion to add to my previous post: offer an option to switch between 2 primary profiles by sliding the top muting button. This would be great in addition to having the regular way to choose a profile from a list.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by experiment626
    offer an option to switch between 2 primary profiles by sliding the top muting button
    Yeah, I actually looked into this when I was first designing Profiler, and it seemed to be very difficult to work with the slider. But I agree, this would be a great way to affect a change in Profiler.

Your other suggestions are already incorporated into my todo list, a lot of people have asked (mostly before these forums crashed) for a better way of switching profiles than the current system of using two hands: one for option and the other for volUp/volDown keys. I'm still not sure what I was thinking at the time when I implemented that system. It is a paramont design goal of mine to allow users to switch profiles as rapidly as possible, so don't worry about this.

-Jeff Ishaq
    Palm OSŪ Certified Developer
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jennyfur
    I'm sure keyboard backlight options are in the list of features jishaq is working on since so many of us have asked for them. I for one would be incredibly greatful to have this since Treo Allegro never worked right
    Yes, this is a high priority on my list. I also like the idea of having Profiler recalling and applying the proper Wireless Mode, so you can define an "Airplane" profile with Wireless set to off, for example.

-Jeff Ishaq
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Barring any new crash bugs that come up, my top priority is implementing scheduling, which I'm actively working on.
    Good news, scheduling profiles is almost ready for you guys to beta test. After a solid week of design, I just need to tighten up the scheduling algorithm a bit more and slap a UI on so you can enter and list rules. Some things to think about in the interim:

1) For this version, to keep logic 'simple', rules cannot span multiple days. So if you want a "bedtime" rule that runs every night from 10:00 PM til 8:00 AM the next day, you have to break it up onto two separate rules:

bedtime 1: 10:00 PM -> 11:59 PM
    bedtime 2: 12:00 AM -> 8:00 AM

2) Rules will have priorities that the user can modify. This is kind of like Windows task priorities -- not too useful in the eyes of end users, but it really opens up the flexibility of scheduling profiles; for example, this allows for timer-based profile rules ("go into movie profile for the next two hours").

3) The UI to add/list rules won't be too fancy. I hope you don't mind, but I'm eager to get the schedulable Profiler out so you folks can give me input. Plus the UI will probably change a bunch anyway, so I don't want to spend too much time on it up front.

4) I'm getting married in just over two weeks, so if I disappear, it's only temporary. I am fully committed to getting Profiler tested, debugged, and released with all the bells and whistles.

-Jeff Ishaq
    Congratulations on your upcoming wedding Jishaq! I wish you a successful marriage and a happy, fulfilling life with her
    congratulations... may both of you live happily ever after.
    jishaq

This is good news. I can't wait for the beta. I'm glad you printed out the thread before it crashed.
    My congrats on the wedding as well!

Great to hear about the profile scheduling progress, I'm eager to test it out
    Congrats and have fun on the honeymoon Just dont let her distract you from the important things in life (Treo of course). j/k
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    First, thanks so much for your good wishes with my wedding and subsequent married life! I'm really looking forward to some R&R on our honeymoon in Banff: I hear there is excellent hiking and mountain biking there.

Wedding planning has been hectic as we enter the final two week stretch ... but not hectic enough to keep me from slaving away on Profiler! I've thrown the finishing touches on Rules, and changed the UI a little bit to allow for creation and modification of rules. Please check it out on Handango, the URL for Profiler is:

http://www.handango.com/PlatformProd...oductId=113154

Note that Handango is being predictably lame in updating the live PRC to match the latest version that I've just uploaded, so if you download the PRC and it still is 0.13b, try again later.

This is the first pass at scheduling, so the full implementation (timed profiles, snoozing profiles, etc) is not there. I want to root out the bugs in the core scheduling algorithms before I throw in the really fancy stuff. Let me know what you think, and how things work. Once I get the rules a little more stable, I want to focus on some of the Profile-specific features everybody has been asking for. Supporting backlight/keylight modes, assigning hotkeys, and such. Here are problems I already know about in Version 0.14b, please exercise caution:

• Possible to enter rule with start time after end time and vice versa
    • Possible to enter rules that conflict with eachother
    • Possible to delete a Profile that a Rule uses

Happy testing! Thanks as always for your support,
    -Jeff Ishaq
    I updated. The new version seemed to get rid of all the profiles that I had entered previously (none showed when I opened Profiler) but when I used opt/vol, the old profiles were there. They looked sort of hazy when I tried to switch profiles. The screen clouded and was hard to read. So I went in through the Zlauncher file manager and deleted everything and started clean.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Oh, I bet the structure of a profile record has changed between 0.13 and 0.14. I'll try to update this so that it behaves properly, so that you don't have to lose profiles when updating to this version.

Thanks,
    -Jeff Ishaq
    Palm OS(R) Certified Developer
    I've been using profiler with the scheduler for some time now... What can I say, it's a winner!!! However, the "rules" button isn't accessible with the d-pad. Aside from that though, everything's peachy. Great work jishaq!!!
    It will be nice to have a reminder on what is the current profile when the Treo 600 is switch on/off as an option.
    what has happened to profiler??? It suddenly is asking me for a registration code! I thought it was a free beta??? Jishaq, where ru?! Help!!!
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by manilenio
    what has happened to profiler??? It suddenly is asking me for a registration code! I thought it was a free beta??? Jishaq, where ru?! Help!!!
    Well, Profiler is a timed beta. That means that it's a test build for beta users to download, at their own risk, and try out -- it's how I can get feedback and bug reports before I release the official Version 1.0 product. Most beta programs time out, and this is so the developer can prevent having users running stale code.

I'd love to pick up Profiler and put some finishing touches on it, and market it a little better. I think it has great potential on the Treo, plus it also supports any Palm OS platform, for Tungsten/Zire/Etc users who might want to have timed profiles for whatever reason. But I have had numerous things in my life occur that have kept it on the back burner for far too long. I've thought about hiring a consultant to finish it off, but I don't think I can afford it at this point.

I'm currently writing two books in parallel on the Treo 600, for two different publishers. I have been interviewing for Treo-related jobs with some Silicon Valley legends, and that has been exciting but very exhausting. I've had two family crises crop up back-on-back over the past month, and I'm still working full time as all this unfolds. So Profiler is sitting relative untouched, the way it has for a few months now.

I will try to release a new beta that simply has the timer disabled so people can continue to use it for free.

-Jeff Ishaq
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast